Anyone had any experiences with lucid dreaming?

My wife has a lucid dream she explained to me once.

She was being chased by rabid dogs and during the chase told herself, "this is a dream, I can stop this" and then *poof* she turned them into the Animaniacs. They started going "boingy, boingy" in the opposite direction.

Then she woke up.

I only recall this happening twice in my life, the second being about a month ago.

When I was young I was dreaming I was about to get beat up. The more recent time I was having a dream that, without going into detail, scared the crap out of me. Both times, before the worst part, I thought, "Wait a second, this is a dream," and then woke up.

I've never known it's possible to control the dream once you hit that point. Maybe in 20 years when it happens again I'll try it.

[quote name='killermike3706']Recently came upon this subject and it really interested me. So does any one have any experience or take on lucid dreaming?[/quote]

Not sure if this counts but I have recurring dreams about leaping extreme heights and/or distances and being able to change directions while gliding back down. There have been a few times during this dream that my dream-self realized it was a dream and then I was able to "consciously" manipulate my dream-self to accomplish even more fantastic feats.

I have these dreams where i'm being chased by something i can't see, it's always just a shadow. Had one last night that scared the fucking shit out of me. I woke up screaming. It's the first time it's happened in a couple of years.

I occasionally have lucid dreams. Only once, maybe twice, can I remember being able to control the dream. But there have been a handful of times, besides those two, where I realize I am dreaming. Sometimes I just wake up, and sometimes I realize I am dreaming and can't seem to wake up. Sort of reminds me of Nightmare on Elm Street.

I've had a few lucid dreams, but moreso the ones where I can control what's going on. For example, after watching the X-Men films, I had Magneto's powers and was doing a bunch of stupid shit at the mall.

I once had a dream in which I realized I was dreaming and then took control. I was running through what I recall to look like a grave yard on the coast where it was ofcourse dark. I was being chased by the five-cero when I took control and began to fly. I flew around for a bit before ending up in a convenience store where I completely forgot I was in control and resumed simply dreaming.

Who knew ADD would be a factor in dreams?

I have them somewhat regularly - 2 or 3 times a month. They usually occur shortly before I wake up, or at least those are the ones I remember. It seems like I can trigger it if I really want to, especially if I wake up during the night and make a conscious effort to have one when falling back asleep (again, this might be cause you only remember the last dream each night).

They always take the same form - in the middle of the dream I suddenly realize it's a dream.....it gives you a euphoric feeling. Over time you do get a sense of control over what happens, but the control doesn't last long, often slips in and out (the lucidity is there and then fades) and usually ends fast by waking up. When I have control I usually just fly around, change the 'setting' and/or make things slowly explode/deconstruct.

I remember answering a topic like this on CAG I think..

I never had any lucid dreaming. I guess I can see it's a dream, but not realize it is one to the point of controlling it. Although sometimes I deal with situations like how I would in real life like I wouldn't go kiss a guy in my dream that's not my bf or do anything bad. Weird stuff.

My bf on the other hand can fly, shoot/kick/fight down his nightmares, and all these other fun stuff. I deserve to fly too! -_- Anyone know why some people can lucid dream and others can't? Is it just will power or what?

I used to do this all the time as a kid. I could literally go to bed thinking of something that I wanted to experience as a dream, then fall asleep and actually do it. Somewhere along the way I lost that ability, but it was very cool while it lasted. I always woke up remembering my dreams, and I always knew I was dreaming but it still was very real.

[quote name='JolietJake']I've heard that there are ways to induce lucid dreaming.[/QUOTE]

At one point, I had a website bookmarked that contained a step-by-step process for giving yourself lucid dreams.

[quote name='rabbitt']At one point, I had a website bookmarked that contained a step-by-step process for giving yourself lucid dreams.[/QUOTE]

Reveal.

I can usually control it pretty much on will but by doing so I don't get as deep a sleep as I normally would. Hence whenever I have a dream, I just let the dream play out.

For example, once I was having a dream Jason was chasing me and so I was like, "Hey this is a dream!" and so I stopped and tried to get adamantium claws to come out of my fist.

It didn't work.

But I immediately woke up right after.

Back in the day (I'm 41 now), I used to be fascinated with dreams. I did a paper on lucid dreaming, read numerous books on dreams, kept a dream log...and I would fairly regularly have lucide dreams. They almost always ended up with me flying or doing something naughty with the girl (or girls) of my dreams.

It helps to tell yourself as you are going to sleep that you will remember and be able to control your dreams. And definitely keep a dream log. As soon as you wake up write down everything you can remember about any of your dreams. Once you have more control of your dreams in the waking world, you start to gain a little more control of them in the dream world. Dreams are fascinating, and make for a really interesting thing to study and try and control.

Only time I can recall was in grade school. Had a dream about being at school and there was some worm-monster outside (like Tremors, or the Zone-Eater from FFVI). I noticed a set of doors that lead outside were incorrect, metal with pull handles instead of glass with push bars. Somehow I realized it was a dream, and gave myself super powers. The dream ended shortly thereafter.

Somewhat related(good movie too):
waklife1.jpg

I have them alot, very frequently in fact.

The thing is, my dreams arent very exciting, most of them would be downright mind numbingly boring even in real life.

I remember a dream where i woke up in the morning and sat down to watch classic old saturday morning cartoons like the Road Runner and Pepe Le Pew, at some point i remembered it was a dream so I magically conjured up a blanket and a bowl or Rice crispies cereal.....And thats it, A very very bland dream. i woke up with a craving for rice crispies though.

I also have dreams where im waiting in a pepetual line for something (Unknown) and dancing to the Tune of Bob Marley's "One Love" while smoking a cigar and drinking Vodka.

Sometimes, i experience alot of Deja Vu, due to many very mundane dreams i have of waiting in line, talking to friends, walking to work, riding my bike or listening to music...Not the normal fantasy dreams some have.

I bet there's some sort of weird psychological explination for it all, but i just dont give a flying fuck.

[quote name='dastly75']Somewhat related(good movie too):
waklife1.jpg
[/quote]

I Hated every second of this movie, EVERY SECOND!!!, Goddamit it's so fucken pretentious, if i wanted to hear a bunch of Overcaffinated college students talk about BS while tripping out, I'll go hang out at the USC Starbucks and do about twenty lines of coke off my philosphy textbook and watch the magic happen.

(Also, this movie is the reason i couldnt go anywhere near the movie "A Scanner Darkly" although Keanu Reeves helped Deter me)

I've never been able to lucid dream =[ i want to, i rarely remember dreams that i have each night, probably once or twice a month, i guess i'm too stressed out/dont get enough sleep, i usually dream when there's something bothering me (physical wise, which is if i'm sleeping on my arm or something).

I have this 1 base dream that's repeated like 3 times and to make it better i've had like 7 sequels to it. Each of the 7 continuing off of the prior one.

To top it off all my dreams are zombie dreams or sex dreams. No combination of the two though.

I had this dream where I was falling off of like a skyscraper, and when I reach the ground I keep thinking that I am going to die. But when I reach the ground I'm still alive and I continue to run off in any direction.

Does that count as a lucid dream?

[quote name='joe2187']
I Hated every second of this movie, EVERY SECOND!!!, Goddamit it's so fucken pretentious, if i wanted to hear a bunch of Overcaffinated college students talk about BS while tripping out, I'll go hang out at the USC Starbucks and do about twenty lines of coke off my philosphy textbook and watch the magic happen.

(Also, this movie is the reason i couldnt go anywhere near the movie "A Scanner Darkly" although Keanu Reeves helped Deter me)[/quote]

umm it's just a movie...get over it? Some people enjoy it and aren't so sensitive to abstract viewpoints that they have to go and label it as pretentious and pseduo-intellectual.

Stereotyping, what fun.

[quote name='dastly75']umm it's just a movie...get over it? Some people enjoy it and aren't so sensitive to abstract viewpoints that they have to go and label it as pretentious and pseduo-intellectual.

Stereotyping, what fun.[/quote]

of course its just a movie, It just seemed like it went out of its way to annoy the shit out of me. I have an open mind towards what it's trying to say...But the animation and the way the movie portrays itself was naseuating, Maybe it was just the animation that annoyed the crap out of me.

I generally don't have nightmares that freak me out even when stuff happens that should be scary. Like maybe I'll be attacked by whatever but I'll end up just kicking ass like I'm some sort of commando.

Or sometimes I'll dream I told off somebody I know IRL that has been cheesing me off and as I wake up I think "Oh crap I shouldn't have done that, there's going to be repurcussions there." which quickly fades to "Oh wait that was just a dream. Ha! That felt great!"

Now I don't think I'm conciously thinking in my dream that it's all in my head so I can do whatever I want but it just seems to play out that way.

[quote name='dastly75']Somewhat related(good movie too):
waklife1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

great Waking life reference, the movie was VERY dialog based.. but really makes you think.

Anyway, I've had a few lucid dreams, but it seems as SOON as I realize "hey this is a dream" and start to control it, I wake up. I almost have to sort of lie to myself saying "hey this is a dream... or is it?" but that never works. My friend was on a big dream kick for a while,. he said he found a few sites that had audio to play when your going to sleep that are supposed to help induce lucid dreams.

[quote name='JolietJake']I've heard that there are ways to induce lucid dreaming.[/QUOTE]

They sell those eye covers with small lights inside that begin to flash once REM dreaming is picked up.

There are other methods as well. I seem to be in more control when taking like a Tylenol cold or Pm type medicine. Nothing too crazy, and have not pursued it.

[quote name='rabbitt']http://www.dreamviews.com/learnable.php[/quote]

Interesting site.

I always credited the fact that I record my dreams every morning for the ability to have Lucid dreams. I keep a journal next to the bed and document any vivid dreams the moment I wake up. There is a brief period when you wake up where you still have some clarity over dreams. Who knows, but maybe bridging this gap of consciousness and dreams goes both ways.

Either way, recording dreams as soon as you wake up leads to some interesting stuff. Even reading what you wrote a few hours later can be like reading someone elses work.....it's very weird stuff. Get a few years worth of dreams, and it makes for some trippy reading through your own subconscious.

Not sure that this will help anyone, but if you really want to try to develop the ability...or whatever it is....that might help.

I read about this after watching a particular movie I won't name because it would ruin the plot. The key is to condition yourself to recognize impossibilities in a dream (appearances by old high school friends at the age they were back then, being chased by Freddy Kreuger, etc.) that trigger your brain into realizing you are dreaming, and then being able to gain full control of it. I think the first step is supposed to be repeating something to yourself over and over until you fall asleep like "When I am dreaming I will know that I am dreaming." and accepting that it could take days/weeks/months/never to condition yourself.

Yes.

It started with me revealing myself to a female friend in class. I don't exactly know what my motives were, but I do remember the teacher saying very bluntly that she never wanted to see that again. I was so embarassed that I thought this couldn't be happening and that I had to be dreaming. Enter lucidity....

Naturally, the first thing I wanted to do was have sex with that girl. She suddenly appeared naked on a bed infront of me. She seemed somewhat unconscious. Yet, for some reason, I just couldn't have sex with her. It was kind of like putting two positive magnets together....I just couldn't find the whole.

Freudian theory says this means that I'm really insecure, as I couldn't have sex with a girl in my own lucid dreams. The unconsciousness was because the girl wouldn't be there otherwise ( or so I'd think ).

Other stuff happened in the dream that basically said that inside I blame my mother for my ineptitude with women and that I also hate her.....I'd really have to explain some Freudian theory to get this all to make sense. I think I've went off on an unproductive tangent, though.

[quote name='GTzerO']Yes.

It started with me revealing myself to a female friend in class. I don't exactly know what my motives were, but I do remember the teacher saying very bluntly that she never wanted to see that again. I was so embarassed that I thought this couldn't be happening and that I had to be dreaming. Enter lucidity....

Naturally, the first thing I wanted to do was have sex with that girl. She suddenly appeared naked on a bed infront of me. She seemed somewhat unconscious. Yet, for some reason, I just couldn't have sex with her. It was kind of like putting two positive magnets together....I just couldn't find the whole.

Freudian theory says this means that I'm really insecure, as I couldn't have sex with a girl in my own lucid dreams. The unconsciousness was because the girl wouldn't be there otherwise ( or so I'd think ).

Other stuff happened in the dream that basically said that inside I blame my mother for my ineptitude with women and that I also hate her.....I'd really have to explain some Freudian theory to get this all to make sense. I think I've went off on an unproductive tangent, though.[/quote]

Best Advice...fuck frued (not literally of course, that's what he wants you to do...fucken pervert prick)

Also, Sex helps...Either way you choose to go.

[quote name='joe2187']Best Advice...fuck frued (not literally of course, that's what he wants you to do...fucken pervert prick)

Also, Sex helps...Either way you choose to go.[/quote]

Someone's lazily ignorant.

[quote name='joe2187']yes[/quote]

Now if you were to say " Freud's theories are not science seeing as they cannot be proved wrong. If a person denies having an Oedipus complex then they are seen a repressing it. Also, Freud was heavy into cocaine. " instead of " fucken pervert", then you would seem less lazily ignorant.

I do still belive in repression though. Why else would Mega-church pastors buy meth through male hookers ( which the have had sex with )?

I have them... most of the time. Actually, it's pretty rare that I don't have a dream I'm not in control of. Hell, I can't even remember the last non-lucid dream I've had. The problem is, when I have a lucid dream, I act like I normally would when what I really want to do is just go around raping everyone.

Wait...

I have had a few.

The last one I was on the roof of a very tall building being chased by Zombies. I realized that I dreaming and decided to see what would happen if I simply jumped of the roof. Woke up right before hitting the pavement.

Can't say I have. However new years of 07 I passed out at a friends place and had a dream about a Tiger trying to get my feet. I was running and running and running then realized it was just a cat playing with my feet when I was still a little drunk in my sleep. Then the cat jumped on my head and sat there. Then jumped off of my head on to a table. Then I went back to sleep.

When I was in high school and middle school I use to do alot of lucid dreaming and that REM intrusion stuff.

I would have lucid dreams where i could control everything and do stuff. I use to be able to make myself realize I was dreaming by forcing myself to look at the clock or a book while dreaming and it would just be like gibberish or something and then I would snap into like control and realize I was dreaming. Then sometimes you would lose control and go back to dreaming.

What was worse were those REM intrusion things. Where you feel like you are almost awake but you can move, open your eyes, or move anything. Thats probably the oldest thing I remember scaring me when I was like 6 yrs old where it felt like I was going to suffocate because I couldnt move on the bed. That use to happen quite frequently in high school where I would try to tell myself to get up but I couldn't get it moving, etc.

I dont know what has happened since. Haven't had a lucid dream I've remembered in years, and the same thing with the REM intrusion sleep paralysis stuff. So I guess it is a toss up.

[quote name='JolietJake']I have these dreams where i'm being chased by something i can't see, it's always just a shadow. Had one last night that scared the fucking shit out of me. I woke up screaming. It's the first time it's happened in a couple of years.[/quote]

oh my god, that made me LOL. don't get me wrong, i'm not laughing at you, since i've had similar experiences. it's just imagining a grown man (be it you, me, or whoever) waking up screaming from a nightmare.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I have a recurring dream where my teeth fall out. Its really fucking weird. :D[/quote]same here, although it's more of a really loose tooth that i can pull out with ease. then im scared that it's really happening and now i have missing teeth in real life. that's the dream that recures the most for me.

i have lucid dreams every so often, probably as many times as i dream regularly. it usually ends up with me making it into some sexual scenario, which i really can't complain about.

i also have issues with what i think is what people refer to as an incubus, where you're concious but dreaming at the same time and i think some supernatural force is grabbing my legs. it's really freaky and quite scary.

bread's done
Back