Anyone had this happen? v. Ebay

Strife025

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Someone used Buy It Now for .hack//quarantine on Ebay.

I stated in the auction I will only ship to verified Paypal buyers. This person has 0 feedback and an unverified Paypal account.

The address is address removed which is residential at least form looking at satellite view on google maps. But it still seems shady considering the ebay account was created today.

Is there an options where you can relist the item with no additional fees if you don't accept a buyer? I'd hate to have to pay more fees just because I don't want to sell to this person.

This is why I hate ebay now, but I'm new here and can't list an item in the Trade forum for 30 days.

[quote name='Strife025']Someone used Buy It Now for .hack//quarantine on Ebay.

I stated in the auction I will only ship to verified Paypal buyers. This person has 0 feedback and an unverified Paypal account.

The address is address removed which is residential at least form looking at satellite view on google maps. But it still seems shady considering the ebay account was created today.

Is there an options where you can relist the item with no additional fees if you don't accept a buyer? I'd hate to have to pay more fees just because I don't want to sell to this person.

This is why I hate ebay now, but I'm new here and can't list an item in the Trade forum for 30 days.[/QUOTE]

If they've paid already you can refund their payment and get the FVF fee back. The listing and insertion fees are gone forever. It's not in eBay's interests to create a noob-unfriendly market - people have to start somewhere.

Edit: You also really shouldn't be posting someone's personal address here.

Is the address on the payment confirmed or not? If the address is confirmed I would go ahead with it (but of course there is always a chance for problems.) I believe you can have an unverified account with a confirmed address but I'm not sure.

I sell to unconfirmed/unverified buyers for lower value stuff but it's up to you and if you had that as a requirement in your listing then I'm pretty sure eBay will be fine with you sticking to it.

Just FYI it's better to say you require a confirmed ship-to address and not worry about the verification of the account since AFAIK confirmed address is all that matters to PayPal when they look at qualification for the SPP.

[quote name='chemical']
Edit: You also really shouldn't be posting someone's personal address here.[/QUOTE]

Good point, I just stripped it out.

Even with a confirmed address, I'd still wait at least 48 hours before shipping. Papal has this habit of reversing charges because of "potential fraud". Which can tie up funds until they determine whether or not something shady is going on.

I had a similar situation wth a newly created ebay and paypal account buyer. As I was headed to the post office to ship an item to a confirmed Paypal address, I get this notce from paypal saying the funds were frozen from my account because of potential fraud. Paypal would not give me ANY information about what happened.

They gave me a hypothetical situation such as "Someone may have reported this account as being used by an unauthorized user, or they simply lost their ATM card which was tied to their account." After 5 more days, the funds were reversed and I was told by phone I could re-request money from the buyer. I asked again what happened because, obviously, I had lost confidence in the buyers ability or willingness to pay, and they said they couldn't tell me anything to protect the privacy of the buyer. I went batshit crazy on the Paypal rep becuase they were MY funds and my privacy was the one that needed the information to continue a good faith transaction. They wouldn't budge. I just reported it as a non-payment and requested my final value fee back after another 2 weeks.

as long as the paypal address is confirmed you should ship the item. the "verified" doesn't mean anything to you and seller's protection isn't tied to verification but rather "confirmation".

i ship to 0 FB buyers all the time as long as everything is in order.

I thought unverified automatically meant unconfirmed addresses, but yea the address is unconfirmed.

I haven't accepted the money yet and can still deny it, I sent him an email telling him I'd give him until today to email me and see if he can confirm his address.

But an unconfirmed address, 0 feedback, account created the same day he bought my auction is a little shady. And $52 for a game is on the larger side of ones I've sold lately.

Such a pain though that I have to relist and repay the fee now though.

I thought being verified/unverified dealt with linking a paypal account to a bank account while a confirmed address dealt with linking a credit card billing address (though I believe there are additional ways to confirm an address besides having a credit card).

As others have said, the buyer doesn't need to be verified. As long as the address is confirmed by PP, you're covered. I've shipped to new users a few times. As someone else mentioned, everyone has to start somewhere.

Two things (not that I'm an expert):
1) This isn't a valuable game, so the odds of fraud seem low.
2) Conversely, this game is in every single EBGameStop ever, so buying it on eBay seems like a waste of time.

I guess it does seem fishy, but even if they stole this game, it's not like they can turn around and flip it for big $$$ somewhere. If they were going to rip someone off, they'd probably aim for something more valuable. Just my 2c.

[quote name='franz ferdinand']Two things (not that I'm an expert):
1) This isn't a valuable game, so the odds of fraud seem low.
2) Conversely, this game is in every single EBGameStop ever, so buying it on eBay seems like a waste of time.

I guess it does seem fishy, but even if they stole this game, it's not like they can turn around and flip it for big $$$ somewhere. If they were going to rip someone off, they'd probably aim for something more valuable. Just my 2c.[/quote]

Quarantine is actually a pretty tough game to find and runs for about $50 on ebay (unless things have drastically changed in just a handful of months). It still runs for $39.99 at EB/GS if you can find it.

[quote name='thelonepig']Quarantine is actually a pretty tough game to find and runs for about $50 on ebay (unless things have drastically changed in just a handful of months). It still runs for $39.99 at EB/GS if you can find it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it still brings in quite some money. Oddly though, the previous 3 games which used to go for $30-$40 each now only get like $10.:whistle2:|

To the OP, change those settings now in PayPal. They're in your account preferences somewhere... that'll save you a lot of trouble in the future.

"I haven't accepted the money yet and can still deny it"

From that it sounds like he already has his PP set to ask before accepting a payment from an unconfirmed address, which is how mine is set. It's probably best to decline it within a day or so and not string things out. (So hopefully you've declined it by this point if that's what you've decided to do.)

[quote name='thelonepig']Quarantine is actually a pretty tough game to find and runs for about $50 on ebay (unless things have drastically changed in just a handful of months). It still runs for $39.99 at EB/GS if you can find it.[/QUOTE]
Wow, my bad. I just remembered seeing it (with the others) in droves at EB cheap a few years ago.

bread's done
Back