anyone have a kindle?

Got $100 in Amazon credit from trading in games and another $80 from selling junk on Craigslist, planning on purchasing a Kindle sometime next week.

Along with it, I plan on getting an M-Edge Prodigy case (synthetic) and a Mighty Bright Xtraflex 2.

[quote name='cRodz']i would never sell the physical copies of my books.
that is the reason i want the physical copy, to own it. i wanna build a library of my books...eventually:D

and heavens no!
i would never buy music on iTunes and own the right for the digital download. Ever.
i ,too, would rather own the physical copy of the disc.

i guess i am not a digital person. i rather have the physical copies.

But, Yeah i will buy the digital copy if it is the same price as the print version. After all, how would i be able to justify the purchase of my kindle!? lol (which i dont have at this point) =/

one more thing. the kindle app for the blackberry and the iphone is free?
if not, how much is it?
i just have to purchase the e-books for said app right?
i was browsing the kindle page today and i saw that there were apps for phones.

i think it would be a better deal if i buy a nice phone and download the kindle app to my nice phone instead of buying that 250 pad![/QUOTE]

The Kindle app for the PC, iPhone and Blackberry are all free.

^ Yes, but some e-books cost more than their physical copies. Especially when sites like Amazon frequently have extremely cheap prices on real books as well as their kickass B3G1 deals. It adds up. You can't rent e-books from the library either.

Granted though, there are tons of Project Guttenberg type sites offering some serious classics gratis.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']The Kindle app for the PC, iPhone and Blackberry are all free.[/QUOTE]
free?
FREE!

my favorite word in the dictionary. :)

Yes that is also true. i have seen free e-books floating in websites.

wonder if i can grab a blackberry or an iphone and transfer said free e-books to my phone.
Considering that i can connect those phones to the computer, it is possible right?

free e-books
free kindle app
invest on a nice phone

oh god..its too much :hot:

I was just saying you can't complain about the lack of a physical copy if you're going to buy a device like the Kindle, as that's the whole point.

If you want to build a library of physical books, then a Kindle may not be for you unless you want to pay for physical and digital copies of books, just use the Kindle for free books (public domain, even lots of recent books publishers give away--often first books in long series etc.).

And yes you can get those free books to any Kindle--be it a real Kindle, the PC app, the phone apps etc. And yes those apps are free--they make money selling books, the software is very basic. Even iTunes is free right? And that's a much more complex piece of software than the Kindle apps which work fine but are very barebones.

Kindle for PC app is free as noted and can be downloaded here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

No reason to wait until summer to check it out. I'd play around with that, check out free books on the app and see what you think. Amazon has a lot of free books online (look at the best selling Kindle books, a lot at the top are free and there as they're downloaded a ton), or if you go to the Kindle forum at www.mobileread.com a fellow CAG Sporadic keeps a big list of free Kindle books. Also Feedbooks.com has a guide with a ton of free books.

i will wait till summer cause i have classes and i am reading the books from my classes and the homework i get, research papers, blah, blah, blah, studying, blah, blah. [in fact, i stopped reading the Huckleberry Finn book by Mark Twain cause of my classes :whistle2:#]

The computer kindle app doesnt attract me one bit cause i mess and play around in the computer.
I tell myself "Gonna browse CAG, SD, 4chan for a bit" and i waste hours browsing mindlessly in the computer. You know, one things leads to another and so on. So yeh, i would never take reading, homework or any important task seriously on a machine that offers me an internet browser and the internet. :)

Also, no cash or disposable income. :cry:

ugh.

i will be free in the summer so i will grab a blackberry or an iphone. [A blackberry probably. i will have to see.]
I will then grab the free kindle app and download the [free or paid] e-books away.
I dont have a nice phone so i will probably do what i stated above. After all, the kindle itself is quite pricey. :D ;)

Win/Win?
Yes? No?

No harm in that strategy if you want a smart phone anyway. Only draw back is the screen is pretty small, even on something like the i-Phone. But many people are fine reading on those screens, and the App is free so no reason not to give it a shot.

I am so on the fence Dmaul, and you always give awesome advice.

Tell you what. Make something up. I don't care! Make me order a refurbished Kindle. I am so so close to just taking a chance on it. It's less than I spend on a friday drinking binge for goodness sakes...

Edited to add: Nevermind. The Refurbished ones are out of stock.

Re Edited to add: ... And now they are back in stock, but I see no mention of a 1 year warranty.

My sister's boyfriend has a Kindle 2 and you need a crowbar to pry it out of his hands. He said that it's great considering how much traveling and flying he does and it actually has saved him a bit of money compared to how much he would have had to spend on the actual books.

Yeah, that's about it. I can't say anything to make someone buy one other that saying e-readers are a must for any serious reader.

-Saves on having a bunch of bulky books cluttering up the house
-Saves on having to move said books every time you move
-Can have tons of books with you in one small device, so great for travel etc.
-Screen is just as easy on the eyes as paper (but also means not back lit, so you have to read with the same lighting conditions as a real book)
etc.
-And finally, and advantage to the Kindle is having not just the device but being able to get Kindle Apps for the PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, Android etc. and how they all sync up so you can pick up reading on the page you left off on another device.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Kindle. It's great. I love it and definitely recommend it .. particularly if you're like me and do a lot of commuting. (and you're not driving of course :lol:)

I have a Nook and I LOVE it. I did consider getting a kindle for awhile, but what swayed me toward the Nook (other than actually being able to play with it in the store) is the fact that you can rent e-books from libraries with the Nook, and the Kindle doesn't support that at this time.

I just wish you could send the physical copy of books to the publisher and get an ebook version in exchange. It's hard letting go of my library when I have to pay more for the ebook than I ever paid for the physical copy of the same book.

Got my Kindle 2 refurb today.

As advertised it was in original packaging and 100% in like new condition. It's definitely a nice step up from the Kindle 1. Much better designed, quite a bit faster in page turns and navigating the menu. Page turn buttons are much better, being smaller and pushing toward the inside instead of the edge so I'm not bumping next page accidentally all the time like I did the big button on the edge of the K1.

Text was a bit softer/lower contrast than the K1--but I applied the 2.5 software update that was supposed to take the text sharper, and that did make a big difference. The other nice part of that update is the ability to put books into collections (folders basically) rather than just having one long list of books.

So be sure to get that update if you also just got one in this deal. You can leave it on with the WiFi on and wait to eventually have it come through, or you can do it manually. Instruction on Amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200324680

Other tip I'd give is to get the Feedbooks Kindle guide as it gives you access to thousands of free, public domain books that you can download directly to your Kindle through the guide document.

To get the guide document, just go to this URL in the Kindle's web browser: http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

To get to the Kindle browser, go to the home screen, press menu, then go to "Experimental" and launch the browser.

Lastly, for a case I got the MEDGE Go leather case and it's a really nice case. A lot nicer than the official Amazon case and it's $5 cheaper.

Here's a link to the brown one I bought, but you can search for other colors: http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-GO-Jac...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1279147671&sr=8-1-fkmr1

That's also another nice upgrade from the K1--with the hook system and the corner straps in this the Kindle is secure in the case, where as the K1 just kind of set in there and could fall out easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back