Anyone have Comcast services? Need a little help here.

GrimNecroWizard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Right now I just got a new HD TV. I wanna upgrade to the digital cable and get the box to watch shows in HD. I pay over $100 for normal cable and their internet. My friend just called them up last week and said something to the extent of his internet being slow and asked what he could do. They gave him a new modem (Which fixed it) and randomly gave him the digital cable box thing for free. Another friend called and asked about HD and they gave him the box. I called and asked about it and threatened to switch to dish and they said they'd knock a penny off the price for the box each month, which I think was a joke.

What do you have to do to get them to help you out any? I really don't wanna change my internet and I really don't want a dish so yeah...But can anyone help on cheap assing my way into a good deal other than a cheaper price for 6 months which they always have?

Thanks for any help

Comcast is notorious for doing *anything* to keep you as a customer... threaten to cancel your service and you should get something, be it a few months free or more.

[quote name='chrisflyer']Comcast is notorious for doing *anything* to keep you as a customer... threaten to cancel your service and you should get something, be it a few months free or more.[/quote]

??????????? They just said to me....see ya!! after 10 years....and I just wanted the same deal being offer to new customers and I would add phone service!

Leave for at least 6 months and come back......for the best deal....

Call again, sometimes you just have to find that csr that is willing to give you something. Dish network is the same way, you have to call a few times and agree to another year and you usually get free upgrades.

Yea, just keep calling, if you have been under the full price of service for I think 90 days, you can qualify again for whatever promo they're running. You just have to threaten to cancel, or ask nicely. Since they would rather have you as a customer than not, even at the promo price, they're still making money.

Also, you should ask about the HD-DVR combo box. When I signed up for cable a few months ago they gave it to me for the same price as the regular HD box. Not only does it have the DVR but it also has an HDMI output, as opposed to the regular HD box which has DVI.

[quote name='rickc25']Also, you should ask about the HD-DVR combo box. When I signed up for cable a few months ago they gave it to me for the same price as the regular HD box. Not only does it have the DVR but it also has an HDMI output, as opposed to the regular HD box which has DVI.[/quote]

Only the Phase 3 boxes have the HDMI port, but there are 3 different DCT6412's that have DVR and are HD capable The Phase 3's can be identified by the III on the front of the box near the logo. Be sure to ask your installer for one. Ther are more reliable than the 2's or 1's which only have the DVI.

[quote name='veedubkid']check to see if verizon optical is available in your hood. it is suppose to kick cable and dsl's azz and is cheaper too.[/quote]

yeah the verizon fios is slightly cheaper on the tv side of things, and the internet is about 1/4 cheaper and double the speed...even if it isn't available, it will be soon and threaten to leave...

Due to a billing error I've had the intro price for over a year now. I don't call them for any tech support issues for fear that my bill will be fixed. Maybe it has something to do with setting up an automatic payment service but I get all the services I want for about 5% less than the listed price (that being the HD Variety pack and the hockey package) and my internet at home is quite fast and I pay $4 less than the advertised price.

I'm ok with this.

If there is any alternative to Comcast available, take it! They are the biggest crooks ever. I dumped their cable internet service when it would stop working more often than a dial up connection and went with a much cheaper Verizon DSL than goes faster than the're cable internet ever did. I still have comcast cable because I can't get anything else where I am until Verizon bring in their Fios, and their cable service is horrible. I pay around $100 a month to get HD channels that are garbled half the time and without sound the other half.

Thanks for the help...When you get the cable box upgrade don't they charge you like $7 a month just for the box even if you don't get any digital channels? That would be alright if I had that with the DVR thing. Nasum, I got their internet for free for about a year, then it just stopped working so I had to call them up to fix it...

If I were you I'd look into satellite, I've had Comcast for years and up until I got my HD TV a month or so ago they were fine, however once I upgraded to their HD package I saw how much of a joke it is. Besides the basic network channels that anyone can get for free with a tuner (CBS,NBC,FOX etc..) I get about 4 HD channels, INHD, DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, and then a special events HD channel which basically has a Kings game or NFL game on twice a week if I'm lucky other then that it just mirrors whatever is on INHD. I also get FSNHD which literally only shows 2 Sharks a week the rest of the time it is off-air.

DirectTV is supposed to roll out somewhere around 50HD channels this year so I'd seriously consider going that route. I plan to switch after they get them all added. Comcast's HD lineup is nothing short of pathetic.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Thanks for the help...When you get the cable box upgrade don't they charge you like $7 a month just for the box even if you don't get any digital channels? That would be alright if I had that with the DVR thing.[/QUOTE]

You do not get a DVR and a cable box (a.k.a. DCT) unless you have multiple rooms with the service. The DVR has the cable box functions built in at $10.10/month I believe.

If you don't want the DVR but still want the cable box look into their Enhanced Cable option which will provide the DCT (I believe) as part of the monthly service along with some of the On Demand features.

bread's done
Back