Anyone have experience moving for new job?

Blaster man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I'm thinking about taking a new job out of my commuting area. I'd need to sell my current house which shouldn't be a problem now that the housing market is on fire again. That said, how exactly do you buy or rent in a completely different city before you even start the new job?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']You might want to look for a short term rental. That way you can get an idea where the best places to live are once your actually living there.[/QUOTE]

Is there such a thing or is a short term rental living in a hotel?

Check on craigslist and there are some people that rent their homes month by month basis. It will be a bit more expensive though.

Many larger cities have extended stay motels; prices aren't too bad assuming you have some place to store your things.

There's a lot of people that will rent you a house for a year or less, especially if you're in a college town. I just signed a July to July lease here in Indianapolis. That'll give me plenty of time to explore and find a place I want to buy.

A lot of apartment places offer short leases, usually cost a bit more though. Use an online rental places to do some scouting then take a few days to check a few out - is that an option for you? That is what I am planning to do when I relocate with my current employer; though they will pickup the tab for much of the expense.

Both times I moved to a new state, I went out a month or so before the new job started and found an apartment to move in the weekend before the job started the following Monday.

You say out of your commuting area, so it that easy enough for you to drive to and look around? If so, I would just go up there on your day off with some areas you think would be good to live and check it out.

I'm in the process of moving right now myself. Packing up stuff and am moving on Tuesday about 75 min away for a new job. It was kind of a pain to find some days to go up there and look at apts, but it is nice having a place waiting for me.

[quote name='Blaster man']Is there such a thing or is a short term rental living in a hotel?[/QUOTE]

As someone who for a couple years traveled very frequently for work and had extended stay in hotels, i would say that many offer an extended stay option. Even if they do not most will still let you basically book say 3 weeks at the normal rate, as long as the room is occupied and you pay for it they are happy.

Another option that I took to on occasion if I had to stay in a city over a month was condo rentals. Zillow is a good website to look for these. Also I found that studio apartments seem to usually be the better option for finding short term or month to month leasing at reasonable rates.

Of course the obvious thing to do would be if you have vacation time at your current job, use some of that to go look for a more permanent place before starting the new job.

bread's done
Back