Anyone have experience with VOIP and online gaming?

Cornfedwb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I'm debating switching over to VOIP at home, the only real qualm I have left is whether online gaming (mostly Xbox Live) used along side VOIP will cause bandwidth issues. Has anyone used both concurrently and can speak to its performance?

I'm running a 4mbps/300kbps cable internet service btw.

I was an assistant for the telecommunication dept. for my college. We always had problems with VOIP. It wasnt our department though, since it runs throught the internet but we still got calls all the time because they thought we fix all the phones. If you ever have problems with your internet then you will have problems with your VOIP. The biggest downside is when your internet dies you can't use your phone.

I have Vonage(VoIP) and I can call 911, and I play Xbox Live and I haven't had any problems. You get problems if you are using bittorrent, XB Live and the phone at the same time. It's your upload speed that matters to vonage, not much of your download speed. On the Vonage website you can adjust the amount of bandwidth it can take up. If you're interested in signing up shoot me a PM and I can get you a month free of service. I'll be honest and let you know that I get two months free for every person I refer. Their website is great, you can do everyting from there and you get a lot of features for 24.99 or the 14.99 plan.

I have had no problem with my SunRocket VoIP. Same thing. Just bittorrent or heavy uploading. 911 is not an issue for me, their enhanced system works. Saves money...works fine.

bread's done
Back