Anyone have surgery for a sebaceous cyst before?

Haggar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I had/have a sebaceous cyst on my neck and am having surgery to remove it. A few weeks ago I went to the dermatologist/surgeon and he drained it (it was roughly the size of a gumball).

I'm going back to have him cut out the sac on the inside of my neck. When I scheduled the appointment the office manager said it was going to be a "full appointment" whatever that means.

After thinking about it, and because it's on my neck near my carotid artery and near my face, I've decided I'd rather have the surgeon put me to sleep while he's digging around in there. I think usually people are given local anesthesia, but because of the location of mine I'm going to ask to be knocked out. Since he's also a surgeon I think he probably can do that, give me a shot that knocks me out for 30 minutes or whatever, then quickly wears off after he's done.

Anyone else have a similar surgery?

Also, we need a Cheap Ass Medical forum lol.

new4_good.gif

No, but I've had them before. Including several on my armpit. On my wedding day (thankfully this was several days since treatment started but they were still there). They went away with antibiotics. They really suck. Good luck man.

There's a guy at work who had one and he had surgery to remove it. He was out of work for several weeks. He had it on his back near his waistline and it was about the size of a fist. He said they didn't put him to sleep and it was the worst pain he's ever felt. He's pretty sure there's hand prints in the rails on the side of the bed from grabbing it so tight. So yeah, definitely try to get put to sleep.

I had one on my right shoulder blade roughly the diameter of a ping pong ball. Given it's location, I was inclined to let it just be, but my gf (now wife) suggested I have it out because you could sometimes see it through my shirt.

They gave me local anesthetic and I had it taken out in-patient. It took a long while because I had let it sit in there so long, and it had time to build up roots connecting it to neighboring tissue. After a few days, it started leaking a lot of processed blood out so I went to the doc to make sure everything was alright. He ended up taking the stitches out a day or two early right there.

The next day, the whole thing came open as it had not healed shut yet, so I had to go to the emergency room. The doc there pulled it the rest of the way open and cleaned it out with gauze. He was really rough in cleaning it out (it was a decent sized hole), and the pain from him doing that made me light-headed and almost pass out.

Fast forward three years later and I've got a football shaped scar a couple inches long with slightly discolored tissue.

^ this story is one of the reasons I might just keep the ganglion cyst on my hand there... it's actually moved it's way down my hand, and that's the only time it hurts, when it is slowly shifting over the course of a day or so to move an inch or two.

I'd rather just keep it there than risk lack of hand motion or further problems.. maybe eventually it will just dissipate.

I think the thing is, if you get one of these, go to the doctor ASAP and get antibiotics. Otherwise it will end up like the OP's or Anexahume's. That's what I did and I recovered fairly quickly. Don't wait till it's the size of a ping pong ball, go as soon as think you have one.

So I just got back. Everything seemed okay, but this doctor really, really over books.

I arrived 15 minutes early for my appointment, there was 15 people waiting ahead of me, with only 12 chairs in the waiting room.

After waiting 90 minutes, I finally got taken into a room. Since the cyst had been drained weeks earlier, it was just a dot on my neck. The doctor seemed stressed & rushed and just stuck my neck with needle a few times and said he would come back after it was numb.

About 30 minutes later, he came back and I could "feel" what he was doing because of the pulling & cutting. Didn't really hurt. Then I could sense him stitching me up. I would say the actual procedure took less than 10 minutes. I have a giant gauze bandage on my neck that I can't remove for 3 weeks (!!) and then I have to go back for him to remove it & inspect it.

He ran out of the room when he was done and an assistant handed me a slip of paper that says not to shower for 2 days and to keep it dry. No other instructions as I was pretty much ushered out of the office.

Since I wasn't offered any prescriptions for pain medication for later on, I asked if I could take Advil later, and a woman said Tylenol instead.

I guess at least it's been removed, but I do feel like cattle. My normal doctor is much nicer.

I have a couple of them on my scalp that I gave myself when I used to razor my head - be really careful not to cut yourself if you decide to go cue ball... free advice.

Removal wasn't all that bad, Haggar? I suppose your recovery process is just starting; it may suck in a week or two.

^ I have been shaving my head 11 years, have cut myself and nothing like that at all has ever happened. that's very odd.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Had a cyst on my ass before. Pilondial cyst. Not really a cyst more of a abscess. But I guess thats the medical term.[/QUOTE]

Same - it SUCKS. Surgery knocked me out for a week and even though it's been almost 10 months I STILL don't feel 100% back there.

[quote name='BattleChicken']
Removal wasn't all that bad, Haggar? I suppose your recovery process is just starting; it may suck in a week or two.[/QUOTE]

The actual removal process wasn't bad at all. I was surprised at how quick it was (actual surgery maybe 10 minutes). The needles for the anesthetic hurt quite a bit, it felt like they were going deep into my neck. The actual removal was fine, just felt strange because I could "feel" the tugging and cutting, but not feel the pain. Not sure if that makes sense.

It's going to suck having this giant bandage on my neck for three weeks because apparently no one but that doctor is allowed to touch it or remove it. He is The One.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ I have been shaving my head 11 years, have cut myself and nothing like that at all has ever happened. that's very odd.[/QUOTE]

I think I have pretty sensitive skin, I'm pretty sure that is a big part of my problem.

To those that speak about losing sensation after having the things removed.. is the lack of sensation better or worse than the sensation of having the stupid thing there to begin with? I think I would rather have the site a little numb than feeling the bump constantly.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ I have been shaving my head 11 years, have cut myself and nothing like that at all has ever happened. that's very odd.[/QUOTE]

I'm a female, have been shaving my armpits for at least 10 years (I believe it's been more like 12 or 13), and I got a cluster of these motherfucker cysts in my armpit in April. This was after having one elsewhere a couple months before. I had never had them before in my life prior. Just a stroke of bad luck I guess.

10 minutes? Nice. The doc was digging around in mine for an hour. Him and the PA/nurse were super nice, so I was able to chat with them.

[quote name='DestroVega']I have a ganglion cyst on the top of my hand, anyone ever have that cut out or smashed with a bible?[/QUOTE]

My supervisor recently had one on his hand cut out. He said it went well and the procedure was fairly simple. He has a scar where the stitches were, but that is about it.

I have seen videos of the bibles smashes . . .not sure I would trust that. From what I have read, the issue would mainly be if bones in your hand/wrist were broken during the holy smash..

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm a female, have been shaving my armpits for at least 10 years (I believe it's been more like 12 or 13), and I got a cluster of these motherfucker cysts in my armpit in April. This was after having one elsewhere a couple months before. I had never had them before in my life prior. Just a stroke of bad luck I guess.[/QUOTE]

haha "elsewhere"...

I had never heard of that though but I'm glad my head isn't affected.

As far as my Ganglion cyst goes, mine is no where near as big as the ones on youtube... but it doesn't look as soft either... mine is right inside the tendons that go from my wrist to my middle and index fingers... I doubt it would smash as easily as this videos show.. it would definitely hurt WAY more.

if you were really haggar youd have ripped that cyst out with your bare hands and used it as a weapon against your enemies.

bread's done
Back