Anyone Have Tips on Getting Out of the Retail Sphere?

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So I've worked stock, cashier/clerk, customer service and even maintenance at some groceries, a clothing store and the infamous Best Buy.

I need some advice for getting out of retail-based jobs. I'm in school finishing up a Bachelor's in Sociology but something tells me the "real world" doesn't care.

[quote name='willardhaven']So I've worked stock, cashier/clerk, customer service and even maintenance at some groceries, a clothing store and the infamous Best Buy.

I need some advice for getting out of retail-based jobs. I'm in school finishing up a Bachelor's in Sociology but something tells me the "real world" doesn't care.[/QUOTE]

umm if your looking for another meaningless job while your in school, security pays betterr and is easier than retail. I work in an office building. I'm allowed to do my schoolwork and just relax so long as there are no emergencies.

You can always apply for some city/government positions. Local libraries, DOT, and the likes normally offer quite a few positions that don't ask for a degree. Pay is normally decent, or considerably better than retail.

[quote name='danny90044']umm if your looking for another meaningless job while your in school, security pays betterr and is easier than retail. I work in an office building. I'm allowed to do my schoolwork and just relax so long as there are no emergencies.[/QUOTE]
Just relaxing while you're on security? Sounds like a good way to get your neck snapped by Solid Snake.

Cities and counties usually have websites they post job openings at. I'd start there. If you find out about a job through other avenues but don't know if they are even hiring, it doesn't hurt to bring your resume into them and let them know you'd like a job if they are currently/will be hiring.

[quote name='sailorchrono']How would one go about finding out about city/goverment jobs? o.o;[/quote]

Google your local places. Example: Orange County Library, etc.

[quote name='sailorchrono']How would one go about finding out about city/goverment jobs? o.o;[/QUOTE]

thousands of jobs can be found here. some require that you take a test, which can be very hard to do because they are so limited in number and location, but once you do youll be eligible for tons of state jobs with agencies youve never even heard of before.

http://www.spb.ca.gov/

If you live close to a city, or better yet, a state capital. I would recommend a state job. Until you get some experience under your belt it may be your best bet. They only care that you have a 4-year degree, not what it's in. It could be in basket weaving.

I was actually thinking of starting this thread myself! I have a 2 year degree, and I've worked retail for 10 years and want out.

I don't know how to find a non-retail job since unlike retail, you can't visibly see them around, like you do stores..

bread's done
Back