Anyone here got a Mac they use for their pc gaming?

ttriber

CAGiversary!
I just recently bought a Macbook and I was wondering how the games run on it. I know that to play you must install Windows with a program called bootcamp but I'm kind of curious If anyone has had any experience running some of the new games like RA3 and others. Is it worth going through the installation of XP to play?

[quote name='ttriber']I just recently bought a Macbook and I was wondering how the games run on it. I know that to play you must install Windows with a program called bootcamp but I'm kind of curious If anyone has had any experience running some of the new games like RA3 and others. Is it worth going through the installation of XP to play?[/QUOTE]

I have the previous gen macbook pro, and it plays games pretty well, Left for Dead and Bioshock ran pretty good.

You don't need to install Bootcamp to play PC games on Mac. You can also use Parallels and VMWare Fusion. Performance wise, they handle games almost as well as Bootcamp and you can run them within OSX too, so no booting into Windows required.

So far, I've played Unreal Tournament 3, Sims 2, Oblivion and Crysis maxed out on my Macbook Pro and they all look and play great. Sims 2 crashes occasionally, but other than that, everything else is great.

[quote name='Scorch']So far, I've played Unreal Tournament 3, Sims 2, Oblivion and Crysis maxed out on my Macbook Pro and they all look and play great. Sims 2 crashes occasionally, but other than that, everything else is great.[/QUOTE]
Crysis maxed out? What resolution?

[quote name='norkusa']You don't need to install Bootcamp to play PC games on Mac. You can also use Parallels and VMWare Fusion. Performance wise, they handle games almost as well as Bootcamp and you can run them within OSX too, so no booting into Windows required.[/quote]

When you say I don't need to install bootcamp, do I have to buy Parallels or VMware Fusion or just download it? With either of those 2 programsI won't have to install Windows either? I'm sorry I'm just totally new to the Mac and don't wanna install something new and screw up the laptop.

Went to a college lanparty a few months back, And 2 guys were using a current gen macbook pro to run UT3 at a pretty high setting, and they ran it smoothly. Then one of them ran Far Cry 2, and though I don't really know what setting they set the game at, it still ran fairly smoothly, and it looked a lot better than the 360 version someone brought with them.

The one that ran Far Cry was using bootcamp, but the other was using Parallels (I think), so hopefully that helps out a bit.

[quote name='ttriber']When you say I don't need to install bootcamp, do I have to buy Parallels or VMware Fusion or just download it? With either of those 2 programsI won't have to install Windows either? I'm sorry I'm just totally new to the Mac and don't wanna install something new and screw up the laptop.[/QUOTE]
No, with those you would still have to install Windows.

[quote name='Scorch']So far, I've played Unreal Tournament 3, Sims 2, Oblivion and Crysis maxed out on my Macbook Pro and they all look and play great. Sims 2 crashes occasionally, but other than that, everything else is great.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding me?...Pics or it dun happen :p

I think the problem with macs is that you get no choice in what video card you get. macbooks suffer more because of a laptop chipset.

That's why the Mac games died... users couldn't upgrade without an entire purchase and who wants to do that, that would be worst than the console cycles.

Glad though that bootcamp and parallels exist, allow those to play great pc games.

I play on the last-gen iMac (plastic, not brushed metal/glossy screen) w/ Boot Camp. It can handle today's games (L4D) but only with low settings, even with the graphics card overclocked. I've played Oblivion in medium settings though.

Macbooks have a better graphics card than this iMac, so you can expect better performance.

As for Parallels vs Boot Camp; eh, either is fine. I prefer Boot Camp, since I've seen my brother get a handful of problems from the latter. not to mention, isn't it a memory hog? =/

Currently right now im using my aluminum Macbook and BootCamp for some Windows games like MS Flight Simulator 2004 and FSX. I was surprised to see FSX run very well on it. Frames were decent and it ran very smooth to.

Parallels 4.0 ran very poorly with it so be advised that high intense 3D games are not supported with Parallels

bread's done
Back