Anyone here have a Razr and/or Cingular service?

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
Amazon.com has a deal where I can get a Razr for free after a MIR and 2 year agreement with Cingular. Also included is a free bluetooth headset.
I almost jumped on a similar deal with wirefly a couple months ago, but their reseller ratings are horrible.

This seems like a good deal to me, but I would like to know what others think about the Razr phone and Cingular service. Two years is a long time to sign up for something and end up getting a crappy phone or service.

[quote name='karmapolice']Cingular sucks... dont go with them.[/QUOTE]

My only choices are Cingular, Verizon, and a place called First Cellular. I had bad experience with First Cell, and I don't really want to go back to them. The only good thing about them is that they offer unlimited minutes for $39.99 a month. No nationwide with that though.

I have a Razr and I like using it, even though I wish I had a black model,
I've never had cingular, so I cant help you there

i have cingular, it gives me great coverage across the state of texas, much more then any of the other companies can for the state and almost always has a strong signal wherever i am in texas

The Razr is an outdated phone IMO, theres more bang for your buck out there.

If you want it just because of its looks, go for it, its pretty unique.

By the way, i have Cingular, and i hate it for the most part. Will probably do Verizon next time around.

i have a razr and i ma on cingualr. The service is realyl solid throughout the countyr as i have seen. Much better than my sprint service. Also the razr is an awesome phone, but it is easy to drop i have dropped mine many times

I did more research and I've found that the Razr doesn't work well when you use the bluetooth mode, and also another problem is the phone locking up and the battery having to be taken out in order to reset the phone.

I really want to get this phone/service, but I think I may wait for awhile until I can get a better deal. I haven't had a phone since January, so waiting a little while more won't kill me.

I've never had a Razr but I do have Cingular. I thought it was great, until I had to go to a new school this year, and the service absolutely sucks (1-2 bars and dropped calls all the time) in that area. It's only about 45 minutes away too. I was thinking about getting Verizon next time.

I've had Cingular for almost a year and a half and haven't had 1 dropped call. Coverage is excellent in my area. No problems with customer service either, though the employees at the kiosks in the mall tend to be fairly dense.

[quote name='RawisJericho']I did more research and I've found that the Razr doesn't work well when you use the bluetooth mode, and also another problem is the phone locking up and the battery having to be taken out in order to reset the phone.[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to my dad's RAZR two weeks after he bought it. The phone just didn't want to turn on at all.

We have Cingular, and the network has been fine, rarely have dropped calls or times I can't get through. However, if we didn't have a buttload of friends/family on the network, so they're free, I would drop them like a bad habit.

They had no record of my order, even after sending a confirm email. They have charged me for things I didn't order, and if I ordered it for my phone only, they put it on my husband's phone, too, but never added insurance, which I wanted for my husband's phone. Their customer service people basically just say "yeah, that's a mistake" without offering ways to fix it. And if you ask to speak to a supervisor, because the operators are seriously deficient, you get all kinds of hassle, and then you get their voicemail. I waited two days for a callback. HORRID customer service.

You might just want to check with a cingular store and see what rebates they are offering, typically they offer some decent phone cheap with a 2 year contract and mail in rebate.

I hate Cingular..... I had Suncom (at&t) until they took over, I Drop calls all the time, A ton of Dead zones in my area.. I want out of my contract but I have 4 lines and I'm not paying 600 bucks but I will not renew with the...

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I hate Cingular..... I had Suncom (at&t) until they took over, I Drop calls all the time, A ton of Dead zones in my area.. I want out of my contract but I have 4 lines and I'm not paying 600 bucks but I will not renew with the...[/QUOTE]

Same here, but with one line. Contract was up though, and I moved to Verizon w/ a Family Plan. Much nicer. :D

[quote name='RawisJericho']I did more research and I've found that the Razr doesn't work well when you use the bluetooth mode, and also another problem is the phone locking up and the battery having to be taken out in order to reset the phone.[/QUOTE]

I have a RAZR and my provider is Cingular. I've had the RAZR for a number of months now and I've been with Cingular ever since AT&T Wireless merged. The camera is pretty crappy if you ever decide to take the pics off the phone and transfer it on the comp (resolution is low). I've read many reviews where the reviewer states that they receive bad reception and sometimes you can't hear the person on the other side (vice versa). I, for one, have never experienced such a problem. Oh, the RAZR also has a slow OS. As for the Bluetooth mode not "working well"...I've only used the bluetooth for the wireless bluetooth headset. Never had a problem with that. I only had my phone lock up on me once (it froze while I was playing a game).

As for Cingular, I've always had great reception. I never had a call dropped because of a bad connection. Even in my friend's basement, who lives out in the boonies and his cell phone service rarely works when he's down there, I didn't have any problems with incoming or outgoing calls. I suppose the connection quality varies from city-to-city, state-to-state.

Bottom line, I'm satisfied with what I got.

Cingular aside, does anyone have any experience with wirefly.com? They have a special for the Razr v3 for $40, and that sounds like a good deal to me.

Watch out for wirefly! I bought the RAZR from buy.com, which actually resells from InPhonic (who also runs wirefly). I got it for $200 and was expecting a $200 rebate. However, in very small print they tell you: must be a new _non substitute_ number! So you can't keep your old number and get the free phone. Also, they didn't tell me about this until they billed me $250 for "early termination" since they said that my port of my old number wiped out the new account they had originated. Look up wirefly on google and you'll see plenty of unhappy customers. Stick with a local store where you can get a live person to confirm everything (porting number, cash back, etc). Even if you can't get the phone for "free", you can usually get them to waive activation and perhaps give you some free months of service. Wirefly and InPhonic sucks.

I have a black RAZR and Cingular. I love them both. I recently made a thread about dropping my phone in a toilet. It still works flawlessly! It gets great reception, OS is a little slow, but it's not bad. It's very durable (don't let other people fool you).

Referring to a previous post, mine has a video camera that does M2P.

[quote name='cheapasskipster']Watch out for wirefly! I bought the RAZR from buy.com, which actually resells from InPhonic (who also runs wirefly). I got it for $200 and was expecting a $200 rebate. However, in very small print they tell you: must be a new _non substitute_ number! So you can't keep your old number and get the free phone. Also, they didn't tell me about this until they billed me $250 for "early termination" since they said that my port of my old number wiped out the new account they had originated. Look up wirefly on google and you'll see plenty of unhappy customers. Stick with a local store where you can get a live person to confirm everything (porting number, cash back, etc). Even if you can't get the phone for "free", you can usually get them to waive activation and perhaps give you some free months of service. Wirefly and InPhonic sucks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the headsup; I called them on the phone (since I'm already with Cingular, I wanted to make sure I was eligible - and I'm not) to make certain. It appears that they intentionally hide that information from you online so that they can make a quick $300+ if you fill out the information incorrectly. Real classic.

OTOH, I couldn't find any unhappy customers doing a google search; perhaps you can help?

The Razr is now available at Verizon, was in the BB ad for this week. Not as good of a deal, though if you're set on the phone, I think you might do better with Verizon.

bread's done
Back