Anyone here have the disc tray get stuck?

lukenot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Over the past month, the disc tray on my 360 will get stuck when I go to open it. It will do this only once, then work fine after that.
It also never happens when I have a game in - like when I'm taking it out after playing.

At first I thought it was the faceplate, so I called MS. They sent me a new faceplate immediately, but just today, it stuck again.

It's not a huge problem now, but I'm worried it could get worse. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks in advance.

This started happening to me also. I changed to a different face plate and it still did it one in awhile. Changed my 360 from vertical to horizontal and the tray hasn't gotten stuck yet.

mine did this for the first time the other day. i think it happened because i didn't use the remote. i pushed it manually. damn cheap build, i guess.

Yup, this is how my 360 died. Probably survived about a month after it started doing this and then it got to the point where sometimes I'd have to go back and forth 5-10 minutes to get it to open.

Eventually, it would no longer stay closed with a disc in the drive.

Not surprising if you have it vertical.

Optical drives have a little groove on the bottom of the tray that gets caught on a little nub. Occasionally, if the drive is sideways the nub doesn't always catch the groove right. I see it all the time at work when I'm doing a large order of towers. Its easiest to build them sideways, but when you test them its best to make them upright lest the optical drive not eject.

Mine does this as well...it gets stuck if you try to open the disc tray while there is NO disc in the console. When there is a disk, the tray will open normally. Try it out, for me its almost foolproof. Strange because since I set up the system like two months ago when I first got it, I have not moved it a single inch. Just shoddy build quality on MS's part.

I have this problem about once a week I thought it was the faceplate but I guess it's just something with the drives.

[quote name='Kayden']Not surprising if you have it vertical.

Optical drives have a little groove on the bottom of the tray that gets caught on a little nub. Occasionally, if the drive is sideways the nub doesn't always catch the groove right. I see it all the time at work when I'm doing a large order of towers. Its easiest to build them sideways, but when you test them its best to make them upright lest the optical drive not eject.[/QUOTE]
Mine was horizontal and this was a big problem for me.

I've started just leaving a game in the tray when I shut down, as it never locks when I have a game in.

I forgot to mention, but I took the faceplate off for about two days and it didn't happen, yet it's hard for me to believe it's the faceplate since the unit has not been moved at all since I got it.

It also only happens when I first turn the unit on. I normally would go right to the dashboard and load a game from there. Guess I'll be leaving a disc in from now on.

Has anyone had their unit replaced as a result of this problem?

Thanks again,
Billbofet

[quote name='lukenot']I've started just leaving a game in the tray when I shut down, as it never locks when I have a game in.

I forgot to mention, but I took the faceplate off for about two days and it didn't happen, yet it's hard for me to believe it's the faceplate since the unit has not been moved at all since I got it.

It also only happens when I first turn the unit on. I normally would go right to the dashboard and load a game from there. Guess I'll be leaving a disc in from now on.

Has anyone had their unit replaced as a result of this problem?

Thanks again,
Billbofet[/QUOTE]

Yea, as I said earlier, it is a problem when you do not have a game in the console...so I too have left the current game I play in the console as I turn it off. Haven't got it replaced, because I know the next unit will probably have the same problem. Would rather keep my new unit than get a refurb back for something that has a easy fix like this does...leaving a disc in the console.

bread's done
Back