Anyone here played Singstar?

WittyNickname

CAGiversary!
I stumbled across some info on the various Singstar games while looking for something else entirely, and ended up poring through the various song lists with real enthusiasm and a feeling that I'd definitely like to pick up one, or more, of the titles to have on hand for parties or even solitary karaoke urges.

But this is just about the stealthiest ongoing game series alive; I don't know anyone else who's so much as HEARD of Singstar, let alone actually played any of them.

Has anyone here taken one of them for a spin?

Apart from the obvious disagreements that any two people might get into regarding the song selection, are the game mechanics solid? Decent mic construction and pitch recognition?

If I can find a decent deal, I can't fathom I won't give one of these a try soon unless someone in the know can tell me it would be a mistake.

And, if it helps to pre-emptively say this, I've also looked into the Karaoke Revolution titles and found the "as made famous by" approach extremely lacking. Singstar tosses the actual music videos from the songs up on the screen while you're belting it out, and that leads me to believe they're deploying master recordings of the tracks. Big selling point for me.

Anyway, whatever anyone knows about these (beyond links to professional reviews I've already read) is greatly appreciated in advance. Cheers.

I actually prefer the Singstar games (I have both), differences are:

- Yes, original artists. Videos or Sony Eyecam support
- Lyrics don't scroll, but rather a line of the song is on the screen at any time.
- Each has a duet song or two.
- The Mic have more weight on singstar, feels sturdier.

Isn't this the game that doesn't tell you if you've sung in tune until after you're done singing the line? What's the point of that?

bread's done
Back