Anyone know a good site to find ISP's in my area?

I'm sorry but if you want, Cable, Prices, Telephone and television all at one place you just are not gonna get it. All though I have to say if you have Time Warner Road Runner around you get, at least where I live there service has been awesome.

Yeah I know of TW, but the internet prices are a little meh compared to stuff on dslreports that I've found. Screw the phone and tv stuff, I was just hoping to see some prices for cable too, surely if there is a site mainly listing dsl there is a site listing cable internet too...

[quote name='Jack7Of7Spades7']Yeah I know of TW, but the internet prices are a little meh compared to stuff on dslreports that I've found. Screw the phone and tv stuff, I was just hoping to see some prices for cable too, surely if there is a site mainly listing dsl there is a site listing cable internet too...[/quote]

Not really. In most areas, cable has a monopoly, so you get what's offered or not at all. If you live in an area with Time Warner, I would be stunned if you could find another cable service without going to a dish.

DSL on the other hand is a little different. They all run over the same phone lines, just have different providers. For example, when I lived in Chicago several years ago, I could have had Earthlink or Verizon DSL. I opted for Verizon. Why? Well, as it turns out, Earthlink was buying capacity from Verizon who owned the phone lines. With Earthlink, I would have had an internet provider from Verizon with Earthlink being the middle man.

Bottom line, in most places I have lived, you will get one and only one choice for cable. You may have several DSL choices, but I would guess that most of them run over the same phone lines.

I hear that you can get satellite internet, but I don't know anything about that.

TBW

So how do you figure DSL compares to cable? I'm not too informed on the differences aside from cable vs phone line. Also what is broadband?

I know I'm stupid, but hopefully someone takes pity and explains it.

bump, probably will go with that 6mb for $33 (for a year), not a bad deal, just need to compare the companies that are selling the exact same package. So how does dsl compare to cable?

And if an internet service is 6mb download, why doesn't my download speed go up that high? Simple explanation I'm sure, but I'm unaware. I mean right now I have 5Mb with cable, and if say utorrent is using MB, then even then, with seeds and a good connection, should I not be going up to 600KB/s rather than 150 (my current area), what else is the download doing?

Oh and how far do you have to be from the CO for it to affect your speed? Does any distance matter? I mean I'm sure the decrease from the 6Mb will be small (hopefully), but still, I have to know.

Might help if we knew where you were from.

I just signed up for Verizon FIOS, they've got a Phone/TV/Internet deal for $99/month with a 2 year contract. Hasn't been installed yet, though. Internet speed is 5/2 I believe, 2mbit is pretty good upload speed for a base package. Their TV package is comparable to digital cable from most cable providers.

Many cable providers are offering a $99 "triple play" package of all 3, I know Comcast does.

[quote name='dafoomie']Might help if we knew where you were from.

I just signed up for Verizon FIOS, they've got a Phone/TV/Internet deal for $99/month with a 2 year contract. Hasn't been installed yet, though. Internet speed is 5/2 I believe, 2mbit is pretty good upload speed for a base package. Their TV package is comparable to digital cable from most cable providers.

Many cable providers are offering a $99 "triple play" package of all 3, I know Comcast does.[/quote]

La Crescenta, California.

bread's done
Back