Anyone know any good videogame magazines?

daewezzy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Just wondering what are some good video game magazines (excluding EGM). I'm looking for a magazine that has good reviews/interviews/previews, and talks about all the platforms not just one specific one (PSM, OXM, NP).

Thanks in advance.

nope. (i'm serious!) but if i had to recommend one...maybe Play, if you also like anime. or GI, since it's free with a GS card and they appear to be the lesser of the evils.

[quote name='daewezzy']I was actually going to subscribe to Play Magazine because I do like anime....[/QUOTE]

about 1/3rd of the magazine is anime reviews, but I have yet to see them give any show below a 9. they even gave Gilgamesh a 9 (how in the hell did that happen...) also, they are clearly complete pervs. it's like a pre-req that all the girls in the show are a double D before they review it. :lol:

they do have some good commentary on the game industry, but like the anime, their reviews are also pretty lax.

oh yeah, i always forget about hardcore gamer. that's probably your best bet. quality stuff.

I guess i'm the only one who likes Game Informer. They seem pretty fair to me and they do manage to get a lot of exclusive content - stuff you can't get on the Internet before the issue is out (Chronicles of Riddick and Condemned come to mind). I haven't picked up any console bias either except they do give a little extra attention to RPGs which favors PS2 naturally.

I think most people will agree that you can argue for any magazine but Gamepro. Just dont get Gamepro and you should be fine. =)

[quote name='wildnuts02']I guess i'm the only one who likes Game Informer. They seem pretty fair to me and they do manage to get a lot of exclusive content - stuff you can't get on the Internet before the issue is out (Chronicles of Riddick and Condemned come to mind). I haven't picked up any console bias either except they do give a little extra attention to RPGs which favors PS2 naturally.[/QUOTE]

I like Game Informer, I have 5 or 6 issues in the bathroom.

Play is merely a vehicle for "editor" Dave Halverson to get free games and anime so he can be a cheerleader for the industry. I subscribed for a year, but am happy that it no longer comes, and have tossed all my back issues. The mag looks nice, but the editorial invariably turns my stomach; poorly written, and it's not true criticism, just cheerleading. It's obviously an expensive magazine to produce; they wouldn't all that money to spend if they were true journalists.

Game Informer is awesome. Great layout. Lots and lots of huge pics.. nice paper.

As for a second choice I would recommend the magazine Blip!.... it's the "videogame magazine" you're probably hearing all the kids talk about in the schoolyard. came out in the early 80's.. covers everything.. atari, intellivision, coleco, arcade. It doesn't have screenshots.. just drawings... :lol:

Blip1.jpg

I agree that the net pretty much killed the VG magazine genre. EGM is OK and I will see about GI since I got a membership this weekend.

I used to love NextGeneration magazine and their website dailyradar. I also loved the DieHard GameFan magazine. Awesome coverage of the Japanese market.

Game Informer is becoming a nice companion to EA. Play is pretty to look at, and have nice interviews, but their reviews suck.

Stay away from GamePro. Even if it's free, refuse it. How do they manage to stay in business??

[quote name='daewezzy']Thanks for all the input, i'll probably subscribe to GI.[/quote]

Hey man, if you subscribe to Game Informer, make sure to pick up a discount card at Gamestop or any other game retail store that offers a free subscription when you purchase their card.:D:D

I find it's best to read EGM, GI, and Play and kind of average the scores. Play loves RPG's and anime. They tend to give better scores to the quirky games. This month's cover is Okami. The cover and the article are beautiful. I agree that they probably are a bunch of pervs that love hentai but it has alot of different information. GI loves EA games and seems tilted more towards the 18-25 yr old white male. EGM has probably the best balance of them all and they seem to have taken the high ground in the whole review scores for money thing.

Buy old next generation magazines off ebay.
Play is useless for reviewing anime as pointed out, everything is great. And this anime-favoritism extends to a certain type of games. Darkwatch, Stranger's Wrath that one PSP game- all warranted high praise/attention from the magazine in part due to the art direction. I find it has good columns, interviews and previews, but consistently excellent reviews is a feat few mags achieve.

The thing is, they're reviews. They're people's personal opinions. People like to believe they're definitive but there isn't anyway to definitively score games. Most people agree that Resident Evil 4 and God of War were the two best games of the year but there might be a few people that thought they were garbage. To them, some of these magazines are also garbage because they don't agree with their view of gaming. Just find a magazine that you like and forget the haters that'll knock it

There certainly are ways to write good reviews that don't fall under an excuse of one man's opinion. It's just video game criticism has yet to achieve a level of discourse equal to books, music or art. Try the NYTimes Book Review or Paste magazine for a how to on well written, intelligent and observant reviews.

bread's done
Back