Anyone know anything about a blinking red light error on a fat PS3?

FEGuy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
127 (98%)
Turned on my PS3 (CECHE01 with a 320GB 7200RPM HDD thrown in) for the first time since early March; it went through a couple minutes of telling me I had new stuff I could download; I left that screen, went and clicked on the Store, and it blacked out, beeped, and the light started blinking. Turned it off for a while, tried again maybe half an hour later, and the same thing happened before I even made it past the improper shutdown screen. Next two tries failed before any sort of video output appeared.

Apparently it's a general hardware failure error, which could be just about anything. There's nothing in the BD drive, and I didn't try to use it, so I doubt it's that. I didn't hear if the fans came on the first two attempts, but they definitely did the last couple tries. I didn't try blowing out the vents with compressed air or anything because they seemed pretty much entirely clean and I didn't want to drive to the store. I haven't had much in the way of problems since I bought the thing about a year ago, only some noisy fans in more intense gameplay.

Any thoughts on what this could be other than an error on the motherboard? Really can't afford to replace the system or even have a reflow done at the moment. Even if I could replace it, none of the games are backed up on any external drive, and I doubt many of my saves are in the cloud; I don't think PS+ even lets me back up my virtual PS2 memory cards, but I could be wrong.

It's been a while, but that sounds like what my system did when the power supply went bad.

They're fairly cheap, at least they were back then, and are super easy to change out.

Yeah, kinda figured it was a YLOD; looks like the system's been opened before, too, because the warranty sticker's gone.

Thinking I'm going to sell it and downgrade to a slim anyways; I don't need the PS2 compatibility anymore, and it'd save on power and space.

Just to be certain, is there any good way to test the power supply before I scrap it or pay for a reflow/reball? I don't think I have any spares from PCs, so I'd rather test this one rather than rig up a PC power supply to the PS3.

Just to be certain, is there any good way to test the power supply before I scrap it or pay for a reflow/reball? I don't think I have any spares from PCs, so I'd rather test this one rather than rig up a PC power supply to the PS3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFizzmlll1I

My 60gb phat PS3 had been ejecting/inserting disks really slowly for a few months. Today I noticed that red light was off, so I checked the cable and turned the power switch on/off and the light came back on. But a few minutes later the light went off again, and now I can't get any power to it at all. I tried using a different power cord and outlet but still get nothing. So now I've got a dead system with a disk stuck in it.

Is this repairable? I don't mind paying to have Sony fix it. I just really don't won't to have to buy another PS3 and a PS2 with 4 controllers, memory card, and a multi-tap.

Get it fixed locally... Plenty of games stores do it and it costs $20-$40 to have it done.
Okay, I found one an hour and a half away that should be able to do it.

I'm guessing it's just a dead power supply? I might try to just replace it myself; it doesn't look that hard.

Okay, I found one an hour and a half away that should be able to do it.

I'm guessing it's just a dead power supply? I might try to just replace it myself; it doesn't look that hard.
Yeah, that just sounds like a general power supply short. It's a 20 minute fix on the fat models if you're careful not to lose any screws or yank any cables the wrong way. There's a good guide here.

If you need a power supply, I ended up replacing mine just to be entirely certain it wasn't the cause of the issue I was having (it wasn't). I could send my old one your way for $5 and shipping, if you're in the states.

Yeah, that just sounds like a general power supply short. It's a 20 minute fix on the fat models if you're careful not to lose any screws or yank any cables the wrong way. There's a good guide here.

If you need a power supply, I ended up replacing mine just to be entirely certain it wasn't the cause of the issue I was having (it wasn't). I could send my old one your way for $5 and shipping, if you're in the states.
Thanks for the guide.

I can get one for $15 on ebay. If it's not more than that, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands.

bread's done
Back