Anyone know how to wear a tie? The steps on how to... please

beguile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I have a new job and I'm required to dress up. Problem is I don't like ties and I never learned how to put them on. Any help is greatly appreciated. Is there any online guides that teaches you how to put on a tie? Thanks.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Haha, I had the same question yesterday, because I just bought a suit for the hell of it, and ended up wikipediaing it.[/QUOTE]
Man suits are expensive. You're nuts. I started my first real job back in Sept, credit card was hurting. Sport coats on the otherhand can be had for cheap at thrift shops though. I go with my friend and we search for decent looking ones that we can wear to clubs and not care if they get dirty. Dry cleaning is costs so much.

[quote name='keithp']Get a clip-on. Problem solved![/QUOTE]
But when you loosen your tie during a stressful day, its not very impressive if the tie falls off!

I guess I've always done a windsor or half-windsor depending on the tie, just never knew I was doing it. Regular ties are really simple once you do it a few times. Bow Ties, now those are tough, I watched numerous youtube videos on that and I can kind of do it, but it's hit or miss how it comes out (I'm sure with more practice that will become fairly easy too, it' just one step that's kind of crazy).

Wow, I thought everyone was forced to tie a tie at some point in their teenage years. I always thought that was your dad/male role models job in showing you. Of course, I taught myself how to shave, so maybe this isn't unusual.

Though, this is interesting for various tying methods. I know one way, and that's it. Have to see which way it is.

Edit: I was taught the half windsor. Now I feel half assed. :)

I wish this thread appeared earlier, because I couldn't go to the job fair last week because my tie got un-done (I had my Dad do it for me over 2 years ago), so I could not go. I'll look at these methods carefully so hopefully I can finally get into an interview.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I wish this thread appeared earlier, because I couldn't go to the job fair last week because my tie got un-done (I had my Dad do it for me over 2 years ago), so I could not go. I'll look at these methods carefully so hopefully I can finally get into an interview.[/quote]

:lmao:

I am sorry TMK, but that is just really funny.

Actually my dad never taught me how to tie my tie. It was my mom that did so.

[quote name='darthbudge']:lmao:

I am sorry TMK, but that is just really funny.

Actually my dad never taught me how to tie my tie. It was my mom that did so.[/QUOTE]The last time I had to wear a tie was H.S. graduation over 5 years ago. My Dad never exactly taught me, so I was a tad clueless. I actually tried looking at a few pictures (I tried the traditional windsor) and never got it, so I gave up. After seeing the half windsor, I think I can get it.
[quote name='CouRageouS']Man suits are expensive. You're nuts. I started my first real job back in Sept, credit card was hurting. Sport coats on the otherhand can be had for cheap at thrift shops though. I go with my friend and we search for decent looking ones that we can wear to clubs and not care if they get dirty. Dry cleaning is costs so much.[/QUOTE]I agree about suits being expensive. I gotta have one by the end of April (to give my presentation on my project) and I couldn't believe just how expensive they are. But then again, I only looked at Macy's so far.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The last time I had to wear a tie was H.S. graduation over 5 years ago. My Dad never exactly taught me, so I was a tad clueless. I actually tried looking at a few pictures (I tried the traditional windsor) and never got it, so I gave up. After seeing the half windsor, I think I can get it.
I agree about suits being expensive. I gotta have one by the end of April (to give my presentation on my project) and I couldn't believe just how expensive they are. But then again, I only looked at Macy's so far.[/quote]

Macy's isn't a very good place. I am not sure what your price range is but Dillard's is good for B&M. I also like Ebay once you find a good reseller. You can get new suits pretty cheap and then have them tailored for you.

Uh guys? Youtube? And yeah loosening your tie does not look as cool if its a clip on. :)

Edit: Just so you know I can only do the half Windsor, even with the videos.:???:

Express has some decent suits if you're looking for some. Though if you want traditional black, you may be out of luck as they're starting to have their spring line out.

If you're only going to be wearing a suit once though, I suggest just going to H&M if you have one. They have suit separates that are serviceable for under $100. They have the European cut-styles, as does Express.

I remember being so frustrated the first time I tried to wear a tie, haha. Had to google some tutorial site, tried them all and they ended up looking horrible, eventually got the hang of it and now I remember how to tie it off heart. Just keep practicing.

I was surprised with how many guys at my age don't know how to tie a tie (after talking with friends).

Granted, I'm not the greatest, but I can tie the half-windsor and full-windsor with relative ease.

bread's done
Back