Anyone know this about GS & EB

Ok, I admit, I'm a gaming moron. Got a few I like, and that's what I know.

My hubby and I have been selling some online, however. He knows more than me, but he's not home to ask.

We buy our games at EB and GS, GC predominantly. Sometimes a pawn shop or disc replay store. We sold a Shrek Super Party, disc only.

Woman replied she got it, it's a bootleg, says that wasn't in the auction, just grinds in her machine, she's ticked, blah, blah, blah. Now I know those have colored bottoms and don't play in many older PS systems. Could that be it? EB and such don't sell bootlegs, do they? I am 99.9% sure it had the pic and all on the disc. This lady's ranting has rattled me.

What do you guys think?

FYI: I told her return in 7 days and I'll refund. We can always resell it.

Yeah, sounds exactly like the DRE issue. Tell her to check her collection for other blue buttom (CD-ROM) games and to see if those work.
Its highly unlikely that a bootleg for a game like Shrek Super Party even exists...why bother?

Send her this link too: http://www.answerbag.com/c_view.php/1723

Did you buy the game and sell it without being able to test it? Bad idea, IMO. If you did test it, then disregard my comment :)

Anyway, hopefully offering to refund her money will placate her.

I wouldn't be shocked if EB, etc (especially pawn shops) might have a really good bootleg slip through from time to time. EB and GS would certainly reject anything they realize is a bootleg (I'd hope). A pawn shop maybe a little more sketchy. But like Cheapy says, seems odd that a really good bootleg of Shrek's Super Party would have been produced.

Why does she think it's a bootleg anyway? Did she say her reasoning or just say 'You sold me a bootleg!'

Regardless it's good policy to offer a refund if the disc turned out to be DOA whether bootleg or not.

tell her to flip the ps sideway or let it stand vertically. It should play correctly if she does that. If it does play, it not bootlegg.

[quote name='CheapyD']Yeah, sounds exactly like the DRE issue. Tell her to check her collection for other blue buttom (CD-ROM) games and to see if those work.
Its highly unlikely that a bootleg for a game like Shrek Super Party even exists...why bother?

Send her this link too: http://www.answerbag.com/c_view.php/1723[/QUOTE]

that reminds me of the girl from around Christmas time a few months ago who was from England thay got a copy of a bootlegged Disney Game Boy Advance game that contained the f-bomb word somewhere in it.

[quote name='postaboy']tell her to flip the ps sideway or let it stand vertically. It should play correctly if she does that. If it does play, it not bootlegg.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't having the PS2 vertical cause it to wear out more quickly?

From the little that I know about how the disc spinning mechanism works, it seems like it would be much harder on it when the disc is vertically positioned. And if it doesn't matter, why are almost all optical drives in DVD players and PCs horizontally oriented?

Besides...if the PS2 can't read the disc, it shouldn't matter how it's oriented.

Well they COULD in theory sell a bootleg unknowingly. When I worked at EB my manager took some bootleg anime DVDs in for a trade-in. I pointed this out to him and he threw them away. However if someone accidently takes a bootleg in, it could sell without anyone noticing. Highly unlikely though.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Doesn't having the PS2 vertical cause it to wear out more quickly?

From the little that I know about how the disc spinning mechanism works, it seems like it would be much harder on it when the disc is vertically positioned. And if it doesn't matter, why are almost all optical drives in DVD players and PCs horizontally oriented?

Besides...if the PS2 can't read the disc, it shouldn't matter how it's oriented.[/QUOTE]

Turning the PS2 vertical has solved a good number of problems related to reading CD-based games (as oppossed to DVD-based).

The disc is held in place magnetically so it should not offer any more wear and tear than usual. After all, Sony sells a vertical stand to stablize a PS2 in that position (and the little PS logo on the disc tray swivels so it can be seen properly while the machine is vertical). I don't think they'd support something like that if it was going to cause a problem. Plus we would have heard a lot about by now. I've had my PS2 standing vertically for about three years now with zero problems.

Most optical drives in PCs and whatnot are horizontal due to convenience. Most of them will work the exact some way in a vertical position. I've dealt with many workstations that have floppy and CD drives vertically oriented due to space restrictions. Some PC optical drives even come with optional clips you can flip out on the tray to keep discs from just falling out when you eject the tray.

I have heard many problems with people running their PS2 vertically. Personally I wouldn't do it. I would just refund the lady, get it back and check it out yourself. If it is a bootleg toss it, if not you may need to resurface it if it is scratched. I think you can get it professionally resurfaced at a store like Gamecrazy for a dollar. Then I would just resell it again.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Besides...if the PS2 can't read the disc, it shouldn't matter how it's oriented.[/QUOTE]
That may apply when dealing with normal decent-quality electronics, but this is a fucking PlayStation 2 we're talking about here - normal, logical functionality rules do not apply. :D

Yeah, the important thing to remember is that the buyer believes it's a bootleg. I would suggest sending her some info about DRE problems, ask her to check her PS2, and if she persists just refund her money. It's not worth the bad karma and bad ebay feedback to argue with a dunce of a buyer.

When I worked for Gamestop (back when it was FuncoLand), if a game was sold as used, it could not be returned, only exchanged for the same game. Customers would inevitably get ticked off at this notion, but we'd just respond that, "We're not a rental store." Nor should you be a rental store, but my guess is that this person wrecked the game themself and they're looking for a loophole out. Unfortunately, you can't really know if they're being honest or not. Usually it's better to err on the side of honesty than otherwise.

I've never ran into a bootleg at GS, but I've got 3 PS1 bootlegs from EB in the past 2 years. 2 of them(NHL '97 & FFVII) had blue bottoms(which was a dead giveaway), while Final Doom somehow booted up and was the S.E. version of Doom. I know the employees at the EB I shop at burn PS1 games, cause they've talked about it right in front of me. So just check the games before you sell them.

bread's done
Back