Anyone know whats up with my computer?!

dbrev42

CAGiversary!
I'm writing this from our school computer. At home, the computer will stay on for a bit, say 5 minutes, and the monitor goes black, and the tower makes a buzzing noise. The monitor light turns orange, but the tower light stays green. If I try to push the monitor button to make it green it doesnt do it, or it will say in white letters on the black screen "1.Analog Input" . This Dell is relativly new, no idea what is going on..:cry:

Nothing wrong with your monitor. For one reason or another, your PC isn't outputting video (which could be for a million different reasons).

You might need to get someone to look at it.

If your monitor goes blank while using the computer, that buzzing noise could be your hard drive dying prematurely.

If your computer is idle before going dark, you may have your powersaving settings too low.

Since the computer is relatively new, here is Dell's support number (800) 624-9896.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']If your monitor goes blank while using the computer, that buzzing noise could be your hard drive dying prematurely.

If your computer is idle before going dark, you may have your powersaving settings too low.

Since the computer is relatively new, here is Dell's support number (800) 624-9896.[/QUOTE]

yeah i think hes right i had the same problem with my pc years ago and once i changed harddrives everythig was ok and i was ale to put the old drive in an external enclosure and retreive any data i needed off of the old drive.

If it was just a hard drive problem then it should still output to the monitor through the POST, it just wouldn't boot into the OS. It has to be a problem with the processor/motherboard/video card/monitor itself if it doesn't show anything on the monitor, but otherwise powers on. If it has a system speaker or other way to monitor the POST then that might help you a little.

In any case you'll probably be either getting somebody from Dell to come fix it or sending it in to Dell if its in warranty.

Play a CD through the computer. If the computer continues playing the CD when the monitor goes blank, the problem is a cable, connector or monitor problem. If the computer stops playing the CD when the monitor goes blank, you have an "Ah, damn!" problem.

Could be a problem with the video card or video driver.

Try booting into safe mode. See if you have the same problem.
If it doesn't happen in safe mode, it's likely an issue with your video driver.
Find out what kind of graphics card you've got and check the manufacturer's website for updates.

bread's done
Back