Anyone looking forward to any of the Final Fantasy Remakes?

gizmo29

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Final Fantasy II comes out next week, and I am somewhat interested in the title. It seems no CAG members are interested, as I cant seem to find any posts about any of the remakes. Is anyone looking forward to buying/playing these games? Which one has the better story line and gameplay (keep in mind I have not played either, I have only played FFVI for the GBA)? any help woud be appreciated.:)

http://na.square-enix.com/ffanniversary/

The website plays some pretty nice epic music, makes me want to get it more:D

II was pretty bad, but I'm still planning on picking it up...
if for no other reason so they see there's still money to be made and keep re-releasing FF games for the psp till they get to 6...

I was thinking of picking up both remakes of Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II to give as a gift to a friend who has a PSP, turns out he has Final Fantasy Origins for the PSone already. Do you all think it is worth the upgrade?

I personally look forward to the remakes, but already have Final Fantasy I+II: Dawn of Souls so not as much though.

buy a DS and get dawn of souls

Ds 129 + dawn 10 bucks or so total 130

FF 1 and 2 for PSP 60 bucks

So that would be like getting a ds for 70

You could actually probably find an SP used for around $50, spend $10-15 for Dawn of Souls, and get an amazing handheld system plus both games for the same price as the PSP remakes.

I refuse to buy these remakes. The new art is horrible, and they offer nothing new.

[quote name='Orion_of_Chaos']II was pretty bad, but I'm still planning on picking it up...
if for no other reason so they see there's still money to be made and keep re-releasing FF games for the psp till they get to 6...[/quote]

Garbage. Straight garbage.

A remake of 6 is never gonna happen. Do not, I repeat, do not cop this shit or Square is just going to sell us more shit and never a proper remake.

I'm looking forward more to the new tactics game and the new FFVII spinoff, assuming it won't be as terrible as the other FFVII spinoffs.

I'd say I'm looking forward to FF1AE, but I already went out and bought it. I already knew what to expect here, and enjoy it for what it is.

I'll buy FFII, just for the sake of completing my PSP RPG collection, but no graphical upgrade and additional content can stop that game from being full-on garbage.

They should have either:
• Gone back to the traditional level up system
• Made the enemy stats dynamic (ex:SaGa) so that the character development would actually be balanced.

I don't mean to sound biased when I say this, but them putting it on the DS instead of the PSP makes me wonder how much of FF4's cinematic sense they're about to compromise to make it work with the DS hardware.

A true feeling of a epic game wasn't needed in FF3, since it had very little emphasis on the storyline - so they could get away with not having a serious theme and going for all-out gameplay, but using FF3's system for a game like FF4 that's so drastically different, makes me feel somewhat like I'm about to see my favorite FF destroyed... especially with all the previews indicating that the same art style of FF3 is being kept instead of using something that's more serious... more suitable for FF4.

Hopefully I'm wrong... either way I'll buy.

[quote name='TLR']
I'm also looking forward to FFIV on the DS. FF4 is my absolute favorite FF game, and I've been waiting for a full 3D remake of it.

I don't mean to sound biased when I say this, but them putting it on the DS instead of the PSP makes me wonder how much of FF4's cinematic sense they're about to compromise to make it work with the DS hardware.
[/quote]
I think they're putting it on DS so they can bank phat rolls of ca$h.:D

I also believe that the FF3 remake will be ported to the PSP eventually, and the FF4 one will no doubt follow. Square Enix be some greedy SOBs.

let me get this straight, TLR. You're saying you're worried about the DS's 3D capable, Full Motion Video playable, almost 10 years later hardware's ability to match the "cinematic sense" of what was previously a Super Nintendo game?

Might want to think that one though. This is a monumental step up in hardware.

[quote name='FunkyDoRight']I want FFIX on a hand held, to me it is the greatest of them all even though i know i prob stand alone on that one.[/quote]

Can't you already do this? I know I was playing VII and VIII on my PSP. Have not tried IX yet.

Although I guess if you aren't running Mr. Dark Alex's firmware, you are sol.

[quote name='Krymner']I think they're putting it on DS so they can bank phat rolls of ca$h.:D[/quote]
I don't doubt that for a second, and don't blame 'em either; they're a company, and they want money... and through previous experience, they likely already saw the general bias that makes a port/remake on the DS "a masterpiece reborn" whereas on the PSP, it'll just be received as "another god-damn port/remake".

[quote name='Krymner']I also believe that the FF3 remake will be ported to the PSP eventually, and the FF4 one will no doubt follow. Square Enix be some greedy SOBs.[/quote]
Ported to PSP? I can't say I've thought about that one. It'd be interesting though... with the touch screen doing so little that can't be done with standard controls, I could see it happening, but I think all the abrasive, solid colors would burn my eyes if put on the PSP untouched.

[quote name='jer7583']let me get this straight, TLR. You're saying you're worried about the DS's 3D capable, Full Motion Video playable, almost 10 years later hardware's ability to match the "cinematic sense" of what was previously a Super Nintendo game?

Might want to think that one though. This is a monumental step up in hardware.[/quote]
The step up in hardware and FMV capability has almost nothing to do with what I just said.

It's the way they're approaching it; and that it still looks like FF3 instead of something more suitably serious(like, perhaps FF8).

What makes FFII so bad in the eyes of fans and rpg players? Likewise, what makes FFI so much better than FFII? I plan on picking one of these up next week, it seems the general concensus is FFI >> FFII

[quote name='AndrewCP']I'm actually more interetested in Crisis Core.[/QUOTE]
I'm looking forward to that one as well.

I'm just hoping it's not another Dirge of Cerberus. That is probably the worst game I have ever played.

FFI is great if you haven't played it yet and want to see the series' roots.

I haven't played II.

Squaresoft find another way to rip off the customers. Both final fantasy and final fantasy psp remakes included the extra content of final fantasy dawn of souls for gamboy advance combine graphics of final fantasy origins for playstation one with a few additional changes found on psp exclusive.

It kinda silly to buy both psp version considering:

Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls + Final Fantasy Origins = total
$20+$20=$40

Final fantasy I psp + final fantasy ii psp = total
$30+$30=$60

I don't think the few additional changes are worth $20 if you ask me.

[quote name='gizmo29']What makes FFII so bad in the eyes of fans and rpg players? Likewise, what makes FFI so much better than FFII? I plan on picking one of these up next week, it seems the general concensus is FFI >> FFII[/quote]

It's fucking terrible. I mean, I'm sure it was real great in its day and everything BUT it's been merked 100x since then. FFI is all nostalgia for me, and I'm sure the same for just about everyone else here. FFII is just awkward, boring and uninspired. Don't buy it.

You have to attack your own party members to gain experience and level up in FFII, which is annoying, supposedly they fixed and balanced it a bit more in the PSP version. The only thing I liked about FFII was the added CG opening, it was awesome.

just download the roms for the I and II. But for tactics it actually looks decent but I never played Tactics, well only a little.

[quote name='furyk']Forget downloading the ROMS, just rob your local Wal Mart for these games.[/quote]
haha ok just break the law, thats worse than downloading.

[quote name='SolidMetal']haha ok just break the law, thats worse than downloading.[/QUOTE]
Breaking the law is worse than breaking the law?

[quote name='TLR']

A true feeling of a epic game wasn't needed in FF3, since it had very little emphasis on the storyline - so they could get away with not having a serious theme and going for all-out gameplay, but using FF3's system for a game like FF4 that's so drastically different, makes me feel somewhat like I'm about to see my favorite FF destroyed... especially with all the previews indicating that the same art style of FF3 is being kept instead of using something that's more serious... more suitable for FF4.

Hopefully I'm wrong... either way I'll buy.[/QUOTE]
I know exactly what you're saying. FFIII: DS worked fine, because the game is pretty lighthearted and isn't completely story-driven. I'm not sure the DS has the power to give FFIV a justifiable remake, especially if it's going to have the same art direction as FFIII. As you said, if it looked more along the lines of FFVIII, it could be incredible.

That being said, I'll still buy it immediately and wait for it to get remade again in ten years, hopefully more to how I imagine it.

I might grab FF:AE when it hits $10, but I've purchased it enough times now, I think. I already finished FFII once, and I don't really plan on playing it again.

The FFT remake is what's making me buy a PSP.

[quote name='gizmo29']What makes FFII so bad in the eyes of fans and rpg players? Likewise, what makes FFI so much better than FFII? I plan on picking one of these up next week, it seems the general concensus is FFI >> FFII[/quote]
See, the thing is, FF1, while nothing controversial (by today's standards), is at least a solid game that's decent enough for a nostalgia trip, or even a brand new experience for those that missed out on it's other releases.

FF2, on the other hand, reeks of imbalance, is structured very oddly, is sunken up to it's neck in technical flaws, has a very strange and intensity-lacking way of progressing the story, gets unbearably repetitive, lacks challenge, has a cast of totally forgettable characters... and tops it off with one of the most awful standard boss themes I've ever heard (may be a small gripe to some, but soundtrack's a big deal for me, and the standard boss theme of FF2 sounds like desert music... boring desert music).

I also support the Dawn of Souls suggestion, esp. since the other releases (4-6 Advance) and the IV remake are all on or coming to the DS. And the Tactics sequel...And Revenant Wings...

I played through FF2 on FF Origins, and while I didn't hate it enough to not finish it, when I got Dawn of Souls on clearance I started a new game on FF2 and then realized how much I never wantd to play it ever again.

Worth playing? Maybe if you're starving for RPGs and love all things FF. But it's not worth $30, and S-E is insane for releasing it as a seperate title.

After the countless abuse that FFII was getting (and from the reviews I read) I decided to go and buy FFI. Its actually really good and looks beautiful on the psp screen. Bear in mind, I have never played FFI (the only FF game I ever played was FFVI). Its pretty simple to get into. I would deffinately reccomend it. To those that have already played it, I guess there really isnt much to see, but for people like me, I guess it works out ok if Square constantly rehashes their old library.

[quote name='gizmo29']After the countless abuse that FFII was getting (and from the reviews I read) I decided to go and buy FFI. Its actually really good and looks beautiful on the psp screen. Bear in mind, I have never played FFI (the only FF game I ever played was FFVI). Its pretty simple to get into. I would deffinately reccomend it. To those that have already played it, I guess there really isnt much to see, but for people like me, I guess it works out ok if Square constantly rehashes their old library.[/quote]

FFII is not a bad game, though it is a bit different. I would bet that most of those who are bashing it have only tried it for a few minutes, if at all. In fact, I didn't care for II at first, but after a few hours I really started to enjoy it. I eventually completed the game when it was released on the PS1, after having spent many hours with the translated JP rom a few years before that. It's a game you really must try for yourself before judging.

[quote name='onikage']FFII is not a bad game, though it is a bit different. I would bet that most of those who are bashing it have only tried it for a few minutes, if at all.[/quote]
Nope, completed it 100%, as well as the additional side-story based of some of the characters that died during the adventure.

Actually, in the cases of all the FF games I hated (FFX, FF8 and of course FF2) I usually started off enjoying them, and didn't hate them until I got very far and/or completed the game.

[quote name='TLR']Nope, completed it 100%, as well as the additional side-story based of some of the characters that died during the adventure.

Actually, in the cases of all the FF games I hated (FFX, FF8 and of course FF2) I usually started off enjoying them, and didn't hate them until I got very far and/or completed the game.[/quote]

I don't doubt that there are some that played through it and didn't like it, such as yourself. That's why I said "most" people.

[quote name='onikage']FFII is not a bad game, though it is a bit different. I would bet that most of those who are bashing it have only tried it for a few minutes, if at all. In fact, I didn't care for II at first, but after a few hours I really started to enjoy it. I eventually completed the game when it was released on the PS1, after having spent many hours with the translated JP rom a few years before that. It's a game you really must try for yourself before judging.[/quote]

Feck no. I made it to the very end and got pretty high up in the bestiary percentage before I finally said no mas.

The one thing they really makes me angry about FF I aniversary edition, is the fact that they didnt add a freak'in map, I mean, c'mon, its the least they could of done. Ah well, its still a pretty sweet game

I'm considering getting a PSP just for the Final Fantasy Tactics remake. I'm also interested in playing my PS1 games on it.

In terms of non-PSP FF remakes, FFIV interests me. I didn't get that into FFIII though.

[quote name='gizmo29']The one thing they really makes me angry about FF I aniversary edition, is the fact that they didnt add a freak'in map, I mean, c'mon, its the least they could of done. Ah well, its still a pretty sweet game[/quote]Are you talking about a mini-poster with the world map?

If not, you know you can access the map by pressing select+dash button, right?

bread's done
Back