Anyone notice the discrimination

dakid1000

CAGiversary!
Has anyone but myself noticed that ps3 prices for multi platform games are usually more? They make ps3 owners pay more for less, or for the exact same product. Does anyone happen to know why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Specifically for the store I worked at, one of the reasons the PS3 games ended up being more expensive is that a majority of the customers in our area were 360 owners. That meant when a multiplatform game came out, a majority of the copies sold were 360, and in return, that many more used copies had a chance of coming back in. At that point it was just a matter of pricing the supply we had.

As for other places, I couldn't tell you.

[quote name='ExplodingRat']Specifically for the store I worked at, one of the reasons the PS3 games ended up being more expensive is that a majority of the customers in our area were 360 owners. That meant when a multiplatform game came out, a majority of the copies sold were 360, and in return, that many more used copies had a chance of coming back in. At that point it was just a matter of pricing the supply we had.

As for other places, I couldn't tell you.[/QUOTE]

Well that makes perfect sense. Just classic supply and demand. But it seems that if those copies of ps3 games were harder to sell, one would lower the price to sweeten the deal.

What store chain is this at? I ask because every new release game(unless it's a budget title) is priced at $59.99 for both the PS3 and 360 around here with no discrepancy whatsoever.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What store chain is this at? I ask because every new release game(unless it's a budget title) is priced at $59.99 for both the PS3 and 360 around here with no discrepancy whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

amazon, gamestop, hastings, frys, etc

What kind of price difference are we talking here? Are you sure it isn't a temporary sale at those places or in the case of Amazon that those are being sold by a third party and not Amazon themselves?

I am pretty sure amazon was selling the PS3 version of Marvel vs Capcom 3 Special edition cheaper than the Xbox 360 version

Like for example, home front on amazon. Usually over time, the ps3 games tend to cost two to five dollars more. I guess I'm the only one to notice.

[quote name='dakid1000']Like for example, home front on amazon. Usually over time, the ps3 games tend to cost two to five dollars more. I guess I'm the only one to notice.[/QUOTE]
Wait. You're complaining about a price difference of $2-5? Really?:whistle2:# To me, that's one cheap game traded in to cover that gap.

But what games are you talking about exactly? If you mean new releases, then you're definitely still in the mindset of a normal consumer, as many CAG's wait till stuff hits the used shelves and/or price drops a bunch before buying games.

You may want to look into Amazon's Warehouse Deals site, as they have gently used/'damaged' copies of games for under MSRP.

Maybe the companies have to pay more for the PS3 version due to the cost of the blu-ray disc over the 360 version or the cost of a dvd????

Aren't costs higher to make teh BluRayz too? Not sure where that comes in to the whole retailer side of things, but technically speaking, each disc should be a bit more expensive in terms of manufacturing costs. Do retailers buy both versions for the same price?

Dammit, guy above me wrote the same thing. Should've refreshed before I posted! :p

[quote name='berzirk']Aren't costs higher to make teh BluRayz too? Not sure where that comes in to the whole retailer side of things, but technically speaking, each disc should be a bit more expensive in terms of manufacturing costs. Do retailers buy both versions for the same price?

Dammit, guy above me wrote the same thing. Should've refreshed before I posted! :p[/QUOTE]

Great minds think alike!

I've never seen this higher price thing... I will say that on average PS3 sells worse here, so more end up on the sales rack. Recently I've wanted the Star Wars CE, and am waiting for a drop. I've seen at least 1 ps3 per store, and 2 xbox total.

I will say that ive seen better promos with xbox, but isnt that because xbox for instance doesnt charge cash but points. So unlike PSN where you must pay 20 for 20, they dont get anything for stocking PS3 codes unlike xbox.

I tried to buy a Playstation 3 game and the store owner said "GET OUT, BOY!" and chased me out of town. I think it was the color of my skin :(

[quote name='dakid1000']Has anyone but myself noticed that ps3 prices for multi platform games are usually more? They make ps3 owners pay more for less, or for the exact same product. Does anyone happen to know why?[/QUOTE]

Because more 360 owners are minorities. They can't afford to pay their child support as is, so how can they afford PS3 games?

Microsoft is a US company and you should only support them. Thus you should pay a tax for being non-American; Fundamentalist Republicans told me so.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Because more 360 owners are minorities. They can't afford to pay for their malt liquor, so how can they afford PS3 games?[/QUOTE]

fixed it for you man.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wait. You're complaining about a price difference of $2-5?.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the one that refuses to get a better tier of internet because it costs five dollars more? This is flabbergasting coming from you.

When the game is first launched the prices are almost exactly the same. I would assume the difference in price comes from It costing more to program a Playstation game....just a guess.

[quote name='Chadt74']Microsoft is a US company and you should only support them. Thus you should pay a tax for being non-American; Fundamentalist Republicans told me so.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing, using domestic cars and alcohol vs. imports. It doesn't surprise me that prices for PS3 versions are slightly higher, they want you to buy local only.

[quote name='Paco']Aren't you the one that refuses to get a better tier of internet because it costs five dollars more? This is flabbergasting coming from you.[/QUOTE]
Actually it's $10 more a month. To me that's still redonkulous. They should have replaced the 768kbps DSL lowest speed with the 3mbps one for $19.99 a month a year or two ago already.

What the hell you guys talking about? Xbox and PS3 games cost the same, duh! If you're talking about mark downs or used, then that's a different story! To me, the mark downs almost always even out. Sometimes I find Xbox deals and wish the games were PS3 format. While other times I find PS3 sale games and wish they were Xbox format. For used games, I do tend to agree that used PS3 games have higher price. Well, I can't speak for anyone, but I know that if I wanted to retain resell value, I'll go after the PS3 format simply because people are reluctant to buy Xbox used games due to scratch reasons. I stopped buying used Xbox games from Gamestop.

Then I realized the PS3 games are region free (not DLC) so that means I have more purchasing choices. For example, I got PS3's Prince of Persia HD collection for $21 shipped from UK last month (new too). You can't beat that! The whole gaming discrimination thing is outrageous... The only thing I find it discriminating is that gamers from diffierent platforms can't game online together. Portal 2 is the only one I can think of that allows PC/Mac and PS3 gamers to play together.

bread's done
Back