Anyone pick up Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer?

johnnypark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
I didn't even know this had come out, but saw a review for it and I'm kind of interested in it. I used to play the original Rogue on an ancient IBM PC, Jr when I was 7 or 8, and loved it despite how hard it was.

Anyone else into roguelike games? I'll be honest, I haven't played one since then, but I was so fond of it that I really want to give Shiren a try.

The main complaints in the reviews I've looked at seem to be the difficulty, but that's half the fun in games like this, so I would prefer to hear from fans of the genre more than someone who was assigned to write a review. Thoughts?

Truth is that this game isn't that hard. Long as you don't rush and gain full experience points from each levels, you'll be fine. Oh and try to keep some good weapons stored. Reviewers this days are bunch of pussies. Nanostray 2 is another recent game getting screwed over for sane difficulty level.

Thanks for the replies! You all have convinced me to cash in some of that store credit for this.

...and add it to the backlog that school is preventing me from even touching :)

I'm really surprised more people on CAG haven't jumped into Shiren. Then again I wouldn't of thought twice about the game until I started seeing some of the reviews and listening to Jeremy Parish talk about the game on Retronauts.

To me the game is a must have if you're looking for something a little different. It starts out rough but the way you gradually become more comfortable with the game it really fleshes itself out with a lot of variety and creative gameplay.

Having an absolute blast with it.
I'm about 16 hours in and have so far just been experimenting with the game by playing with different items and figuring out strategies. I did a whole run last night without any weapon equipped (none were to be found and i had none in storage) and actually got farther than I had ever before. I'm now just settling down to work on leveling some weapons to see if I can beat the game but I honestly didn't even care about it until last night.

Amazing game

[quote name='RollingSkull']I am actually sick to death of Roguelikes. Nostalgia only acts as a driving force for so long.[/QUOTE]

Well honestly it was my first time even playing any rougelikes. I don't know why I ever passed them up before, something about the combat that turned me off. Or even more so than that I think I just didn't understand how you played them properly.

Shiren is a ridiculously addictive game though. I was 2 dungeons away from beating the main quest when I ran into 2 MONSTER HOUSES IN A ROW!

Yea, it sucked. I died.

Sad night.

bread's done
Back