anyone play marvel trading card game yet?

I've been thinking of picking this up since I used to love playing Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering (and I really hope they come out on the DS, since I decided never to play physical trading card games again a few years ago after spending too much money on cards), but I only have two badges in Pokemon so I have a long way to go in that. I'll just wait until after I beat Pokemon to pick up Marvel TCG.

I picked it up Friday since I was out of town for the Memorial Day weekend. I've been looking forward to it since last year, even though I hadn't played the card game before.

Having put in some significant time, I'm in the middle of chapter 2 (hero side), and if you play it, you know that it takes a while to get there. The big thing I'd recommend to anyone starting is make sure you turn on auto pass (it's in the options menu in-game). I've got it set to low right now, and it sped up the game a lot from the default.

The interface (and game) have a pretty steep learning curve, which is only compounded by the horrible tutorial system in the game. The Angry Video Game Nerd could do a whole video on the tutorial, it's so bad. It's good that it has the pop-up dialog boxes explaining what's going on, but that's it. It's not interactive, and they don't let you see the details of any cards in the tutorial. So when they tell you that the opponent played a specific plot twist card, you had better be online so you can look it up if you want to know what's going on. Otherwise, you just nod your head and smile. Don't worry, though, that's just the tutorial. The actual game lets you click on cards and see them.

Once in the game, it takes a while to figure out what's going on when the computer plays. There's an icon in the center to let you know the current play, and if you click it, it will bring up the card causing it on the second screen. If there are multiple targets for the action, look really hard and you'll see the borders designating them.

Really, I'd say they did the best they could with the interface. It's hard to display as much information as this game needs on such a small screen. I guess we're fortunate that we got a second screen just to view a full sized card.

Once you get past the hurdles of the interface (which really only takes about 2 or 3 games, max), I've found it to be a pretty good game. There are a lot of cards, and they trickle in slowly. (Not all matches give you the default 200 points, some will give you more.) Because so many cards are specific to teams, it's hard (even at my point in the game) to build a strong deck, so the computer can get pretty tough at times.

I thought about getting this game, then I saw the snk card fighters game. how is that one? anyone have any formed opinions on it?

bread's done
Back