Anyone play MMORPGs?

airgamer

CAG Veteran
Hey everyone, I'm new here.

Like the subject says, does anyone play MMORPGs? I play Fiesta Online. It's an anime-style 3D MMO.

Does anyone else play Fiesta? What MMOs do you all play?

Star Trek Online (lifetime) - not perfect, but it has a LOT of potential and Cryptic is currently giving us a ton of free content. Lifetime subs are gone now, but are rumored to come back at $300, but with no extras like before.

Guild Wars (think Magic the Gathering meets an MMO - w/ no monthly fees). Biggest issue I had with this is that the characters tend to have too many similarities (too many of the same head type, etc..). Still, a fun 'skills' based MMO (skills are like MTG cards, play off each other, etc)

D&D Online is installed, but with all the microtransactions....lets just say, things start to cost when you hit level 4....feels a bit nickel and dime-ish, plus you start out fighting rats and boring low level stuff (great !), but some of the levels have great roleplaying aspects from D&D, soooo. My least fav, but still installed :cool:

Tried Shaiya, great if you are into hard high level types of adventuring (lame single player experience, but I hear the PvP is great once you get your character's level up).

So far, STO is the best and GW ranks after it (IMO) :applause:

Tried Wow and the newbie area sucked so bad (UPS missions, so much fun !). I know it gets much better once you level up. Blizzard/Activision realizes that newbies aren't joining and is releasing some new low-level content to help attract new players. With 11+ million subscribers, they are the largest by far.

I have the LOTOR MMO, but have not tried it yet (got the collectors ed for something like $2-$3). I know they did or do still sell lifetime subs for $300 (it was $200 I heard if you knew someone who was a founder...). I hear it is pretty decent, even if your not a huge LOTOR fan (casual).

I refuse to pay a monthly fee. if there is no lifetime sub or SOME way to offset the costs (like free /w microtransactions) then you can count me out (bad enough we are paying premium price for skins and maps on PSN and XBL - remember when maps and skins were considered something to sell the core game and were offered for many months afterwards to keep sales up - now most games are dead within 6 months - weak).

Currently playing DDO but I wouldn't consider it a MMORPG by "instance" standards. (its a hub game like guild wars)

Past MMORPG games include-
Hero Online
Anarchy Online
R.O.S.E. Online
Knight Online
Atlantica Online
Conquer Online

and last and probably least

Maple Story

All free, all not that great. Atlantica was probably the best for everything but PvP. Conquer Online I absolutely loved thanks to its free for all PvP system, you could attack anyone at any time and they will drop some of their inventory when they die. Some low level guy just picked up a meteor drop? Hunt his ass down and kill him and he drops it. I just don't seem to like "real" MMORPG games. I much prefer all instanced stuff.

I play MMOs for the story. I know most ppl don't care but some of them have some interesting stories. Plus, once you have a friend or more with you it becomes even more fun.

DDO has one of the best stories I've played online.

PVP is a wash. Raids are OK. They could be better but they are not awful.

So are there any out there with good stories? I can't get into the perpetual grinding/neverending world thing, but if something had a good story with an end date or at least compelling I might get into it.

I play Dungeon Fighter Online. It's a 2D side-scroller reminiscent of old school Beat-Em Ups like Streets of Rage and TMNT on the Genesis. You level up and stuff, different classes, dungeons, quests, etc.

Pretty fun. It's also the only game that can run on my laptop. :/

[quote name='Freedom Fries']I play Dungeon Fighter Online. It's a 2D side-scroller reminiscent of old school Beat-Em Ups like Streets of Rage and TMNT on the Genesis. You level up and stuff, different classes, dungeons, quests, etc.

Pretty fun. It's also the only game that can run on my laptop. :/[/QUOTE]

That looks awesome.

Haven't played one since way back with FFXI about 6 years ago. I was like 13 at the time when I played it but quit a year and a half later, damn I actually kinda missed it and there were times I wanted to get back on but since PlayOnline had that policy where they delete your account only after a month or two. I thought it'd be best not to go back. Wasn't planning on wasting my time again starting from Lv. 1

Can't wait for FFXIV, damn it, It's going to kill my life again. Grrr.

[quote name='Freedom Fries']I play Dungeon Fighter Online. It's a 2D side-scroller reminiscent of old school Beat-Em Ups like Streets of Rage and TMNT on the Genesis. You level up and stuff, different classes, dungeons, quests, etc.

Pretty fun. It's also the only game that can run on my laptop. :/[/QUOTE]

I like that game a lot also. It's one of the few MMORPGs that I can play with a gamepad (without too much work).

I have 1 character on storage waiting for a friend.

I starting a new one this week with all the free time the family and I have.

After WAR and Champions Online, I've sworn off MMOs. It's just too much money for the same old crap. I might pick up a F2P one sometime down the road, but for now, I'll enjoy single-player life :p

I also recommend DDO. It is a sort of throw-back to some of the classic side scrolling beat 'em up games. I had fun with this game for a while, until school started up again and I had to hit the books.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I think this is a poorly working troll for Fiesta.[/QUOTE]

Normally I would think you're jumping to conclusions there and we should give the new guy the benefit of the doubt blah blah... but look at the OP's blog entry. I wonder if he gets paid to refer people or if the makers of Fiesta online really think CAGs are idiots.

So many shitty free2play MMOs.. I feel sick.

I'm sticking to Fallen Earth at this point. It's not every-fucking-other MMO.[

Shameless plug: http://www.fallenearth.com

10 day free trials w/no credit card required for them. Try it, if you like it I believe GameStop (in-store only) has the box w/the first month/account for only $29.99 now

Warning: Game is rated M.

WoW is my mainstay, along with FFXI, and a bit of Grand Fantasia.

Past MMOs include:

Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Universe
Soul of the Ultimate Nation
Granado Espada : Sword of the New World
D & D Online
Everquest
Guild Wars

Not as many as others, but some were gems. I can't wait for FFXIV to release, personally.

wow is okay but if you dont raid it's only about 3-4 months of fun.

i play eq too but i stopped really playing hardcore int hat game about a year ago. just burnt out in it and told my guild im going to take an extended break hehe. after gettign into consoles it might be tough for me to get back into teh game because the graphics are really bad :)

im pretty much done for mmo rpgs for a while. think like that smeldy guy says the genre is played out

I've played tons, I haven't really found one I could stick with though.

NexusTK (definitely stuck with this one for the longest, about 5 years or so)
Asheron's Call
EQ1
EQ2
Final Fantasy Online
Ultima Online
WoW

I would love to play a MMORPG with friends who were actually my level and played.. Unfortunately, haven't really been able to find a good group.

I starting playing WoW the day it came out in November 2004 ... stopped paying for it on January 2009. Picked it back up in January 2010, exactly 1 year and 3 days after the last time I stopped playing. So I made it for my year break lol.

The game is great if you guys have never played it. Has an epic story that you'll learn through quests, talking to people, and reading the in game books and stuff. You'll spend an immense amount of time doing everything you can. PvP, PvE, lore, just simply seeing everything. They also have special events for a change of pace.

I've played other MMOs, Star Wars Galaxies, DDO, Lord of the Rings, Guild Wars (Worst "MMO" ever) but WoW holds strong till this day. I've never put more hours into a game then it. I even hate the original Warcrafts heh, no idea why I picked the game up at random when it came out. Hell I didn't even know what the game was when I picked it up at the time. OO and 11 Million doesn't lie :D

Looking forward to Guild Wars 2. I love the no monthly fee idea. I'm WAYYYY more likely to spend some money on items/more storage/etc. than to pay $10-15 a month. The great thing about Guild Wars is I can play occasionally and I don't have to worry about needing to find people to play with. I can grab 3 (or 4?) Henchmen/Mercenaries to tag along with me and have some fun :)

[quote name='Megazell']I like that game a lot also. It's one of the few MMORPGs that I can play with a gamepad (without too much work).

I have 1 character on storage waiting for a friend.

I starting a new one this week with all the free time the family and I have.[/QUOTE]

Let me know whenever you're online playing. I might start a new character too.
Anyone else wanna join in too? We can start a CAG group or something, maybe.

I've played/tried quite a few since my first foray in with Final Fantasy XI.

FFXI
Everquest 2
WoW
Star Wars: Galaxies
City of Heroes/Villains
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Lineage 2
Vanguard
Champions Online
Age of Conan

Maple Story
Dungeon Fighter Online

... at the moment though, just playing FFXI here and there as I wait for FFXIV to come out. Don't really have much interest in any other MMO that's out/coming out save possibly KOTOR.

[quote name='Freedom Fries']Let me know whenever you're online playing. I might start a new character too.
Anyone else wanna join in too? We can start a CAG group or something, maybe.[/QUOTE]

Wed and Sunday - 10:30 PM EST to 12:30 AM EST.

[quote name='georox']So many shitty free2play MMOs.. I feel sick.

I'm sticking to Fallen Earth at this point. It's not every-fucking-other MMO.[

Shameless plug: http://www.fallenearth.com

10 day free trials w/no credit card required for them. Try it, if you like it I believe GameStop (in-store only) has the box w/the first month/account for only $29.99 now

Warning: Game is rated M.[/QUOTE]

When that game goes free. I will be right there ;)

Can't believe nobody mentioned Ragnarok Online. The game is probably 10 years old but it was my first MMO and I loved it. I never played the official servers cause I was too cheap so I was always jumping around to private servers. Haven't played in quite a long time, but that game was pretty fun. Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 were also fun on PC on that Schtack server.

I don't play any currently. My life doesn't really allow for the time that I need to play.

I did play Ultima Online, Everquest and then World of Warcraft, each for about 6 months. Like someone earlier said, WoW was great but once you hit level 50 or so you have to start getting into raids and always working in groups, which is a pain if you don't have a lot of time to play.

I played through the original Guild Wars and got to level 20, but I had pretty much lost interest by then.

I beta tested Star Trek Online, which was enough to convince me not to buy it.

I used to play WoW for awhile but the $15 a month got to me especially when my gear would mean shit come next expansion.

I have Guild Wars, I stopped playing because of me getting Mass Effect/2 and well some quests can be a bit long for me to have the time to do right now. I do enjoy it a lot though because I can play it singleplayer and there is an actual end to the games.

I tried some of these "free to play" games but they turned out to be grindfests and got very boring.

[quote name='lordwow']Like someone earlier said, WoW was great but once you hit level 50 or so you have to start getting into raids and always working in groups, which is a pain if you don't have a lot of time to play.
[/QUOTE]

Actually it was never a specific level where you had to group with WoW, but instead the maximum level the game let you reach if you wanted to continue to explore end game content. Even then you can do dungeons pretty quickly thanks to the new matchmaking dungeon system (for lack of a better name) they implemented a couple months back if I remember correctly. Granted DPS still take a little bit of time to get matched up with a party and in that mean time you can be doing whatever you wish.

Raids though, yeah, take a bit of time. Far less now than they did back in the early days of WoW. I don't really have specific figures since raids with random people really aren't my style and my friends quit a long time ago. Not to mention my account isn't even active anymore. It was always more of a plan ahead to make time kind of deal to begin with though.

Warcraft here. Dont play much anymore though, Ive seen just about all the content and the community does nothing to keep me interested. Cancelled my account, Ill pick it back up a month before cataclysm comes out though.

I used to play ultima online, meridian 59 and everquest also though. Had a short stint in conan but that last like a month.

I do miss everquest the most, I played it hardcore for 4 years after it first came out and loved it. The game was so god damn hard that it forced the community to work together. Was always great in high use zones like dreadlands people would get to know eachother just through the zones general chat, groups would stay together 5 hours or more, people helped eachother and was just a good experince till the game went to shit and kept getting easier and easier and eventually game was so huge with pointless and empty content it got no fun to play.

[quote name='gargus']
I do miss everquest the most, I played it hardcore for 4 years after it first came out and loved it. The game was so god damn hard that it forced the community to work together. Was always great in high use zones like dreadlands people would get to know eachother just through the zones general chat, groups would stay together 5 hours or more, people helped eachother and was just a good experince till the game went to shit and kept getting easier and easier and eventually game was so huge with pointless and empty content it got no fun to play.[/QUOTE]

I agree about EQ. That was by far the most enjoyable grouping experiences I had. Especially because there were so many classes with different abilities, it was always a different mix of talents. I played a Cleric, so I was always sought after, but I remember being amazed with how well an Enchanter could hold off everything when you found a good one, but they were few and far between.

I prefer that level of specialization to a game like WoW, I feel, where you can pretty much make any class work for any style of play.

I've played, in order:

Dark Age of Camelot - My first and overall the most enjoyable one. I actually enjoyed PvP in this game.

Star Wars Galaxies - really enjoyed this one also until the huge game changes

City of Heroes - Had a lot of fun with this, still subscribed but rarely play

Star Trek Online - I'd enjoy this better if I could just understand the system and skill set. I'm totally confused even after reading guides....

Someone was telling me about a post apocalyptic MMO that was a FPS. I can't remember the name of it or if it was free or not. I want to think that it was only a 10 day free trial. Anyone know of a FPSMMO like this?

EDIT: Nevermind it looks like it might have been Fallen Earth they were talking about.

Lineage 2 was the best MMO I played in my own experience. Then Star Wars Galaxies. Awesome games!

SWG died when they decided to rehaul the whole system. :/

[quote name='airgamer']So many P2P gamers here :( Aren't there any F2P players?[/QUOTE]I've heard good things about Runes of Magic and Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO). RoM seems to be a lot like WoW if that's your thing. And speaking of WoW-alikes, Alganon has gone free to play after only a few months.

Also, the RvR game Aika Online goes into open beta on March 16th. It's a PvP game with some interesting mechanics.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Lineage 2 was the best MMO I played in my own experience./[/QUOTE]I always wished I played L2 at launch. I've seen lots of people say how great it was.

bread's done
Back