Anyone played through Baldur's Gate 1 recently?

ne2eire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
A friend gave me his DVD for the first game + Tales of the Sword Coast. I first beat this game when it came out, but want to play it again. Do you think it will work in Windows XP?

You might want to make sure you set it to Win95 compatability- but other than that you should be fine.

For some reason when I played it on my XP Home PC I got horrible slowdowns and it would crash every few minutes. When I played it on my XP Home laptop it worked just fine.
I got right to the end, but I couldn't beat the final boss. Man he's hard.

So how well has this game aged? I've been meaning to try it again... played about an hour when it first came out and I didn't really dig it.

I recently read in a magazine about a mod of Baldur's Gate using the revised Infinity Engine found in BG2. I think it's XP compatible, and makes some small but useful changes.

[quote name='Chacrana']So how well has this game aged? I've been meaning to try it again... played about an hour when it first came out and I didn't really dig it.[/QUOTE]

I was just looking at some screenshots in an SA thread and it still looks very good in my opinion. The nice thing about predrawn backgrounds is that they'll still look good years down the line.

I beat Planescape Torment again a few months ago and it held up fine graphically.

Since the game is not 3D I would say that it has aged amazingly. I mean you could call the graphics a style, not outdated. And yeah I had no trouble running it in XP.

P.S. If you have trouble on the last boss use several rods of summoning and keep summoning anmials and small guys and whatnot. Note that this would not work in Baldurs Gate 2 as they set a limit on how many things yhou can have summoned at once.

I'm more concerned about the gameplay than the graphics... that's what I'm really interested in finding out about.

Oh, and it's worth noting that I hated Icewind Dale. It seemed like it was too slow paced, there was no real story, and the characters were generic.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm more concerned about the gameplay than the graphics... that's what I'm really interested in finding out about.

Oh, and it's worth noting that I hated Icewind Dale. It seemed like it was too slow paced, there was no real story, and the characters were generic.[/QUOTE]

BG has a very interesting story with some amazing characters... the battle system is pretty much the same thing though.

bread's done
Back