Anyone playing Gamecube games consistently?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
260 (100%)
I still have my Cube hooked up but I think I'm going to go ahead and sell my Gameboy player which would give me no reason to keep it plugged in. So I'm wondering is anyone playing gamecube games and running into any issues? Any scratched discs? I know I'm being a little paranoid but I'm just wondering.

I haven't had a single problem with the Wii yet, it's been absolutely perfect on all fronts so far. I've been putting in a massive amount of play time in it recently too. A mix of Zelda: TP, and a bunch of Gamecube stuff... Zelda Collector's disc, Resident Evil 4, Zelda Wind Waker, and Paper Mario 2.

No problems with gamecube. Played RE4 yesterday, quite a bit of chibi robo, and my sister is working her way through Tomb Raider Legend for GameCube on it. No problems at all.

[quote name='jkam']I think I'm going to go ahead and sell my Gameboy player [/quote]
How much are you hoping to get for the GB player? I've been wanting one of those...

No issues with ours so far. The Gamecube side of the Wii is mostly used by my 4 year old playing Mario Cart, Smash Bros and Mario Sunshine.

[quote name='ZoneFighter']How much are you hoping to get for the GB player? I've been wanting one of those...

No issues with ours so far. The Gamecube side of the Wii is mostly used by my 4 year old playing Mario Cart, Smash Bros and Mario Sunshine.[/QUOTE]

They are going for crazy prices on ebay ($70-$100). So I was going to put it up and hope for the most! I wouldn't recommend getting a GBA player...it works well but if you have an SP or a DS you really won't end up using it. I got mine when it came out and have probably only used it a handful of times.

Do you guys have your consoles vertical or horizontal? Do you think it matters?

[quote name='jkam']They are going for crazy prices on ebay ($70-$100). So I was going to put it up and hope for the most! I wouldn't recommend getting a GBA player...it works well but if you have an SP or a DS you really won't end up using it. I got mine when it came out and have probably only used it a handful of times.

Do you guys have your consoles vertical or horizontal? Do you think it matters?[/quote] It's sad how right you are about the GBA player. I though I would use it all the time but I didn't. I've used mine maybe a half a dozen times and I got it the week it came out.
My Wii is vertical, sitting on top of my 360.
img0918ogb4.jpg

i hate to say it, i'm actually playing mostly gamecube games on my WII... I never owned one and i'm really hooked on RE4, super mario sunshine, metroid...etc

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I like my Wii but it acts like bitch with what games it's going to play.[/QUOTE]
Are there problems with the Wii playing GC games, or problems playing both Wii and GC games? When I get a Wii console I might sell my GC, but if there are issues I'll keep it instead.

[quote name='jkam']They are going for crazy prices on ebay ($70-$100). So I was going to put it up and hope for the most! I wouldn't recommend getting a GBA player...it works well but if you have an SP or a DS you really won't end up using it. I got mine when it came out and have probably only used it a handful of times.

Do you guys have your consoles vertical or horizontal? Do you think it matters?[/QUOTE]
:wall: :wall: :wall:

sold mine for $15 :(

I've already played some GameCube Zelda: Collector's Edition and Master Quest on the Wii. I also played some Ikaruga (yeah, that game) and it looks and played just fine.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I like my Wii but it acts like bitch with what games it's going to play.[/quote]

Now that's a really interesting statement. My kids and I play GameCube games constantly on the Wii. Out of our collection of 40 titles, every one has played with absolutely no problems. In fact, our copy of Metroid Prime was so scratched that the old GameCube couldn't read it. The Wii reads the disc as if it were new.

I'd love to hear what titles you are having issues with.

My only gripes about "GameCube Mode" on the Wii are:
  1. I wish I could just press (A) on the WaveBird controller at the Wii warning screen to immediately boot a GameCube disc if one is in the drive. It sucks having to juggle the Wiimote and the WaveBird to get the game running.
  2. I wish the "home" key on the Wiimote would function during GameCube play. It sucks having to manually use the power button to turn off the unit, then again to boot up.
We didn't get rid of our GameCube... just moved it downstairs to the other TV.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']Are there problems with the Wii playing GC games, or problems playing both Wii and GC games? When I get a Wii console I might sell my GC, but if there are issues I'll keep it instead.[/QUOTE]

Playing GC games. I went through 3 copies of (usesd) SSB before it would play one. Played RE4 and MGS without any problems.

Been playing through RE4 with no issues. In fact, it's better than it would've been on my Cube since I can get 480p out of supported Gamecube games and my Cube didn't have it.

Reluctantly I traded in my Cube and sold my GBP. As others have said, I thought I'd use the GBP all the time, but I just didn't, and it was my one reason for keeping the Cube. Got $40 trade in with EB for the Cube (toward Wario Ware likely) and sold the GBP for $60 + shipping on eBay. Overall, $100 for my Cube setup that would've just collected dust, not bad I guess.

But yeah, no problems here with any Cube software. Intering thing, in standby mode, the Wavebirds will still register controller input. It's kindsa weird turning the controller on and seeing the light appear on the receiver even with the Wii "off."

I've got mine standing upright as well. Disc loading is no problem. The only issue is that my Wii looks like FrankenWii with the GC memory card and Wavebird receiver sticking out of it. ;)

I have not even put a Cube disc in my Wii. Maybe I should? I still have my Cube hooked up but havn't really touched it since RE4/Wind Waker.

Speaking of putting your Wii on your 360, do you think I'll have any overheating trouble if I lay my Wii horizontally ontop of my 360? I don't have alot of space and the way I have it now makes me unable to reach the Gamecube ports. simply because the top of the Wii is nearly touching the bottom of the shelf above it.

Playing some Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat on Wii now. Was also playing some Majoras Mask , but I realize that it crashes insane amounts , but thats not due to the Wii , just the game has a bug in it for the port they made.

Since, I've missed out on playing the Gamecube, I bought a handful of GC games for my Wii and haven't run into any problems yet. I'm loving Killer 7. Can't wait to see more trailers for No More Heroes.

The only problems I'm running into is trying to go back to the Home Menu without having to shut off the system. I've tried hitting the reset button, hitting the home button on the remote. Pressing the eject button comes up with a 'Please insert game into gamecube' error.

[quote name='maxg']Since, I've missed out on playing the Gamecube, I bought a handful of GC games for my Wii and haven't run into any problems yet. I'm loving Killer 7. Can't wait to see more trailers for No More Heroes.

The only problems I'm running into is trying to go back to the Home Menu without having to shut off the system. I've tried hitting the reset button, hitting the home button on the remote. Pressing the eject button comes up with a 'Please insert game into gamecube' error.[/quote]

There is no way at all to get back to the Wii Menu. When you run a GC game, it turns from the Wii hardware to the GC hardware, which physically exists in the system. Essentially, the Wii is a Wii AND a GameCube, not a Wii that emulates GC games. Ejecting a disc will give you a GC error, as you saw, not a Wii error. You'll also notice the remote doesn't have any function, as the GC never supported the remote. Kinda sucks, but at least it's not shitty half-supported emulation like the 360's got.

[quote name='maxg']The only problems I'm running into is trying to go back to the Home Menu without having to shut off the system. I've tried hitting the reset button, hitting the home button on the remote. Pressing the eject button comes up with a 'Please insert game into gamecube' error.[/quote]Yeah, you can't. Once you start a GC disc, it goes into GC mode and there's no getting out of it unless you hit the power button. A bit obnoxious.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, you can't. Once you start a GC disc, it goes into GC mode and there's no getting out of it unless you hit the power button. A bit obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

Something I hope is addressed in a Wii Update.

bread's done
Back