Anyone studying towards a masters?

ajumbaje

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I'm looking at either getting a masters of science in geographic information systems or a masters of professional studies on the same thing. My main question is if anyone has gotten a masters in professional studies in something if that has the same caliber as a masters of science in the job world.

I was a history major in college and am looking to get a masters outside of that field and figured that since I like geography, navigation, etc. That I could look at this option.

Anyone actually in this field that has any advice?

Well I'm currently getting my MBA right now so I can't offer you any advice on your field of study. I would suggest that you get a minimum of 2 years of experience in your related field before you jump into your master's.

Kinda hard to do that since I'm getting jack squat as a history major. One of the programs I'm looking at requires that the introductory course for geographic information systems already be taken before admission. Good thing VCU offers that. I know that most universities don't require a specific background for certain programs, like the one I am looking at. I would just have to take some classes to catch up(basic classes, not graduate level)

Didn't want to do anything with your history major? Not hating on you, but I'm always surprised when people want to do a job NOT related at all to their undergrad. Just doesn't make sense to me.

What experience do you have in the field of GIS? Is this something that just popped up and you don't want to go back to undergrad to get a degree in? Grad school is not cheap and it's still not a guarantee that it will land you a job.

How can you possibly get a job with that degree that would pay you the amount you've shelled out for tuition?

[quote name='DV8'] Not hating on you, but I'm always surprised when people want to do a job NOT related at all to their undergrad. Just doesn't make sense to me.

[/QUOTE]

I worked for a few years in Telecom, but didn't learn anything in school and didn't like the work, so I went back to school for Biomed for 2 years and am working in that field now. (Even though it's purchasing)

[quote name='DV8']Didn't want to do anything with your history major? Not hating on you, but I'm always surprised when people want to do a job NOT related at all to their undergrad. Just doesn't make sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you realize that your undergrad education isn't where you want to be when you finally finish it. My wife has Bachelor's in Psycology, and a Master's in Music Education. She's now working as a chorus teacher. Of course, the psych helps with understanding kids these days I guess.

As a side note, I have a Bachelor's in Marketing, and haven't used it a day in my life.

[quote name='Anexanhume']An alternative to toilet paper.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking it would be something like that. Good thing it's only one school that offers that. The others I am interested in are Masters of Science

Join the military. Earn money, pay down current student loans, have life experiences and allow yourself tiime to decide a meaningful future course. Plus, if you are lucky, you'll get stationed overseas. Nothing against a Masters in Professional Studies, but it doesn't sound to me like it would have any earning potential. That's just my opinion though, good luck in whatever you decide.

I got a masters in geography in 2006. its essentially just as worthless as a history masters and/or undergrad unless you plan to be a professor. i had a blast doing it, but i'd say go with something more technical, like navigation or something so you can get a job.

[quote name='geosooner']I got a masters in geography in 2006. its essentially just as worthless as a history masters and/or undergrad unless you plan to be a professor. i had a blast doing it, but i'd say go with something more technical, like navigation or something so you can get a job.[/QUOTE]

That's why I mentioned Geographic Information Systems/Cartography. I knew a Master of Arts in Geog would get me nowhere. That's how I also feel about history. University of Wisconsin has a great program for that, just not sure if I can get into it.

[quote name='DV8']Didn't want to do anything with your history major? Not hating on you, but I'm always surprised when people want to do a job NOT related at all to their undergrad. Just doesn't make sense to me. [/QUOTE]

I have an engineering degree and an architecture degree from undergrad and I don't do anything remotely close to that for a living, unfortunately.

Yeah, I changed as well. Did undergrad in Journalism, hated working for a newspaper my senior year, ended up getting a Masters and Ph D in Criminology and working as a prof in that field now.

Glad I decided to stop at the Bachelors as the dumb asses who continuing on to the Master's from my class ended up not getting anything out of it.

It's not uncommon for people to major in one thing but have a career in a different field. A Bachelor's is more of a statement that you're qualified to learn, though this is true for those majoring outside the sciences.

Currently going part time for my MLS; Masters in Library Sciences. I work as a Legal Librarian currently. Hopefully when I get my degree I can become an Archivist of sorts. I like old books.

I was thinking of a masters degree in GIS...since i have one in MIS...

bread's done
Back