Anyone try this? (Doom 3 related)

It's certainly helped me, but some people have found that it doesn't make a difference. It's really YMMV. ;)

Hmmmm, it seems I will have to try this. Now that I know it works for most people, the real question is what the hell is it? I would be a lot more comfotable editing config files if I knew what I was editing.

It looks like it changes the cache for some aspect of the games imaging. Basically it stores X ammount of stuff there so that it's easier to access when it needs it. It's probably stored on your RAM so I wouldn't set it higher than maybe 2/3s your RAM.

[quote name='gamefreak']It looks like it changes the cache for some aspect of the games imaging. Basically it stores X ammount of stuff there so that it's easier to access when it needs it. It's probably stored on your RAM so I wouldn't set it higher than maybe 2/3s your RAM.[/quote]

That seems to make pretty good sense. I have a gig of Corsair Extreme, so I should be able to bump up that value nicely.

I know this is gonna sound noob, but where do you find this .config file? I've never changed a command line out of game in the actual .config file, and I can't even find the file.

[quote name='Ledhed']I know this is gonna sound noob, but where do you find this .config file? I've never changed a command line out of game in the actual .config file, and I can't even find the file.[/quote]

Doom3 Directory/base/Doomconfig

Open it with notepad and CTRL+F to find the line you're looking for. :)

And yes, it does work. Actually, it works very well. It sped up my game a great bit. I changed it to 256 (I have 512 ram)

Hmmm, seems to have really helped with me, but now, another question. Is anyone using ATI's Catalyst 4.9 Beta Drivers? I'm afraid to install them myself.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Tried it, no change here. Oddly enough, mine was initially set to 20.[/quote]

So was mine, and I might have an idea why it won't change anything for you (or me). there is a line, right above the one to be changed, that reads:

seta image_useCache "0"

On my machine (and I bet yours), the value is set to "0", which in binary means off. For the people who have it working for them, I'm willing to bet that value is set to "1". Can anyone confirm if this value must indeed be 1 for this to work?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']So was mine, and I might have an idea why it won't change anything for you (or me). there is a line, right above the one to be changed, that reads:

seta image_useCache "0"

On my machine (and I bet yours), the value is set to "0", which in binary means off. For the people who have it working for them, I'm willing to bet that value is set to "1". Can anyone confirm if this value must indeed be 1 for this to work?[/quote]

Everyone in the thread you linked said that yes, it must be set to 1 to see any change.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']So was mine, and I might have an idea why it won't change anything for you (or me). there is a line, right above the one to be changed, that reads:

seta image_useCache "0"

On my machine (and I bet yours), the value is set to "0", which in binary means off. For the people who have it working for them, I'm willing to bet that value is set to "1". Can anyone confirm if this value must indeed be 1 for this to work?[/quote]

Everyone in the thread you linked said that yes, it must be set to 1 to see any change.[/quote]

Heh, that'll teach me to read what I post.

Another weird thing: I tried bumping my rrsolution and AA, since it was running flawlessly at 1024x768 with High Detail and 4x AA, but when I bumped it to high Detail with 1152x864 with 8x AA, the next time I start Doom, the values drop to 640x480 with no AA. Any ideas on why?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Heh, that'll teach me to read what I post.

Another weird thing: I tried bumping my rrsolution and AA, since it was running flawlessly at 1024x768 with High Detail and 4x AA, but when I bumped it to high Detail with 1152x864 with 8x AA, the next time I start Doom, the values drop to 640x480 with no AA. Any ideas on why?[/quote]

This happens to my friend as well. Anytime he tries to really push his specs, it resets to the lowest possible values when he re-enters the game. It might be a safety precaution to keep from over-taxing the comp. Carmack even said that there aren't computers available yet that can push the highest specs in this game.

If you unpack all the .pk4 files, it will also give your performace a boost, since the game wont have to do it during game play. Im at work right now, but i'll try and post a link to where I found it when i get home.

ok for the record, you are just editing the amount of ram doom 3 uses on your video card, like 32, 32 bit video cards????? or I could be wrong, but I do know for sure this is a memory offset.

bread's done
Back