Anyone using wireless headphones?

Dream to Dream

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
With a 10-month old baby in the house, I'd like to keep my late-night gaming quiet
Wireless headphones seem like a great idea, but...

- How do they connect to your TV or sound system? (3.5mm audio...?)
- Can you get good, reliable units for less than $70?
- Noise cancelling would be bad. Gotta be able to hear that moniter if he wakes up.
- Most sets I see on Amazon have rechargeable batteries built in. Is battery life fairly good?
- I don't play online often, so not being able to use a chat headset for the 360 or PS3 wouldn't be a big deal.

Any suggestions?

You might also consider a headphone extension cord. You can get it at Radio Shack for maybe $7. It's less convenient, but there won't be any lag (yes, wireless headphones can introduce lag; mine sure do) and the sound quality will be way better. The only issue is that you'll have to wrap them up when you're done.

I used them in college to play while my roommate slept. It got to the point when he couldn't get to sleep without my playing Phantasy Star Online.

I had done a bunch of research into wireless headphones and all of them supposedly had a tiny bit of lag or problems with missing chunks of audio sometimes. I ended up getting a pair of Tritton AX360 because they had a ridiculously long cord on them. I've got it hidden and connected to my 360 10 feet away. Might be something to look into instead of wireless headphones.

Do a quick search on here for previous discussions. You just missed a great sale at Amazon on the EarForce headsets from Turtle Beach. The X3 and X4 are both wireless using IR and the transceiver connects via Optical or Stereo RCA jacks. The only negative with those is that they're line of sight and do receive interference from Plasma screens.

[quote name='Dream to Dream']With a 10-month old baby in the house, I'd like to keep my late-night gaming quiet
Wireless headphones seem like a great idea, but...

- How do they connect to your TV or sound system? (3.5mm audio...?)
- Can you get good, reliable units for less than $70?
- Noise cancelling would be bad. Gotta be able to hear that moniter if he wakes up.
- Most sets I see on Amazon have rechargeable batteries built in. Is battery life fairly good?
- I don't play online often, so not being able to use a chat headset for the 360 or PS3 wouldn't be a big deal.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I have a pair of Sennheiser RS120 that I've had since February 2008

- Mine connect via red/white. It came with a red/white to headphone jack adapter. I use that with my computer (plugged into the line out). Back when I had it plugged into the 360, I had to buy couplers from Radioshack (for about $4)

- Yes. My Sennheiser RS120 are only $67 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVEK Just be sure to sit the base as far away from your TV as possible (or you'll get interference). Also if you hear hiss, you either need to play with the tune feature or turn the volume down because you have it way too loud.

- These are flat eared so it's easy to hear outside noises.

- Yeah. The RS120 use rechargeable AAA. I'm still using the batteries that came with them and they can go the full day when fully charged. Just put them on the base when you go to sleep and you should be set.

- You can always do what I do and put the headset around your neck with the mic pointed up while feeding the voice through the headphones.

[quote name='prence']I had done a bunch of research into wireless headphones and all of them supposedly had a tiny bit of lag or problems with missing chunks of audio sometimes.[/QUOTE]

I have never had lag or missing chunks of audio with mine.

I have a set of X3s on eBay for cheap. 3 days left and no bids. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...98837&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Selling

I am currently using the X4s and they work really well. I adjusted the sound and sit in about the same spot and I have absolutely no complaints about buzzing. They are great and now I don't have to worry about when my roommate is going to be here because I can play all the time and not bother him.

[quote name='manthing']First thing someone would need to know is: What would be the audio source?[/quote]
Source is currently just my TV speakers, with either my PS3 or 360 hooked up via HDMI. I've got a Sony Bravia 40V2500. There's a headphone jack on the side, and both optical and RCA outputs on the back.

For those of you who mentioned audio lag, how much of a delay are we talking? A few milliseconds probably wouldn't bother me...

And thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Much as wired would be an economical choice, I do need some mobility (couple different seats in my living room where I lounge, depends on my mood)

[quote name='mzbagel']Do a quick search on here for previous discussions. You just missed a great sale at Amazon on the EarForce headsets from Turtle Beach.[/quote]
... Figures.

Oh well...

for the price i think rs120's are hard to beat.
i had a set. they had a noticeable but not intrusive hiss audible during silence.
they killer for me is they slid off my head very easily when looking down at all.
its something mentioned in several reviews on amazon.

that said the sound was very good and i cant imagine something better or as comfortable for that price.

[quote name='Sporadic']I have a pair of Sennheiser RS120 that I've had since February 2008

- Mine connect via red/white. It came with a red/white to headphone jack adapter. I use that with my computer (plugged into the line out). Back when I had it plugged into the 360, I had to buy couplers from Radioshack (for about $4)

- Yes. My Sennheiser RS120 are only $67 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVEK Just be sure to sit the base as far away from your TV as possible (or you'll get interference). Also if you hear hiss, you either need to play with the tune feature or turn the volume down because you have it way too loud.

- These are flat eared so it's easy to hear outside noises.

- Yeah. The RS120 use rechargeable AAA. I'm still using the batteries that came with them and they can go the full day when fully charged. Just put them on the base when you go to sleep and you should be set.

- You can always do what I do and put the headset around your neck with the mic pointed up while feeding the voice through the headphones.

I have never had lag or missing chunks of audio with mine.[/QUOTE]

I got the Turtle Beach X4s from Amazon for $140 during the sale they had last week and I love them! They are great for online play. They have helped a lot in call of duty and now my friends' voices come through much clear. I also use it for watching movies late at ntie out of respect to my neighbors.

I had some initial trepidation about spending so much on headphones but now that I have used them they are one of the best purchases I have ever made.

[quote name='ivanctorres']
I had some initial trepidation about spending so much on headphones but now that I have used them they are one of the best purchases I have ever made.[/QUOTE]

I agree. My wife thought I was crazy but since I had the gift money and the need I bought my set and never considered it wasted money. Wife and kid get to sleep and I get to play games with pseudo 5.1 audio with no cables to tether me when I make a kitchen run :) Considering my 5.1 setup is currently a 3.1, it makes games much more enjoyable. I miss the surround setup but my L/R speakers are in storage until we move to a new home. The current layout isn't conducive to have surrounds anywhere but on the walls which isn't worth the effort in the current house.

bread's done
Back