anyone with an N64 can relate

mr smiley

CAG Veteran
HATE the joystick.

I play alot of FPS games. And I have my "freakout escape enemy and fire like a mad man on speed times" "kamakazi into not so freindly bases". And unfortuantly it wears my joystick down in a matter of weeks, days or hours.

I ask myself, "How can I fix this contorller without spending money?"-(this being the part relatable)

Ex.
Thankfully being somewhat resourceful, I disasembled the controler and "joystick box" and those god forsaken little black..swing things...anyway, they wear out like mad. I tried melted lego plastic onto it(not really advisable) and filed it down to shape. I've used it , and it seems to do the trick, but I'm paranoid it is going to just fall apart anyway, more than likely actually.

My first attempt was atually tape wraped around it, with a small length wire where the plastic had worn down. It worked for a while, but I hadn't wrapped the tape tight enough. You could try it but tighter I guess.

Yea, anyway heres some welfare ideas you could try on fixing it::bomb:
WARNING:ATTEMPT AT OWN RISK, MR_SMILEY WON'T SEND YOU MONEY, AND IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WRONG. THERE ARE NO LOOPS HOLES.

1.Glue shaped to surface wood onto area.

2.Glue shaped to surface plastic onto area.

3.Glue shaped to surface lego onto area.

4.Size out artifical plastic nail to surface, glue to area.

5.Wrap twist tie around worn area.

6.Wrap thread around worn area.

7.Melt worn surface back to correct position***only if there is enough of worn off plastic still hanging on to original surface that can replace itself-- you may make it worse***

8.Layer a strong surface paint over area-optionally file to size after dry

9.Layer strong surfaced nail polish onto area-must dry hard, cant stick after or dent.

10.Melt down b.b. pellets to apply to worn area, or other hard plastics

11.Use nail or super glue(dries on human skin in like 10 seconds or some crazy shit) ** You have to drop onto surface and pinch with fingers, then pry fingers off without breaking(easier than sounds) then file the glue to shape

12.If there exists a no bake clay that when dry doesn't dust away, apply that that.

13. Find a pen or marker that's barrel is equal to swing part, cut to size and melt/glue into place.

14.Use an appoxy or other hard drying glue, after it dries file down to size.

15.Snot gets pretty hard after a while. I have some on my wall still from childhood, I cant get it off, so if you're desperate...

Well thats all I can come up with right now.
***Keep in mind, anything you apply has to be hard and smooth..ha and durable, you dont want the jopystick sticking, that's piss off.

OR if your joystick acts up or is just having sticking problems:

http://codebook.potchgult.com/stickrepair/stickfix.htm

OR spend a few dollars on ebay for a new joystick box or replacement parts.

If anyone found an idea that works best or has better ideas, other than buying new contorllers, please add, my friends think I'm just a cheap bastard.

***If you require further Assistance or Instrution Please Contact Me on this thread***
or Email: [email protected]

I played the N64 like mad and I never had a problem like this on a first party pad. Third party pads, sure, but Nintendo's controllers are solid.

I have taken them apart, though. I had to clean one out because I spilled Dr. Pepper into it (I was 13, sue me) and I also made custom controllers for my friends by mixing and matching different cases. Blue+Gray, Black+Gray,Red+Yellow, etc. We were styling and profiling.

Hmm... I'm having trouble relating as I have never broken an N64 controller, nor have I ever melted down LEGOs in the attempt to fix something.

[quote name='shipwreck']nor have I ever melted down LEGOs in the attempt to fix something.[/QUOTE]

Get the fuck outta here! You aint never lived my friend.

I can appreciate the resourcefulness, but luckily I have a bunch of extra 1st party N64 controllers laying around from yard sale buys and have yet to actually break one. Don't play much at all these days, but back when the 64 was my main deck my original controller held up for me.

yea i only have this problem on first party, my 3rd party one is killer, except i was drunk and had to answer the phone and didnt bother to put it down as i ran upstairs and ripped the cord off the internal board of the controller.

on a lighter note, thread is pretty much 50% serious, it occured to me the other night while i decided to pull the system out of a box in the basement and play perfect dark. My guy was not running nearly as fast, because the black track swings in the joystick were worn. haha i just started sticking shit to it to make it work. but it will probably just fall apart again.

i've always liked pc better anyway

[quote name='Puffa469']melting or otherwise destroying Lego bricks makes baby Jesus cry... :cry:[/QUOTE]

QFT

Why don't you stop destroying the greatest toys every.

Hang up the joystick. Play with you Legos instead. Be happy.

Or better yet, build a joystick out of Legos. Just don't melt them. I hope their tiny screams keep you up at night.

I have a N64 controller with a broken joystick...very annoying. They should have thought of something better when they made it.

I haven't had good luck with N64 controllers, but it is my favorite home console ever, as well as my favorite controller of all time. On the subject of Perfect Dark, though, I hope you were strafing. That is, using the joystick in conjunction with a corresponding left or right C button. It makes you go immeasurably faster, and I can't imagine playing without it.

If you were going slowly without strafing and thought it was your control stick, then you'd better not try to fix it anymore.

Well personally I would just deal with it. I remember when they hasd golden eagle controllers for only $5 at Toys "R" Us. N64 has a great controller and I used it mad times I suggest tilting the controller right then pluging in the controller.

Again try to deal with it and how bad is the stick ?

Or just buy a bunch of N64 controllers dirt cheap.

[quote name='Vegan']....
Why don't you just replace it for a couple of bucks instead of going all "MacGuyver" on it?[/QUOTE]

Cause MacGyver was cool man. He pioneered the whole "if you can't fix it yourself, you obviously dont have testicles" ideal.

Who's The Twitch Now?;2045698]I haven't had good luck with N64 controllers said:
i hear you on the strafing. i wish it had the double hit boost strafing like unreal tournament....*(drool)* yea, nintendo should have made the little fucking buggers of controlers out of steel or ha, im pretty sure glass would have lasted longer.

playstation new what they were doing when they peiced together their controlers. but nintedno 64 were rediculously confortable to handle

-yea i know the joystick box is only like a dollar on ebay and other such sites. and most likely i am going to purchase them. its just getting one of my friends with a credit card to get it, unfortunatly they are few and one is already indebt.( reason i dont have one)

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Well personally I would just deal with it. I remember when they hasd golden eagle controllers for only $5 at Toys "R" Us. N64 has a great controller and I used it mad times I suggest tilting the controller right then pluging in the controller.

Again try to deal with it and how bad is the stick ?

Or just buy a bunch of N64 controllers dirt cheap.[/quote]

dude. believe me, i tried the hole tilt and plug in , the R+L+ start ect... when i opened the controller the little tracks on the swings were worn down, and on the other controller one was worn off.

i dont even play n64 much anymore, but its the only system i have with 4 controllers, and there is nothing like drunk mario cart.

bread's done
Back