Anyone with experience purchasing a PSP from Buy.com?

Cyb3-rr

CAGiversary!
I purchased a silver Daxter bundle from buy.com. I was so excited until I powered it up for the first time and immediately noticed a dreaded stuck pixel in the upper right of the screen. Since I'm OCD and absolutely despise dead pixels, I obviously need to remedy this. I tried running PixelFixer for hours at a time to no avail. Therefore, instead of sending it to Sony to receive a refurbished replacement for my new PSP, I'm planning on sending it back to buy.com directly for replacement. Does anyone have experience exchanging items with buy.com? Would they not consider a dead pixel a defect and charge me a restocking fee/return shipping? That's what I'm worried about the most.

I bought my Daxter Pack from Buy.com, no problems at all. Just return it, it's defective. If they tell you there need to be X amount of dead pixels, tell them that's BS and you want it exchanged for free. If they still give you problems, call up Sony and you should be able to get a replacement.

I bought a Daxter bundle as well, and it makes a very loud scratching noise every time it accesses the UMD. So loud I can hear it with headphones on while playing. Searching on the official forums comes up with some people saying it's a defective drive while others say it's normal. Buy.com's policy seems to be that if they determine it's defective they'll refund return shipping, otherwise they won't. I'm not sure whether I should deal with them or let it slide for the time being as there's still a whole year's warranty from Sony.

How loud is normal for people with slims?

[quote name='sur4k']How loud is normal for people with slims?[/quote]

Pretty dang loud on my silver slim, I almost cringe everytime I hear it. My brother got one for Xmas and his is the same way. I have recently installed custom firmware and am loving loading my games (I am strongly against downloading games) from the silent memory stick. :cool:

[quote name='SynGamer']I bought my Daxter Pack from Buy.com, no problems at all. Just return it, it's defective. If they tell you there need to be X amount of dead pixels, tell them that's BS and you want it exchanged for free. If they still give you problems, call up Sony and you should be able to get a replacement.[/QUOTE]

I ordered mine from Amazon and had a dead pixel. I just emailed them and they overnighted a new system with instructions for sending the other one back. I imagine buy.com does the same thing since they and Amazon are close competitors.

[quote name='briandadude']Pretty dang loud on my silver slim, I almost cringe everytime I hear it. My brother got one for Xmas and his is the same way. I have recently installed custom firmware and am loving loading my games (I am strongly against downloading games) from the silent memory stick. :cool:[/quote]

I do the same thing though the drive is loud as hell when i rip the game from the UMD. Thankfully i don't have to use that thing all the time when playing.

[quote name='coolz481']I ordered mine from Amazon and had a dead pixel. I just emailed them and they overnighted a new system with instructions for sending the other one back. I imagine buy.com does the same thing since they and Amazon are close competitors.[/QUOTE]

Damn, now I wish I had gotten it from Amazon. Buy.com is making me send it in before they ship the replacement, so lord knows how long it'll be before I get my replacement. I was just getting into all of the awesome new stuff I didn't know about before my phat PSP was broken/stolen. Case in point: remote play. I LOVE being able to watch HD episodes of Dexter from my PSP streaming through the PS3 to my computer. The quality stunned me, as did the fact that there was no skipping even though the PC is transcoding through tversity. I'm sure the results wouldn't be the same attempting to do the same at Starbucks, though. :p

Oh well, finger crossed that I don't need to do the exchange thing again.

I would do CFW in a heartbeat to silence that drive, except I don't want to void the warranty while it's still so new. Right now I haven't logged enough hours to be confident that it won't crap out and need replacing (I'm a worrier). So for the near term, every gaming session involves alternating between smiling and cringing.

Sony should have made all PSP games rippable right from the start. It shouldn't be too different from what they do with PSN games. But they do love pushing their formats. :roll:

Back on topic, I decided not to request an RMA from Buy.com. Sounds like they'd just tell me it was normal. It's ridiculous how their policy is only good for 14 days from shipment. Too bad Amazon taxes in WA, their customer service really is great.

bread's done
Back