Anyway of knowing if a paypal account was hijaked??

Not really. Just tell him you only ship to confirmed addresses. Lucky you got a sero feedback buyer with a confirmed address to begin with

Dave

[quote name='Kendro']I set my PayPal settings to only accept payment from confirmed addresses and never had a problem since.[/QUOTE]

Mine is set up that way too..

The thing is I don't know if I should even send the item to the confirmed address. I already replied to him that I'm only gonna ship the the confirmed address on paypal.

If its within the US, I actually dont care if I ship to a different address. If something does go wrong, I can just file for mail fraud. Does the email address on eBay match the one from PayPal?

So as long the shipping is still within the US, you can still file a claim..just not with PayPal. But thats me. Thats how I would handle it. Some people arent as risky and will ONLY ship to confirmed addresses.

[quote name='iazybandit']If its within the US, I actually dont care if I ship to a different address. If something does go wrong, I can just file for mail fraud. Does the email address on eBay match the one from PayPal?

So as long the shipping is still within the US, you can still file a claim..just not with PayPal. But thats me. Thats how I would handle it. Some people arent as risky and will ONLY ship to confirmed addresses.[/QUOTE]

A mail fraud claim is unlikely to get any of your money back however. Am I wrong on this?

However, I also ship to unconfirmed addresses for most things I sell.

I can think of quite a few reasons for him wanting to do this too. An out of state college student using parent's paypal address for one.

mail fraud won't really recover your money.

Just follow seller protection and it really doesnt matter whats going on with the account. Youve already said the address is confirmed, so send it there within 7 days and have an online-viewable tracking and you'll be fine

Dave

[quote name='wubb']A mail fraud claim is unlikely to get any of your money back however. Am I wrong on this?

However, I also ship to unconfirmed addresses for most things I sell.[/QUOTE]
If you have enough proof (shipment of item, tracking, address of buyer, etc.) you'll probably get your money. They will send a letter to buyer stating that if payment is not sent or item is not returned, legal actions will be taken (taken to court).

Filed for mail fraud twice (both cases were in the US) and both either sent me back item or money. They also send you a copy of the letter that was sent to them as well as a questionaire

How'd you file the complaint? I filed once using the online form and never heard another peep about it. I guess that's not the best method to use if you want real action to be taken.

[quote name='wubb']How'd you file the complaint? I filed once using the online form and never heard another peep about it. I guess that's not the best method to use if you want real action to be taken.[/QUOTE]
Its been awhile, but I think I did the snail mail way. Online is quick but you never get a response and they probably overlook it. If you mail it in, you can also include print outs of emails, copy of receipt/tracking number and any other proof needed.

[quote name='iazybandit']Its been awhile, but I think I did the snail mail way. Online is quick but you never get a response and they probably overlook it. If you mail it in, you can also include print outs of emails, copy of receipt/tracking number and any other proof needed.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to remember to file that way if it ever comes up again.

TXL - It is a federal offense and I believe a felony so if the scammer were actually convicted it would be a hell of a black mark on his record. I'd imagine many scammers (especially small timers) crap themselves when they get the official letter that they are being investigated.

[quote name='wubb']I'll have to remember to file that way if it ever comes up again.

TXL - It is a federal offense and I believe a felony so if the scammer were actually convicted it would be a hell of a black mark on his record. I'd imagine many scammers (especially small timers) crap themselves when they get the official letter that they are being investigated.[/QUOTE]
Yes it is a federal offense because you're using the government (Post Office) to rip and scam people. Unfortunately, I didnt scan the letter to show how it looks. Maybe next time I will..hopefully I dont have to go through this again.

BTW, it doesnt matter the amount. First one was $35 and the other was like $200. But people sent the money once they received that letter. In my link, is my mail fraud faq. Just follow those instructions and you'll be set.

bread's done
Back