Apocalypse Now 2-disc $9.99 Best Buy

[quote name='genfuyung']Does this have both versions of the films or just one?[/QUOTE]

Should be both versions. I believe that the third disc not included in this particular package only contains the Hearts of Darkness documentary.

Hearts of Darkness is arguably better than Apocalypse Now - this coming from someone who has Redux as one of their top 10 favorite movies ever made. Hearts of Darkness is an absolutely astonishing documentary.

[quote name='Arakias']Alice in Wonderland blu for $20 and there is a $10 Disney coupon for it as well (printable). on Tuesday[/QUOTE]

We know, we know.

M

My local pawn shop has Alice in Wonderland for blu, I could get it probably $5 or so but that movie just never seemed like it'd appeal to me, even though I like Burton and Depp.

With that said, my AN is ready for pick up :applause: I'll have to swing by tomorrow during lunch.

[quote name='mr_bungle']My local pawn shop has Alice in Wonderland for blu, I could get it probably $5 or so but that movie just never seemed like it'd appeal to me, even though I like Burton and Depp.

With that said, my AN is ready for pick up :applause: I'll have to swing by tomorrow during lunch.[/QUOTE]

They're talking about the Disney cartoon one that is coming out on Tuesday, not the live action one that Disney did a year or so ago. $10 coupon is jakked up on it as most everyone is getting the message that they already printed it the maximum # of times.

[quote name='dashrendar']Are these prices in-store also or just online only?[/QUOTE]

If they're not in store, tell them it's 9.99 on their website and they should price match. Or just do in store pickup.

Huh, interesting. I just went to Amazon to see if they had price-matched this, and they don't have the two-disc edition available for sale -- it can only be ordered through third-party sellers. The three-disc edition is available directly from Amazon. Has this two-disc edition gone out of print? I would have expected it to be the other way around, if anything.

[quote name='arcane93']Huh, interesting. I just went to Amazon to see if they had price-matched this, and they don't have the two-disc edition available for sale -- it can only be ordered through third-party sellers. The three-disc edition is available directly from Amazon. Has this two-disc edition gone out of print? I would have expected it to be the other way around, if anything.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. It's kind of odd. I did my in-store pickup but if they have any on the shelves I'll just get it and cancel the IS pickup. At my BB it would take longer for them to go in the back and hunt it than it would to just go get it myself.

Grabbed what I'm pretty sure was the last copy at my local store. It wasn't even where it was supposed to be on the shelf, I found it randomly in the middle of the DVDs. I had been just about to give up looking too. I'd suggest that if you want this, you get to a store soon, because it looks like this is a pretty popular one, and my experience in the past has been that Best Buy is pretty bad about actually restocking these sales.

[quote name='SLeeK719']It's in store[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation. Might head over tomorrow if I have some free time.

I was going to go today and it seems the price has jumped to 12.99. I'll still probably go though

How good is this movie? I've been reading up on it, and the war aspect has me intrigued. It's apparently one of the best war movies ever made. Is it violent, lots of action or?

It will ring up $12.99 in store. It is $9.99 online. Just politely inform the cashier of the online price. They should match it on the spot or double check it. When I went today, the cashier said I was the third one to get it and ask for the $9.99 price. I got the second to the last AN.

[quote name='Rafael122']How good is this movie? I've been reading up on it, and the war aspect has me intrigued. It's apparently one of the best war movies ever made. Is it violent, lots of action or?[/QUOTE]

Oh, if you've never seen it...do so. Is it violent? Yes. Lots of action? In parts.

However, it's a character piece, it delves into some madness too. I blind bought this movie a few years back when it was in the complete dossier version, and I was hooked within a few minutes. At 9.99, it's probably worth it just for the fantastic transfer I keep hearing about.

[quote name='Rafael122']How good is this movie? I've been reading up on it, and the war aspect has me intrigued. It's apparently one of the best war movies ever made. Is it violent, lots of action or?[/QUOTE]

This is not a movie about war. It takes place within the context of a war, and it features a few battles, but it is not about war - almost at all. In a literal sense, it's about a man hired by his government on a black ops mission to hunt down and murder a high-ranking officer who went AWOL during the Vietnam conflict. As he pores over the information he has on the missing officer and comes closer and closer to finding him, the film uses the protagonist's narrative to illustrate his understanding of the psychology of the antagonist and the sort of epiphanies the protagonist has about war's effect on the soldier and on his own growing sense of sympathy for the antagonist. It is dark, moody, atmospheric, and arguably slow, but inarguably utterly engrossing.

This film is fucking amazing.

[quote name='supershammy']This is not a movie about war. It takes place within the context of a war, and it features a few battles, but it is not about war - almost at all. In a literal sense, it's about a man hired by his government on a black ops mission to hunt down and murder a high-ranking officer who went AWOL during the Vietnam conflict. As he pores over the information he has on the missing officer and comes closer and closer to finding him, the film uses the protagonist's narrative to illustrate his understanding of the psychology of the antagonist and the sort of epiphanies the protagonist has about war's effect on the soldier and on his own growing sense of sympathy for the antagonist. It is dark, moody, atmospheric, and arguably slow, but inarguably utterly engrossing.

This film is fucking amazing.[/QUOTE]

Well said! I agree with everything!

[quote name='rpnguyen']So what am I missing out on if I buy this 2-disc version instead of the 3-disc version?
Just special features and such?[/QUOTE]

The third disc of the three-disc set contains a feature-length documentary about the making of the film titled Hearts of Darkness. It's an excellent documentary, one that is considered a great film in and of itself, and I really wish that they had included it on the second disc and skipped some of the other special features instead (I'll probably never get around to watching those other random special features, but I almost certainly would have watched the documentary again). That being said . . . When it came down to it, with the huge price difference between this deal on the two-disc version and the best price I've seen for the three-disc set ($9.99 for this, versus $29.99 for the three-disc in Amazon's Black Friday sale), I just couldn't justify that much extra cost for the documentary. Netflix has it (albeit on DVD, not on blu-ray) if I really feel the need to see it again.

The three-disc version also comes with a booklet, and is packaged in a box that's larger than a normal blu-ray case (it's about the height of a DVD case, and the width of two or so blu-ray cases). The size of the packaging was another strike against it for me, as it would fit awkwardly on my blu-ray shelf.

[quote name='supershammy']This is not a movie about war. It takes place within the context of a war, and it features a few battles, but it is not about war - almost at all. In a literal sense, it's about a man hired by his government on a black ops mission to hunt down and murder a high-ranking officer who went AWOL during the Vietnam conflict. As he pores over the information he has on the missing officer and comes closer and closer to finding him, the film uses the protagonist's narrative to illustrate his understanding of the psychology of the antagonist and the sort of epiphanies the protagonist has about war's effect on the soldier and on his own growing sense of sympathy for the antagonist. It is dark, moody, atmospheric, and arguably slow, but inarguably utterly engrossing.

This film is fucking amazing.[/QUOTE]And craziest of all i can't even remember the ending. . . But I do love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Damn, sucks I missed the $9.99 price. The website is up to the in-store $12.99 price.

I still ordered it for $12.99. I'll try to go later today and pick this up along with Alice in Wonderland.

bread's done
Back