Apple ipad

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=50460

Just found this posted in an iPad thread over at Mobile Read. An iPad version of a file manager program for the iPhone/iTouch.

Hmm, if there's decent third party apps that do file management, the first gen iPad will get more tempting. At least if you can click on files in the app and choose what app to open it etc. Not as idea as having a built in file system, an "open" menu to browse for files in each app etc. But I could probably deal with it.

I really want a tablet and early specs on Android tablets are putting battery life in the 5-6 hour range, early prototypes look thicker and a lot less sleek than the iPad etc. so I'm skeptical I'll find a tablet that's as good as the iPad on those fronts. So it's a matter of whether the software/OS is a big enough step forward to sacrifice those features.

[quote name='xycury']Can you copy/import the book as a different book, then change it like you did under the info?

I would guess that iTunes copied the pic and it's in the database. You will have to make it look like a different book to do so.[/QUOTE]

I tried a name change but that didn't do anything :[

Ugh, this sucks. I want my other cover.

And goodreader just stores files for you to look at...correct? No editing, annotating, etc?

I can see it now, 6pm saturday evening, walking down the street with an ipad, passing by smokey's bar, all of a sudden 5 thugs pop up behind you, wack you over the head and run off with your $700 toy.

Lol, I just can see that happening to someone. Be careful guys.

No they use your $700 toy to smack you over the head and then run off. That or strangle you with your "please mug me" white headphones draped on your head.

My simplified review after playing around with my girlfriend's some more.

It's a fantastic media consumption device. Outstanding for reading newspapers, comics, books, surfing the net (reading, not forum posting or other typing intensive tasks), watching streaming video etc. I'd much rather use it for that stuff that my laptop as the form factor is just better for doing that stuff on the couch, in bed, at the breakfast table (read the news this morning etc.).

It's a bit lacking as a productivity tool to use for work, research etc. It's do able, but it really needs a full file management system, easier/more consistent drag and drop options for loading files (even if it has to be in iTunes). I'd also like a screen an inch or two bigger as that would make a lot of difference for PDFs, word docs etc. in portrait mode.

But it's a damn slick device. If it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper I'd buy one right now for sure. But as is I'd rather wait and see what comes out in the 2nd gen, Android tablets etc. to see if I can get something that comes close to matching it's media consumption abilitites, battery life, form factor etc. that is also more robust in terms of file management, productivity software etc. (i.e. something a tad more closer to a computer).

[quote name='dmaul1114']For PDFs the effort isn't horrendous at all. It's just drag and drop in iTunes, and within the Goodreader program I believe you can have folders etc.

It's not ideal, but it's not horrendous. I'm used to drag and drop from within iTunes for my Nano, and withing Creative Media Explorer for my Vision M: MP3 Player

For photos it is pretty bad for sure as the sych method sucks for that IMO. If they made it drag and drop in iTunes like it is for PDFs in Goodreader I'd have no issues.[/QUOTE]

that's the problem right there... sigh, how many computers do I need to have iTunes installed? You can argue that if you're not at home, just e-mail yourself the pdf and then you can do the transfer when you're home. Well, it's still horrendous comparing to USB to computer and transfer...

and pictures... sigh, i don't even want to go there, my PSP Go is way simpler to manage pictures than my Touch.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
But it's a damn slick device. If it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper I'd buy one right now for sure. But as is I'd rather wait and see what comes out in the 2nd gen, Android tablets etc. to see if I can get something that comes close to matching it's media consumption abilitites, battery life, form factor etc. that is also more robust in terms of file management, productivity software etc. (i.e. something a tad more closer to a computer).[/QUOTE]

Slick, i agree, i don't like Apple, but yes, i admire them for making slick, sexy devices.

Couple hundred bucks cheaper? :lol: it's $500, couple hundred cheaper is not gonna happen. I know what you mean, just joking. I think i have no problem paying $300-$350 the basic iPad model. $500 is asking too much for something don't suppose multitasking and no flash surfing.

I have to say, Apple products are multi-language friendly. Entering Chinese is so natural, it blows everything else out of water (traditional and simplified).

My Kindle doesn't do Chinese (duh) and I was contemplating a Chinese e-reader (there's an international "Kindle" in the work). Now, with the iPad, i probably don't need to waste that money.

The multitasking feature will be available, so that's good news. However, the flash support part is not going to happen.

So, until then, i'm keeping a close eye on the Notion Ink Adam (the screen can be put into low-power electrophoretic reflective mode, which makes the battery life comparable to the e-ink e-readers).

[quote name='Serpentor']Slick, i agree, i don't like Apple, but yes, i admire them for making slick, sexy devices.

Couple hundred bucks cheaper? :lol: it's $500, couple hundred cheaper is not gonna happen. I know what you mean, just joking. I think i have no problem paying $300-$350 the basic iPad model. $500 is asking too much for something don't suppose multitasking and no flash surfing.

I have to say, Apple products are multi-language friendly. Entering Chinese is so natural, it blows everything else out of water (traditional and simplified).

My Kindle doesn't do Chinese (duh) and I was contemplating a Chinese e-reader (there's an international "Kindle" in the work). Now, with the iPad, i probably don't need to waste that money.

The multitasking feature will be available, so that's good news. However, the flash support part is not going to happen.

So, until then, i'm keeping a close eye on the Notion Ink Adam (the screen can be put into low-power electrophoretic reflective mode, which makes the battery life comparable to the e-ink e-readers).[/QUOTE]

Yea apple is good with Asian language support. That was a problem with just about every mp3 player I used aside from the ipod

[quote name='Serpentor']that's the problem right there... sigh, how many computers do I need to have iTunes installed? You can argue that if you're not at home, just e-mail yourself the pdf and then you can do the transfer when you're home. Well, it's still horrendous comparing to USB to computer and transfer...

and pictures... sigh, i don't even want to go there, my PSP Go is way simpler to manage pictures than my Touch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not ideal. I only have my work laptop and my work desktop and have iTunes on both for music already, so that's not a problem. The interface just needs work for things other than music.

Some is ok like Goodreader and other apps that show up with a file sharing spot in iTunes when you plug in the iPad and then can just drag and drop, others like photos are a pain since synching is the only way.

[quote name='Serpentor']Slick, i agree, i don't like Apple, but yes, i admire them for making slick, sexy devices.
[/quote]

To be clear, I was meaning the interface is slick. It's just a great device for reading, web browsing, watching streaming video etc. Great screen, touch navigation is super responsive, and the pinch zoom is awesome, especially for reading stuff on the web.

Even $100 less would probably do it for me. $500 for the 32GB and I'd probably take the plunge.

Based on past apple products, I'm guessing that the 2nd gen will drop the 16 GB model and put the 32 at $500, so I'll buy one then unless and some other tablet comes out that impresses me more before then.

The more I look at Air Share HD the more it looks up your alley, Dmaul.

EDIT...after doing some digging, it seems the only difference between Goodreader and Air Share is Air Share allows you to open files in Pages or Keynote and print from the app.

Not worth the extra 9.00 IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Best Buy this morning thought I'd get a 32GB. they had lots of 16GB and a few 64GB units they sold out of the 32GB before I got there. They had been open for about 9 minutes. Decide to get the 16GB, if I end up needing more storage I wait till the next revision I guessing by then they'll add a camera. Syncing now I'll start playing with it tonight I going to Iowa for work next week so I'll take it with me on the trip need to find a case.

[quote name='seanr1221']The more I look at Air Share HD the more it looks up your alley, Dmaul.

EDIT...after doing some digging, it seems the only difference between Goodreader and Air Share is Air Share allows you to open files in Pages or Keynote and print from the app.

Not worth the extra 9.00 IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no sharing app will fix my gripes really. I don't mind dragging and dropping in iTunes that much. I mind having to drag PDFs to each PDF reading program etc. vs. having a central location for all user files so that all apps can look their for files they can open etc.

Hopefully they'll resolve than in the 2nd Gen iPad, a future OS update etc. We'll never get a full file systems on the iPad, but maybe we'll at least get a central file location for documents like their is for music and photos as a workable (for me anyway) compromise.

If not, maybe an Android based tablet will end up suiting my needs/preferences more.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

To be clear, I was meaning the interface is slick. It's just a great device for reading, web browsing, watching streaming video etc. Great screen, touch navigation is super responsive, and the pinch zoom is awesome, especially for reading stuff on the web.

Even $100 less would probably do it for me. $500 for the 32GB and I'd probably take the plunge.

Based on past apple products, I'm guessing that the 2nd gen will drop the 16 GB model and put the 32 at $500, so I'll buy one then unless and some other tablet comes out that impresses me more before then.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, my "slick and sexy" compliment applies to the interface as well. It did took me a little while to learn the ZOOM finger command (sorry man, it didn't come with the manual and when i try to read it on-line using the Touch, the text was too small :lol:).

I have no problem paying $350 for the 16gb iPad. If you think 16gb is low, then 32 or 64 is not going to help you much.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, no sharing app will fix my gripes really. I don't mind dragging and dropping in iTunes that much. I mind having to drag PDFs to each PDF reading program etc. vs. having a central location for all user files so that all apps can look their for files they can open etc.

Hopefully they'll resolve than in the 2nd Gen iPad, a future OS update etc. We'll never get a full file systems on the iPad, but maybe we'll at least get a central file location for documents like their is for music and photos as a workable (for me anyway) compromise.

If not, maybe an Android based tablet will end up suiting my needs/preferences more.[/QUOTE]

That, i can't tolerate... i'm already lost when you guys talking about different apps for PDFs. And now this? No way... How the hell you suppose to know or remember this PDF is best for this app and that PDF is best to be opened with that app, oyi...

[quote name='Serpentor']I have no problem paying $350 for the 16gb iPad. If you think 16gb is low, then 32 or 64 is not going to help you much.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't agree with that. 32 GB is twice as much and 64 is 4 times as much. Those are pretty significant differences in space.

One can look at the content they'd put on it and decide how much space they need. 16 GB would be fine for someone not putting any music or movies on it probably as apps, e-books, documents don't take up much space. Maybe if someone has a ton of PDfs that are 5-10 MB apiece they'd need a bigger storage model.

And then the larger capacities are there for people who want to put all their music, or a bunch of ripped movies etc. on it.

[quote name='Serpentor']That, i can't tolerate... i'm already lost when you guys talking about different apps for PDFs. And now this? No way... How the hell you suppose to know or remember this PDF is best for this app and that PDF is best to be opened with that app, oyi...[/QUOTE]

To be fair, most can probably get by with one PDF APP.

If you just need to read, then Goodreader is all you'd need. If you want to read and mark up the documents (highlight etc.), then iAnnotate is the way to go--though I've seen mixed reviews on that one.

But it would still be better to just be able to put the docs in a central location that say both Goodreader and iAnnotate could open them from in case you preferred reading in Goodreader and needed iAnnotate to mark up documents to send back to the PC to print out or e-mail to a colleague etc.

iAnnotate just got even better. The page refresh rate is MUCH better (checked out my 120 page PDF to be sure) and I can tab up a ton of articles now. Awesome.

I'm going to go against the grain and say I don't like Goodreader and Im glad it only set me back .99.

It wouldn't even open my one power point and all it had in it was text! I'm not sure if it was because it was a .pptx.

I tried my friends Air Share HD and it was a lot better, so I downloaded that.

Plus being able to wirelessly print is pretty cool.

those of you who have had one for a bit now, could you talk more about the portability/transportation of the ipad.
i leave my phone in my pant or jacket pocket, but i never carry a bag/backpack/suitcase, so I can't wrap my head around how I would be taking the ipad with me on the go.

You need a backpack/briefcase for sure. It would be a pain to carry around.

It's thinner and lighter than a laptop/netbook so it's much more portable in a bag/briefcase. But of course no tablet device is going to fit in your pants or jacket pocket like a smarthphone.

I always have a brief case/attache bag when I'm going back and forth from office and home so I'd have no issues with an iPad or other device. And it's not something I'd really use outside of the home and office anyway, other than when traveling.

I am a complete newbie to Apple products (actually I'm not much of a technology guy period), would appreciate some help. Got an ipad for my b/day gift, though I haven't received it from the shipper yet. Just had a few questions:

1. I'm not sure what kind of operating system the ipad uses, is it like other Apple Mac computers where people say they don't need antivirus software? or is it like a PC where you are supposed to get some kind of internet security program for it for safer browsing etc? also can I download firefox browser to use on it or am I stuck with the browser they give with it?

2. I know it cost my friend a fair amount of money and so I want to be gentle with it... so what is the best kind of protector or jacket for the ipad? It would be nice to have something that protects the screen from dirt, and the outside from falling on the ground or other potential damaging incidents...

Thanks for any input.

1. It uses the same OS as the iPhone/iPod touch. Not much if any risk of viruses, and as far as I know there are no anti-virus Apps in the app store.

2. More options will roll out, but for now the official Apple case seems the best bet My girlfriend bought it, I think it's a solid case. But like all Apple accessories it's overprice at $39.99.

So if you try to open a pdf in iAnnotate through another app (such as air share) you cannot underline and highlight.

I emailed iAnnotate about it, and they told me the pdf has to be processed by Aji Reader on your computer. However, in the 1.1 iAnnotate update coming out, the app will do the processing.

[quote name='CENNY']
2. I know it cost my friend a fair amount of money and so I want to be gentle with it... so what is the best kind of protector or jacket for the ipad? It would be nice to have something that protects the screen from dirt, and the outside from falling on the ground or other potential damaging incidents...

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

I have the apple case and really like it. It's very sleek and fits very snug. It also can be used as a stand. The only thing is, it is very difficult to take on and off so its something you pretty much want to always leave on. It also cannot be put in the dock with the case on. You really don't need the dock at all though if you haven't got one.

Yeah, the other thing that bugs me about the Apple case is with the way it sticks out around the edges it makes getting to the volume buttons etc. a bit awkward. Not terribly so, but the case is in the way.

Annoyed me watching shows on the ABC app as the commercials were loud so I was turning it up and down a lot and the case was in the way a bit.

That aside, it's a nice case. Just shouldn't be $40 for what it is. But from what I've googled, it seems to be the best option right now.

yea the apple case is the best, to bad it's impossible to find Atm. Apple told me they won't be getting anymore in for at least 3 weeks, which doesn't help me right now, I hear that $60 incase one that apple sells is also very nice and in stock at the apple store, but besides that there really aren't many options out there yet.

[quote name='Prepster']yea the apple case is the best, to bad it's impossible to find Atm. Apple told me they won't be getting anymore in for at least 3 weeks, which doesn't help me right now, I hear that $60 incase one that apple sells is also very nice and in stock at the apple store, but besides that there really aren't many options out there yet.[/QUOTE]

those edges on the apple case are a deal breaker for me. Incase has like 5 different cases, which one was 60 bucks? The convertible?
http://goincase.com/products/detail/CL57512/6

Well, everything was going fine until my iPad won't connect to the internet today. It says I have full WiFi signal and I'm connected to the same network my laptop is on, but I am unable to do ANYTHING on the iPad. Also, picking up WiFi at school is extremely hit or miss, whereas my iPhone and laptop find it without any problems. This is some bullshit.

I'd try to exchange it at the Apple store.

Other's having wifi issues on other sites have and had good results. Sounds like there might be an issue with bad wifi cards in some iPads.

It could also just be a router issue. My girlfriends drops out some at her place--but our laptops drop out their as well. It's a small place, so it's just the crappy D link router she has.

No issues with my Linksys router when she has it over here.

OT: Is that the same girlfriend you had before moving dmaul? Do you work at the same university or far away? I'm just wondering why you don't just live together already.

[quote name='SpazX']OT: Is that the same girlfriend you had before moving dmaul? Do you work at the same university or far away? I'm just wondering why you don't just live together already.[/QUOTE]

I'll respond with a PM to not clutter up this thread with OT stuff.

Had BB credit so I picked up the wireless keyboard. So far so good, I like the extra screen space you get from using it.

I'll see if it will make writing notes in class easier.

I dunno why people buy 1st gen of things like this iPad. There is of course going to be bugs, as well as an abscence of features on something you're going to want to upgrade later on anyway. That's hundreds of dollars that could have gone to savings or something more useful (like a washing machine at that price.)

Ok, I can't get Goodreader to connect to my computer for the life of me.

Air Share HD works fine when I put the IP address into finder, so I'm not sure what the issue with Goodreader is...

EDIT - nevermind, must have been giving me a bad IP.

Anyone know what the best way to keep the screen clean is? Can you just use regular wipes for eye glasses or PC monitors, or something like that?

Just saw that the pre-ordered 3g models are supposed to be delivered on April 30. Looking forward to finally getting mine but want to ask, do any of you guys use a screen protector on your ipads? I was considering ordering the ZAGG one for around $30 as I have liked their stuff in the past, but already received my Apple case for it and am wondering if that alone will be enough screen protection.

Also, any must have accessories? I have some RZ points at Best Buy I wouldn't mind converting and using on accessories, but want to know which, if any, are really the most essential. The one I was looking at the most was the keyboard with dock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the case would be enough, the screen is scratch resistant. Maybe some of the protectors would cut down on glare or finger prints a tad bit though.

[quote name='TheCapn010']I dunno why people buy 1st gen of things like this iPad. There is of course going to be bugs, as well as an abscence of features on something you're going to want to upgrade later on anyway. That's hundreds of dollars that could have gone to savings or something more useful (like a washing machine at that price.)[/QUOTE]

Maybe because they want one and can afford it?

bread's done
Back