Apple ipad

I was reading the other day that some schools are banning ipads because of something with the way it handles DHCP. It also said that Israel has outright banned ipads, which is pretty bizarre.

[quote name='JolietJake']I was reading the other day that some schools are banning ipads because of something with the way it handles DHCP. It also said that Israel has outright banned ipads, which is pretty bizarre.[/QUOTE]

Like what?

Are they grabbing a new address everytime they switch out to a new application that would use Wifi?

Only thing I could think of....

It was something to do with the Wifi single being too strong--at least with Israel. It was above their limits, and they banned it as they don't want it to interfere with other devices.

They, and a lot of Europe etc. have lower power allowances on Wifi than we do in the US.

Need some help here. I have had my ipad for a few weeks, today my g/f was surfing some site on it and then suddenly got a popup that basically said "you may have a virus! use Microsoft Security Assessment Tool for free online!", to which I chose OK... then it took me to a screen that looked like some kind of computer settings page and it had a bar that supposedly counted "trojans" and the number kept going up. I didn't like the look of this so I closed the all internet windows and went back the the ipad main menu.

So is my ipad infected or is this some kind of fakeout? I looked for the MS Security Assessment tool on the apps store, but it doesn't seem to exist for ipad. I actually couldn't find any kind of internet security program for ipad. What should I do? I'm worried because I do all my banking and other important stuff on it, I don't want anybody stealing the passwords I input in ipad... Thanks for any help.

More than likely, it was just a website set up to look like a malware scanner. Their goal was to get you to click on their links and then download some actual malware. It didn't actually do anything to you.

[quote name='CENNY']Need some help here. I have had my ipad for a few weeks, today my g/f was surfing some site on it and then suddenly got a popup that basically said "you may have a virus! use Microsoft Security Assessment Tool for free online!", to which I chose OK... then it took me to a screen that looked like some kind of computer settings page and it had a bar that supposedly counted "trojans" and the number kept going up. I didn't like the look of this so I closed the all internet windows and went back the the ipad main menu.

So is my ipad infected or is this some kind of fakeout? I looked for the MS Security Assessment tool on the apps store, but it doesn't seem to exist for ipad. I actually couldn't find any kind of internet security program for ipad. What should I do? I'm worried because I do all my banking and other important stuff on it, I don't want anybody stealing the passwords I input in ipad... Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but I lol'd.

You have nothing to worry about though.

Yeah, just a website fakeout. The iPad web browsers can't run scripts or download anything, so you can't get any viruses from surfing on it.

Viruses on OSX are pretty rare, and the iPad runs the iPhone OS, and as far as I know there are no viruses for that OS period.

And here I thought the iPad was overpriced......

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/14/gold-and-diamond-ipad-could-be-yours-for-190000/?hpt=C2

[quote name='CNN']
Got an extra $190,000?

Then you could have an Apple product that you REALLY don't want to leave behind at a California beer hall.

Stuart Hughes, a British company that bills itself as a purveyor of "ultimate luxury," is offering a 22-carat gold iPad encrusted with more than 25 carats of flawless diamonds (including a diamond Apple logo).

The company has made 10 copies of their Gold iPad Supreme.

"This most luxurious iPad's appearance is outstanding even down to the precise polishing to reveal its most beautiful harmonious appearance," the company's website says in a curiously worded sales pitch.

The tablet computer costs 129,995 British pounds - roughly $190,000, depending on the exchange rate at the moment. No word on whether that price include personal hand delivery by Steve Jobs.

And, for the record, Stuart Hughes shelled out the extra $300 or so to get the top-of-the-line 3G, 64GB version. You know ... ultimate luxury and all.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/05/31ipad.html

Two million sold in less than 60 days. Pretty impressive. I'm still not very tempted, but hope it keep selling well as I really want a tablet and it's success will keep them coming. There's already been a few announced in recent days by Asus and some other companies. So hopefully I'll get the tablet with a letter sized (or close) screen that I want in the next year or so.

Well I will get my hands on one as soon as Apple ships it. It is a gift but I will get to test it out for a bit

[quote name='dmaul1114']http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/05/31ipad.html

Two million sold in less than 60 days. Pretty impressive. I'm still not very tempted, but hope it keep selling well as I really want a tablet and it's success will keep them coming. There's already been a few announced in recent days by Asus and some other companies. So hopefully I'll get the tablet with a letter sized (or close) screen that I want in the next year or so.[/QUOTE]

Same here... I'd love to get tablet that isn't apple made...

I really like Pulse so far.

Pros
- Keeps feeds organized
- Very slick interface

Cons
- Only room for 20 feeds
- No ability to tag favorite articles

I emailed the team my complaints and they already emailed me back. Hopefully they get patched in.

[quote name='seanr1221']I really like Pulse so far.

Pros
- Keeps feeds organized
- Very slick interface

Cons
- Only room for 20 feeds
- No ability to tag favorite articles

I emailed the team my complaints and they already emailed me back. Hopefully they get patched in.[/QUOTE]

Hey that's great news... though I wish the store was a bit more open.

I don't see that being an Apple issue--seems Jobs liked the App and was fine with it in the App store. But had to pull it under pressure of lawsuit from the NYT.

Pulse is just a news aggregator--just like the lame blog sites that just post summaries of other site's content with links.

There is an issue with copyrights etc. there that hasn't really been resolved with apps like this, or the blog sites that just summarize other sources news etc. Providing links to the original content has staved off copyright infringement lawsuits thus far, but still leaves the problem that most people don't click through.

People, especially younger people, are just to busy/lazy to stay informed by reading multiple news papers etc. and just read blurbs on blogs that aggregate things. Thus the blogs get add revenue from simply plagiarizing other's reporting and the newspaper, magazine etc. sites lose ad revenue as less people visit and stick with the blog/aggregator sites.

It's a hot topic lately on more than just the iPad with government talks of some tax on such aggregation sites to be distributed to the media sites generating the original stories etc. See thread on it in the vs. forum.

Possibly, and maybe that's what will happen.

I do think this is different than the news aggregator sites as content creators like the NY Times can simply just not put out RSS feeds if they don't want people reading their news that way vs. coming to the site and generating ad views. Vs. having no way on their end to stop blog sites from plagiarizing their stories and providing a link to them.

If you guys had your choice between an iPad or an iPod touch, which would you go with? I have neither. I have a gift card to the apple store, so I can basically get a 32GB refurbed touch for $70, or a 32gb iPad for about $400.

Edit: I own a zune, so I wouldn't care about the music portion of this device.

I'd go iPad then, since you're music need is covered.

The iPad touch screen is too small for any serious web browsing, reading, etc. It's one of those things where it's neat to have those functions with you on your music player--but you won't buy the device for those functions.

So if you're wanting an e-reader for books, magazines, comics etc. and a web tablet, iPad is a no brainer over the iPod touch IMO.

iPhone is not an option. I can't justify the service cost per month.

It's mainly for web use, games, e-reading. I will develop for either the touch or the ipad either way.

Definitely iPad then (or wait for another tablet from Google etc.--lots coming out this year).

You'll want the bigger screen for e-reading, web use etc. if that's your main use for the device.

See, that's the other thing here. I can get a non-tablet netbook for basically the same out of pocket cost as the iPad.

My other option is to buy a mac mini, then emulate on that until the "next" iPad comes out.

Oy.

Last question. Maybe.

16 or 32 GB? I will have zero music on the iPad. It will be mostly apps/netflix.

[quote name='mtxbass1']If you guys had your choice between an iPad or an iPod touch, which would you go with? I have neither. I have a gift card to the apple store, so I can basically get a 32GB refurbed touch for $70, or a 32gb iPad for about $400.

Edit: I own a zune, so I wouldn't care about the music portion of this device.[/QUOTE]

My wife owns an iPad, so I can tell you with confidence to go with an iPad. I know people love to make fun of it being "magical", but it really is a joy to browse the internet on. The addition of netflix is also awesome. The screen quality is superb too.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
16 or 32 GB? I will have zero music on the iPad. It will be mostly apps/netflix.[/QUOTE]

Will you put movies on it? Would you object to syncing to move movies on and off the device?

If those questions are no, get the 16 GB.

[quote name='Anexanhume']My wife owns an iPad, so I can tell you with confidence to go with an iPad. I know people love to make fun of it being "magical", but it really is a joy to browse the internet on. The addition of netflix is also awesome. The screen quality is superb too.

Will you put movies on it? Would you object to syncing to move movies on and off the device?

If those questions are no, get the 16 GB.[/QUOTE]

Nope. No movies. Any movies I put on it would be from netflix only.

Yeah the problem with a netbook or laptop is the form factor sucks for reading--assuming you want to do a lot of reading on it.

I can't stand reading books, pdfs or research articles etc. on my laptop. But I'm fine reading them on my girlfriend's ipad. I can sit in a chair, the couch, laying in bed etc. and curl up and read them just like I would a real book, or printout of the PDF etc.--for the most part. Just can't do that with a bulky laptop/netbook--keyboard is in the way, it's heavy, puts out heat etc. etc.

8.5x11 pdfs are still not ideal on a 9.7" screen as you pretty much have to read 1/2 page at a time in landscape orientation to get the font big enough to read.

But even that is still better than trying to read them on my laptop or netbook--so I'm just holding out in hopes that someone will put out a tablet with a bigger screen that can better handle 8.5x11" documents in portrait orientation. But in the mean time I keep printing out PDFs of research articles as I just can't stand reading them on my desktop or laptop.

And...bought.

16gb, wifi.

I'm guessing somewhere throughout this thread someone recommended which case/accessories to get?

Yeah, apple case is solid. Only gripes I have with it are the way the edge sticks out--makes hitting the volume and orientation lock buttons a bit awkward--and the material it's made of picks up lint, dirt and smudges pretty easily.

I've seen some other cases suggested on Mobileread--but they're pricey (most are real leather) and some complain that they add too much weight. Check the Apple Device forum's on mobileread and search for ipad cases to find threads with some other cases.

Belkin grip view case is what my wife has. It is real nice, but the apple case offers a stand for propping it up, and the belkin one is pricier.

The apple case isn't much of a stand though.

It' just folds into a triangle basically with a flat bottom that can be used to stand it up. But the bottom is pretty narrow so it's not very stable so you have to be careful where you stand it (especially if you have kids or pets running around) so that it doesnt' take a dive.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Anyone have the invisible shield from ZAGG? If so, how is it?[/QUOTE]

invisibile shield is the best if your going with something to protect it from scratches, but i wouldn't bother since the glass is very durable. I got this instead to cut down on the glare:
http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/ipad-antiglare-film

It's pricey and a bit of a pain to get installed without dust bubbles, but once i figured out how to use scotch tape liberally I was able to get the screen perfect.

Cuts down on glare big time, and reduces finger smudges. Highly recommended.

Damn. So many decisions.

I went to a local store today that had a good number of ipad protectors and sleeves. Right now I'm leaning towards anything made by iLuv, either a sleeve or a back protector case.

Still can't find that camera connection kit anywhere. Hoping that when I'm on vacation this weekend, I'll be able to find one.

If you have the Apple case, I really don't think you need a screen protector.

Random question, have you guys been approached by people out in public about your iPad? At least once when I'm out, someone always asks me about it.

is the ipad basically just a bigger ipod touch? i love my touch but dont think i will be getting an ipad unless they add full flash support

[quote name='seanr1221']If you have the Apple case, I really don't think you need a screen protector.

Random question, have you guys been approached by people out in public about your iPad? At least once when I'm out, someone always asks me about it.[/QUOTE]

I don't get asked all the time when I have it in the case, set up as a stand on a table, like at Starbucks or something. I think that confuses people. But yeah, when they do notice it's an iPad, I get asked about it almost every time I'm out.

So I'm getting (actually got, to be accurate) my gf an iPad for Christmas. Any must-have apps she should download? Of course Netflix, and I found a HayHouse app on there (she loves that site). Any other recommendations?

bread's done
Back