Aquapazza (PS3) - $23.36 at Amazon .

Yep, but most normal people aren't gonna pay 60 dollars a year for that GCU service . .
No doubt, but a lot of CAGs were grandfathered in with the old subs. Heck, my first month was November right when they changed it over. Kinda glad I missed the 3 or 4 months it took them to get me activated.

Yeah, I understand that . But for those of us who missed the money train, GCU just upsets me whenever I see it because I know I will never have it .

I'm a little hesitant in getting it, but it's worth a shot if you have the money. It just looks pretty insane, but avoid it if you're not that into animu.

This game any good?
Repost from other thread, but:

The game's much slower paced than your typical airdasher - it's more like Street Fighter with flashier (yet still relatively short) combos, A-B-C attack chaining, assists, and air blocking - think Vanguard Princess, if you've ever heard of that. For what it's worth, I like the game a lot. It's probably the easiest non-Divekick fighter out there to just pick up and play. Some people might complain about the balance, and you admittedly will face lots of Chizurus and Tamakis online (NOTE: the netcode sadly isn't very good D: ), but I don't think it's as huge a deal as some make it out to be.

If you're looking for single player content though, don't expect much. The only story there is comes in the form of two pretty barebones arcade modes, not that there's much you can do with the story of a giant crossover game anyway. There's that, a simple score attack mode (I think?), and a pretty solid training mode. It's a fighting game though, you're supposed to get them for multiplayer above anything else.

I'm not ready to jump on this just yet. It's interesting but fighting games aren't my favorite genre and this is on PSN so going OOP at retail won't stop me from being able to play it.

Repost from other thread, but:
The game's much slower paced than your typical airdasher - it's more like Street Fighter with flashier (yet still relatively short) combos, A-B-C attack chaining, assists, and air blocking - think Vanguard Princess, if you've ever heard of that. For what it's worth, I like the game a lot. It's probably the easiest non-Divekick fighter out there to just pick up and play. Some people might complain about the balance, and you admittedly will face lots of Chizurus and Tamakis online (NOTE: the netcode sadly isn't very good D: ), but I don't think it's as huge a deal as some make it out to be.

If you're looking for single player content though, don't expect much. The only story there is comes in the form of two pretty barebones arcade modes, not that there's much you can do with the story of a giant crossover game anyway. There's that, a simple score attack mode (I think?), and a pretty solid training mode. It's a fighting game though, you're supposed to get them for multiplayer above anything else.
Does it have any modes in addition to the cookie cutter features? I am surprised that no fighter to date has matched the replay value in Street Fighter Alpha 3. That game had World Tour mode (you level up your fighter and equip various skills), Dramatic Battle (2v1 matches), team battle, survival, and the list goes on. Also, I already bought Vanguard Princess when it was $5 and have yet to play it - any reason to prefer this one?

Does it have any modes in addition to the cookie cutter features? I am surprised that no fighter to date has matched the replay value in Street Fighter Alpha 3. That game had World Tour mode (you level up your fighter and equip various skills), Dramatic Battle (2v1 matches), team battle, survival, and the list goes on. Also, I already bought Vanguard Princess when it was $5 and have yet to play it - any reason to prefer this one?
It has nothing in addition to the cookie cutter features, sadly - it's a barebones arcade port if there ever was one. But again, it's a fighting game - the replay value comes from fighting human opponents, not CPUs. Examu is a small company who isn't capable of all the bells and whistles that Capcom and Arcsys put into their games, so the core game (as solid as it is) is all they can manage (that, and kinda functional netcode).

If you want a fighter with lots of single player replay value, get Blazblue. It has a lengthy visual novel story mode as well as the Abyss mode (it's a lot like the World Tour mode you describe). You'll have to suffer the pain of actually playing Blazblue, though.

I admit I don't know enough about Vanguard Princess mechanically to know how much it differs from AP (I've yet to play VP against an actual human), and preferences in fighting games tend to be pretty polarizing as far as mechanics go, so I can't give an answer on those criteria. What I can say is that Aquapazza will at least work with an arcade stick. :V

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have all the Blazblues and think it's hilarious that you describe playing it a painful experience. I can't get into it at all even though I love Guilty Gear and Persona 4 Arena. Fundamentally, it's a solid game and does everything right. But the anime adaptation is great at least.

For about the same price of Aquapazza, you can get Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. It is sooo good - and it doubles as masturbatory fodder. How's that for CAG?

I actually have all the Blazblues and think it's hilarious that you describe playing it a painful experience. I can't get into it at all even though I love Guilty Gear and Persona 4 Arena. Fundamentally, it's a solid game and does everything right. But the anime adaptation is great at least.

For about the same price of Aquapazza, you can get Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. It is sooo good - and it doubles as masturbatory fodder. How's that for CAG?
How is paying $5 more "about the same price"? :???:

I actually like GG a good deal, but mechanically, BB feels like Mori (the game's director) tried to make his own Guilty Gear and completely misunderstood what made that game fun. It wasn't the excruciatingly long and difficult combos (which BB made the focus of the game in such a way that even the most basic bread and butter combos require hours of practice and still give me cramps), it was the crazy movement and airdash options that the player had at his disposal (note that movement in BB is painfully slow). P4A, while it certainly has its flaws, was at least a step in the right direction, so I liked enough.

And hey, nobody said you couldn't play both DoA and AP. I own both myself (though I've yet to play DoA - I still haven't gotten the hang of 3D fighters).

Well, it's just $5. That constitutes "about the same" in the mysterious normal world beyond the boundaries of CAG.

The art looks great, but with msrp of 30$ I'll add it to my wish list. Unfortunately I'm not gcu so gonna hold out for 15$. Hope copies are still around when it gets that low.

And hey, nobody said you couldn't play both DoA and AP. I own both myself (though I've yet to play DoA - I still haven't gotten the hang of 3D fighters).
Thanks for the input on Aquapazza. I just watched some videos and it looks like a decidedly average fighter. Frankly I'm surprised the game was even localized since fighters are pretty niche and anime fighters even more so. It looks like they went with the minimum investment of translating text and barely adequate netcode.

DOA is easy to pick up. There is a training mode called "Combo Challenge" that teaches you easy, useful combos. Just remembering two or three of them will see you through the game on the default difficulty. In 2D fighters, those challenges were always a pain because of quarter-circle movements and no input buffering. You didn't mention if you had Ultimate or the vanilla release; if the former, there's a free version on PSN - Core Fighters - that's compatible with the full game including online multiplayer, so you you can face other players new to the series. I'd get in on it sooner than later before this source of new blood dries up.

Really? It's the price of a sandwich.

Thanks for the input on Aquapazza. I just watched some videos and it looks like a decidedly average fighter.
It's fun, honest! ;___;

And they actually did put in effort with the netcode - pretty much the entire reason we got the game over here was to fund a new netcode patch for the JP release, which had even worse netplay.

DOA is easy to pick up. There is a training mode called "Combo Challenge" that teaches you easy, useful combos. Just remembering two or three of them will see you through the game on the default difficulty. In 2D fighters, those challenges were always a pain because of quarter-circle movements and no input buffering. You didn't mention if you had Ultimate or the vanilla release; if the former, there's a free version on PSN - Core Fighters - that's compatible with the full game including online multiplayer, so you you can face other players new to the series. I'd get in on it sooner than later before this source of new blood dries up.
I don't have problems with the combos in 3D fighters (I stopped having trouble with quarter circles years ago, thank you very much) so much as I do the movement and dealing with the high/low/throw mixup game in 3D. I tried to learn a bit of VF5FS, but I still have trouble figuring out when I'm supposed to do quick evades or offensive moves or fuzzy guards or punishes on unsafe moves and whatnot. It doesn't help that each character has like 100 moves to wade through that I'm supposed to remember somehow. I'm just more used to thinking in 2D than I am in 3D, so I probably just need to put more time into it.

I actually downloaded Core Fighters the day of release and picked up Hitomi now that she's free, and I even bought the X360 port of Ultimate a day or two ago when it was $13. I still haven't played either, sadly - Core Fighters came out the same day Chaos Code did, and now I'm too busy leveling up my Divekick game at the moment to focus on other fighters. I'll play it eventually, maybe, honest! (´・ω・`)

bread's done
Back