Ar Tonelico 2 coming stateside

Draekon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
It's pretty much official, although not officially announced by NIS America yet. The proof is in the pudding they say and The Official Playstation Magazine all but confirms it:

Looks like it'll be here December and if that's true, expect it to be overshadowed by Persona 4. Not that it will stop it from getting sold out and hard to find though.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm looking forward to this more than I am Persona 4. I loved the first game.[/QUOTE]Same. I absolutely loved the first one big time. My favorite RPG last year. However, not sure if I'll play this much since I rarely play PS2 these days.

I could not take more then 15 minutes of the first one.....but maybe I will give it another try since its getting praise here at CAG

Did NISA do any additional bonuses for the first game if you preordered through their own site? Or will I be just as well off preordering it from Amazon?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Did NISA do any additional bonuses for the first game if you preordered through their own site? Or will I be just as well off preordering it from Amazon?[/quote]

The first print included an artbook.

The second print which you can purchase now does not include it, including the one at the Rosenqueen store.

If they include anything in Ar Tonelico 2 free with the game it will be packaged with every game. However if NIS or rather Rosenqueen decides to package extra stuff with the game, it will come at a price on top of the actual game itself. So it's pretty safe to order it from Amazon if you're not interested in throwing extra money out there for extra stuff.

EDIT: Forgot about the bonus soundtrack that eau mentioned. Which may mean they could give out an extra free thing from the RosenQueen store. However their shipping is rather high and they also charge when you place the order instead of when it ships.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryuukishi']Did NISA do any additional bonuses for the first game if you preordered through their own site? Or will I be just as well off preordering it from Amazon?[/quote]
NISA did a free bonus soundtrack for those who preordered the game at their own website. It's the same soundtrack that comes with the reprint that is currently available at their own website but it's in a sleeve instead of a jewel case with artwork.

I never finished the first one, I think I liked it okay, but I got swamped with work. I should try to run through it again. I love Gust games.

First one was meh. I hated the voice acting, story, and completely linear progression.

The graphics, music and battle system were pretty good. I'll still probably buy it so they keep localizing stuff.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Whether you like these games or not hinges on whether or not you like cute anime girls. If you do, then you'll love it.[/QUOTE]

I do, though not in a sexual way. Even so, the first game failed.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Pfft, we've already established your lack of taste long ago XD Also, trust me. You don't like anime girls the way I like anime girls...[/quote]

Is that a good or bad thing?;)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Pfft, we've already established your lack of taste long ago XD Also, trust me. You don't like anime girls the way I like anime girls...[/QUOTE]

You're the one with a lack of taste, my good friend. :p

The game has piqued my interest - I'll see if my schedule permits me time to play it.

Honestly, the game and systems within it sound a bit more involved than Persona 4. Then again, I liked Persona 3 but lost interest ~half way through.

Decisions...decisions...

[quote name='depascal22']Is that a good or bad thing?;)[/quote]
I might have to second this. Even though I might enjoy this game, if I understand what Rei's trying to say.

The whole game revolves around moe. Even the battle system. You have to protect these cute girls while they cast spells, and to get better spells you need to get closer to them personally. The story isn't anything special because it's not the important factor. Hence why I say the game is aimed directly at guys who like cute, anime girls.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Hence why I say the game is aimed directly at guys who like cute, underage anime girls.[/quote]

Fixed.

This game series excels in character development, but at the expense of story, graphics, gameplay, etc. That's not to say that any of those elements are terrible, they're just not of an epic nature. Honestly though, I found the first game refreshing due to its much simpler approach - it reminds me of a lot of the RPGs that could be found on the Saturn (like Albert Odyssey).

[quote name='thelonepig']Fixed.

This game series excels in character development, but at the expense of story, graphics, gameplay, etc. That's not to say that any of those elements are terrible, they're just not of an epic nature. Honestly though, I found the first game refreshing due to its much simpler approach - it reminds me of a lot of the RPGs that could be found on the Saturn (like Albert Odyssey).[/quote]
Couldn't help but chuckle when you changed his quote.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I don't care what you or the cops say. Those girls were legal...[/quote] We all know whose going to love Shining Dragon

[quote name='thelonepig']Fixed.

This game series excels in character development, but at the expense of story, graphics, gameplay, etc. [/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

Finally someone else puts ReiNoOtaku in his place! ;)

[quote name='willardhaven']Well my local hardware store sells perfectly good nails I can drive into my temple, so I don't have any use for another Gust game.[/QUOTE]
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Gold, Jerry, GOLD!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:applause::applause::applause:

Finally someone else puts ReiNoOtaku in his place! ;)
[/QUOTE]
But I agree with him... I said as much. The only reason you should buy this game is if you want to learn more about cute girls. For no other reason should this game be purchased. I said it multiple times.

It's officially official:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/897/897480p1.html

August 8, 2008 - If you haven't had enough of Reyvateils in your RPGs, you're in luck: the sequel to Ar Tonelico is coming to North America. NIS America has announced that Ar Tonelico 2 will be released in North America in December 2008, and will combine simulation with roleplaying elements. Set in the floating land of Metafalss, an epidemic called Infel Pira Dependency infects Reyvateils, driving them insane and eventually killing them. A young knight of the Church of Pastalia named Croix is sent to stop the plague, which makes him embark on a large adventure involving the planet of Ar Ciel and the lost Song of Metafalica.

Ar Tonelico 2 will still feature a cosmosphere, which allows players to develop their Reyvateil's by diving into their subconscious, as well as song magic and burst gauges for powerful attacks. In Ar Tonelico 2, players will also have access to a new ability known as Syncrinity, which ties song magic to two Reyvateils in your party. The closer their emotions are to being synched up, the stronger the effects of the magic. This can be affected by an emotion gauge as well, so rooting for your Reyvateils in battle is extremely important.

How has no one made any phallic jokes about metafalica? (yeah I know immature, still that's what I thought of when I saw the full name)

I'm in phase 3. I'm enjoying the game so far, but I think I liked the first one better. The gameplay is vastly improved, but I liked the characters in the first game better.

So on gamefaqs people are saying there are game freezing bugs, translation problems, and missing like half the japanese audio

It's more like a quarter of the Japanese audio, which is kind of ridiculous. There are a few grammar errors I've caught, and haven't hit any freezing.

there is a boss battle that will cause the game to freeze if you dont end in it 3 turns. People emailed NISA and got the "we are investigating this issue." reply. Hopefully they will actually do something this time

[quote name='62t']there is a boss battle that will cause the game to freeze if you dont end in it 3 turns. People emailed NISA and got the "we are investigating this issue." reply. Hopefully they will actually do something this time[/quote]
If you don't end it in 3 turns, it will keep freezing, making the game unplayable? Is the boss optional?

It's an optional boss fight. Still pretty shitty.

NISA needs to actually test their games. It's a shame a game so good is marred by this stuff.

I was thinking about getting this. Guess I wont now. The first one was okay and I wanted something new since I beat everything else I own. The glitches are a shame, but I'm glad I checked this thread first.

Is it possible to beat these bosses in 3 turns?

hmm, looks interesting. Too bad Rosenqueen is sold out of the AT1 reprint. Anyone know a good deal on this or even better the first (everywhere I'm looking prices are just plain stupid). IDK how I missed the reprint :(

did anyone purchased this game on amazon recently? i want to know if its the one with the artbook or ost whichever. is there only 1 version of this game atm?

There is one version of this game, which includes an artbook and OST bundled together similar to the first game. So if you are buying from Amazon, you'll be getting the same thing...until when NISA decides to reprint more for the game only.

The only exclusive bonus from RQ was a second OST.

Have the freezing issues been fixed yet? I was thinking of buying this game but that's a game killer for me if you can't finish it.

[quote name='eau']There is one version of this game, which includes an artbook and OST bundled together similar to the first game. So if you are buying from Amazon, you'll be getting the same thing...until when NISA decides to reprint more for the game only.

The only exclusive bonus from RQ was a second OST.[/quote]

I understood they also sent out an additional 13 or so pages of art.

[quote name='Rodster']Have the freezing issues been fixed yet? I was thinking of buying this game but that's a game killer for me if you can't finish it.[/quote]

Unless NISA fixes the problem and reprints the disc (unlikely), there will be no fix. It's a shame too as I was looking forward to having an easy, mindless, convoluted RPG featuring quirky text filled with grammatical errors.

bread's done
Back