Arc Rise Fantasia RPG Gen. Discussion & Info+new Trailer Up

Ignition isn't exactly known for going above and beyond on localizations. Muramasa was pretty minimal, and Lux Pain...yeah.

Only crappy thing for me concerning this game is the newly announced fact that Metroid is going to be releasing 10 days after it. I have both pre-ordered, and I don't really know if I can afford buying both, considering how damn packed the year has been thus far and will be in the fourth quarter. My money needs a chance to rest damnit :cry:

[quote name='Nirron']Ignition isn't exactly known for going above and beyond on localizations. Muramasa was pretty minimal, and Lux Pain...yeah.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly the point. I almost blew a coronary when they announced Ignition, whose translations are stuck in the early 90s, was taking the publishing rights from XSeed, who does excellent localizations. I was hoping they would up their low standards for this, but the new screens don't give me any hope.

[quote name='Nirron']Only crappy thing for me concerning this game is the newly announced fact that Metroid is going to be releasing 10 days after it.[/QUOTE]

I completely forgot this was a June release. For some reason I was thinking August or something like that. Damn, that 1 month stretch is going to be insane for Wii owners. Maybe I shouldn't have bought DQ5 lol.

Pre-order price @Amazon.com is $42.98, but Gamestop still has it for $39.99.

Wish Amazon would fall in line if this is really supposed to be a $39.99 MSRP title...unless GS has some kind of arrangement w/Ignition?

It very well could be a $39.99 title and Amazon just hasn't updated (hoping that's the case). They did this with Sakura Wars as well, having the Wii version listed at $50 for a long time (even quite a bit after NIS announced the Wii version of Sakura Wars would be $30). Here's hoping they PM or at least update the price soon.

For better or worse, the rest of the game sounds like I will have fun, so I'll still be getting it. Perhaps as the writer suggests, it will be bad enough to be amusing as opposed to the bland Nostalgia.

That story did not do anything to sway me from purchasing the game, but I still only plan on getting it via some kind of sale. As pete said, I do not really care about the Voicework, as I have learned to tune it out in a lot of games.

[quote name='pete5883']I'm hoping the writing itself is fine, and just the voices are lame. Subpar voicework, I can deal with.[/QUOTE]
From what the article says, it seems like the text is a direct translation of the Japanese... which might turn out okay but doesn't bode well.

Wow that is some pretty crappy voice acting. Is the japanese w/ subs going to be an option in the NA release?

[quote name='iRent'] Is the japanese w/ subs going to be an option in the NA release?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I just hope to god there is an option to turn the voices off completely. Otherwise I am not sure if I can play this game at all. Having to mute a game to enjoy it would be ridiculous.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Nope. I just hope to god there is an option to turn the voices off completely. Otherwise I am not sure if I can play this game at all. Having to mute a game to enjoy it would be ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

If they just put 1% more effort into their voice acting it would be exponentially better. I'm also skeptical if I can play this game. The game is good looking sure but as peter said: it's like a hot girl with a bad laugh...

I only watched 2 of the videos, and the acting is pretty cringey, but I don't see anything wrong with the translation... yet.

Wow, the voice acting in those videos is total crap. Sounds like the kind of voice acting you can laugh your ass off at every time you hear it.

Wow, that voice acting was so bad it made my eyeballs bleed. I think its actually worse than the sands of destruction game.

I could only get through 30 seconds of one of the cutscene videos before switching it off. I'm usually pretty forgiving when it comes to voice acting, but that was just... bad. Poor direction, no emotion, poor line reading. That kind of voice "acting" give flashbacks to the dubs of Castle Shikigami 2 and RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive.

LOL, that voice acting is terrible. It's not quite Chaos Wars terrible... but rofl.

Seriously, how the hell can companies get away with such terrible shit like this? If it's going to be this bad, include the japanese vocals at least. Then I can just cringe at the terrible translation and not have to have a heart attack listening to the voice overs.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I just hope to god there is an option to turn the voices off completely.[/QUOTE]

There better be.

Bah. I'm not sure about this game anymore. The more I see of it the less I seem to like it. Might just cancel my preorder and wait and see how cheap it gets later on.

I kind of wish that we were getting Tales of Graces instead...

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Bah. I'm not sure about this game anymore. The more I see of it the less I seem to like it. Might just cancel my preorder and wait and see how cheap it gets later on.

I kind of wish that we were getting Tales of Graces instead...[/QUOTE]

After seeing those trailers, this game is completely off my radar. Tales of Graces better damn well come out in the US. Either way, there is absolutely no reason to pay full price for this game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']What a surprise! The localization sucks donkey balls!
http://www.destructoid.com/jrpging-on-the-wii-with-arc-rise-fantasia-170215.phtml

Note to Ignition: Shitty localization is fitting and even appropriate for Deadly Premonition, but not for an animu JRPG. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

I've already been through the lousy localization adventure on Wii already -- Opoona. That localization was so sloppy some of the dialogue responses were actually incorrect to what you answered. Somehow, though, Opoona managed to be charming enough to overcome that deficiency. We can hope (I repeat, hope) that such is the case here.

Also, I didn't see this mentioned, but both Amazon and GameStop have preorder bonuses on this game. Amazon has a pack of character profile cards and GameStop has some sort of art cell.

[quote name='62t']Why cant they just hire Johnny Yong Bosh? Sure he is in like 75% of RPGs and anime ...[/QUOTE]

He costs more than picking people out of an unemployment line.

[quote name='joshofstl']I've already been through the lousy localization adventure on Wii already -- Opoona. That localization was so sloppy some of the dialogue responses were actually incorrect to what you answered. Somehow, though, Opoona managed to be charming enough to overcome that deficiency. We can hope (I repeat, hope) that such is the case here.
[/QUOTE]
Opoona didn't have voice acting though. Yes, the translation (there was no localization, really) was incredibly piss poor but at least there were no voices. So glad someone else played that game, it's excellent.

Sheesh, officially cancelling my pre-order, just gonna wait for a price drop on it. Im sure we'll see on eventually, almost everything but first-party gets dropped pretty quickly.

I guess I have to pick this up since this is almost the only rpg optin for the wii. game voices dont bother me as 90% of the time I have my mp3 player and headphones in.

A little late to the party on this one. Wow, the voice acting really is terrible. I can put up with shitty v/o but this is so bad that it makes the game unplayable. It's a shame cause everything else looks great. But if I'm forced to listen to these dronish voices for 50-some hours then I don't think I'll be playing it for too long.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Might grab it when it hits $10 like ToS2 did.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking I might as well, but I still can't help but get somewhat steamed when I see how Ignition has ruined yet another fine title with their beyond shoddy choice in voices. It may sound harsh, but the Japanese need to stop hiring them for the sake of protecting what consumers think of their games; The game is simply not enjoyable in this state.

Instead of suffering through an otherwise belting game, I would rather get around to learning Japanese and enjoy the game to its fullest. The seiyus of Japan have done this game great honor as I am sure many have heard from the trailers, and Ignition has brought North America nothing but shame.

I am however keeping my preorder to get that laser cell, and then I am shoving that game right back in the employee's hands for a refund. Well, not right away, but the day after most probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voice acting doesn't bother me too much.

Although this hits 3 week before DQIX. I'd like to beat it before that comes out. I doubt I would. Maybe I'll pick it up later.

[quote name='Draekon']http://www.gemakei.com/news.php?newsId=3314

According to that link, there's an option to turn off just the voice acting in the game. Here's hoping it's not just battle voices. Since they took the time to really make it stand out, I assume it will include all voice acting.[/QUOTE]

Please Jesus let this be true. If it is maybe I will get it when it price bombas.

Oh lulz.... According to Amazon AND Gamestop.com this has been delayed to 7/20. I'm sure they'll take that extra month to fix the translation and re-record the voice acting.... BAHAHAHAHAHAH

[quote name='Draekon']http://www.gemakei.com/news.php?newsId=3314

According to that link, there's an option to turn off just the voice acting in the game. Here's hoping it's not just battle voices. Since they took the time to really make it stand out, I assume it will include all voice acting.[/QUOTE]

Might make the game tolerable then. I definitely wouldn't get it if I have to mute it, as I'd at least like to hear the music (unless that is terrible too, but I doubt it).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Oh lulz.... According to Amazon AND Gamestop.com this has been delayed to 7/20. I'm sure they'll take that extra month to fix the translation and re-record the voice acting.... BAHAHAHAHAHAH[/QUOTE]

Good. Now I won't have to hurry to beat it to play DQIX.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Oh lulz.... According to Amazon AND Gamestop.com this has been delayed to 7/20. I'm sure they'll take that extra month to fix the translation and re-record the voice acting.... BAHAHAHAHAHAH[/QUOTE]
Heh, if only. If only.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']First review is in: 7.5 from NP. Haven't heard any details other than the score, if I find any I'll post them.[/QUOTE]
Mix of old school RPG with Tales (good), infrequent save points and terrible voice acting (bad) - two of the actors sound like non-native speakers (because they are!). I'll add some more details whenever I stop playing MH.

I got my issue of NP in the other day and didn't even see this in there.

Here's a scan for anyone interested:

ARFNPReview.jpg

LMAO @ them dedicating a third of the review to the voice acting. I guess it really is that bad. Thanks for posting.

What do they mean by non-native speakers though? I heard they did the voice acting in Japan, did they get some fucking Japanese to do it? :lol:

bread's done
Back