Arcanum/Gabriel Knight - $5.99 from GOG (Month of Activision)

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
After over a week of teasing, GOG.com reveals that classic games owned by Activision will be added to its catalog.

11cb4e4f5883715107a429261cd553ad3735b3d9.jpg

18c7be0aa1df05bd516c5fc8fc927c182bdc78eb.jpg

To kick off those releases: the RPG from Troika that brings Fallout into the realm of Steampunk & the New Orleans adventure from Sierra that's all that and a bag of gris-gris.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura $5.99

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers $5.99

So, why is this a deal? Because the closest retail price for Arcanum I can find is $17.90 from GoGamer (import version, as well) and GK1 is now available in a form combatible with modern OSs.

Look forward to more Activision/Sierra (maybe Infocom :) ) games to be announced in the month ahead.

Arcanum demo
Arcanum Metascore (81)
GK1 Mobyscore (92)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you kidding me? THese are two AWESOME games. I own Arcanum in the box and everything, but Gabe Knight is floppy only. Man, I should snag these.

I had no idea Activision owned these properties now. Sucks, because I hate Activision.

Arcanum was great. Guns in rpgs, gotta love it... and arcanum lets you build them besides. Was hoping for a sequel for a long time.

I still have the big box and 3.5 disks for gk, never played the talkie version. Game had some classic puzzles.

In for GK - this is one of my all time favorite adventure games. Good to see it finally being re-released.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes! finally! Downloading Arcanum as we speak! Never had a chance to play it but always wanted to. I have fond memories of the GK series as well, but will pick that one up later. Can't wait to see what other games are coming!

arcanum is awesome.

i already own 2 (!) copies of it boxed etc.

could anyone post that wallpaper world map artwork bonus thing they have somewhere? or PM me please

[quote name='Kelegacy']I had no idea Activision owned these properties now. Sucks, because I hate Activision.[/QUOTE]

Ever since the unholy union of ActiBlizz, Activision owns Sierra (as well as IP from Coktel Vision/Papyrus/Impressions/Dynamix/etc.etc.etc.) as well as Infocom from long before.

[quote name='vherub']I still have the big box and 3.5 disks for gk, never played the talkie version. Game had some classic puzzles.[/QUOTE]

Tim Curry is awful/awfully wonderful in this - the talkie is a must.

[quote name='nexen']I met my wife because of GK.

Hiiiiighly recommended. Music is haunting.[/QUOTE]

Considering that GOG is (oddly) not offering soundtrack for these two games, here you go:
GK1 from Quest studios
Ben Hogue's (the composer for Arcanum) website with link to mp3/lossless

Never had a chance to play the GK series. Always wanted to. This might be the best way, given GOG's lack of DRM. I hope the others are en route.

And Tim Curry is in it? That is icing on the cake on top of ice cream and Skittles.

I am beyond thrilled. I love Sierra games, and the thought of not having to work so hard to trick my computer into playing them is very exciting. I REALLY hope that the Quest for Glory series comes soon. I spend way too much time attempting to make that one work.

GK is perfect, I remember playing it way back when it was out. Tim Curry and Michael Dorn voices in it too.

Never did play Arcanum, but steampunk never really did it for me, so I'll pass.

Can't recommend GK:SOTF enough. By far the jewel of the series IMO. I got it to play thanks to emulation FAQs a few years ago but this is easier and supports the excellent GOG website. I'll probably spring for Arcanum as well since I only played it very briefly when it first came out.

GK is the first video game my wife and I played together. I still have nightmares of Tim Curry's over-the-top New Orleans accent in the game..."Graaaaaeeeeecccceeeee"

[quote name='Kelegacy']Are you kidding me? THese are two AWESOME games. I own Arcanum in the box and everything, but Gabe Knight is floppy only. Man, I should snag these.

I had no idea Activision owned these properties now. Sucks, because I hate Activision.[/QUOTE]

Concur.

Oh, and most of ECA's code don't even work. They just have them listed to make themselves feel important.

[quote name='jscme']GK is the first video game my wife and I played together. I still have nightmares of Tim Curry's over-the-top New Orleans accent in the game..."Graaaaaeeeeecccceeeee"[/QUOTE]

I used to live in NO and when I first moved there I thought I'd hear that accent a lot. I did hear it *once*. Some random construction worker guy I met in an elevator sounded just like Gabriel Knight.

The only other native accent I ever heard for the five+ years I lived there was 'yat' or some variant thereof.

I get a chuckle now listening to Curry pronounce the full 'New Orleans'. Tourist!

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Arcanum is a buggy mess with a nearly broken combat engine. Good luck![/QUOTE]
Truth. Also it is terribly ugly and unbalanced.

I still enjoyed it though.

Gabriel Knight is a must buy. Great story, atmosphere, and gameplay. Always wished for a movie. :(
"I was just tryin to refresh my memory"
"I know what you're trying to refresh, and it isn't your memory, get down"

I may bite on GK, but I already have a boxed version of Arcanum. I enjoyed that game, bugs and broken combat and all. Too bad they didn't polish it up a bit.

There are user patches for Arcanum...

Anyway, yeah, Activision has rights to Sierra stuff. Gross. They hold all the Infocom stuff hostage as well.

I was totally pumped to buy both these games, regardless. :) Hurray for GoG!

[quote name='nexen']I met my wife because of GK.[/QUOTE]
Interesting! I'd ask you to expound on that, but...nah, that'd be nosy. Nevermind.

Anyway, that's really cool about GK coming out digitally--this is a first for this game/series, correct? It might be my favorite PC game ever. I played the CD version at my grandparent's house in the '90s. I definitely agree with others on the charm of the music and voice acting, particularly Tim Curry's. I can still vividly replay some of the lines and sound effects in my head (i.e. the one that played when you solved something/uncovered a new key point through conversation). So yeah, highly recommended, but I wonder if it will stand up to the test of time?

I played through GK3, but never did get to GK2 even though I own it in the "Collection" box that included GK1 and the novel based on it.

He just walked up to his future wife and said, "Grace, if the devil had legs as great as yours, perhaps..."

Honestly, some of the supposed flirty, edgy, "adult" dialog in this game makes about as much sense as what the fat kid on the bus said to the school slut in 9th grade.

And the acting screams soundbooth. Gotta love it when the actors never even meet each other.

But, all in all, awesome, classic game. :) I am just more critical in my advanced age! The music is still just as fantastic. And I still have a crush on Leah Remini (haterz can go take a big pewp!).

[quote name='ghostmedicine']Interesting! I'd ask you to expound on that, but...nah, that'd be nosy. Nevermind.[/QUOTE]

Nothing terribly intricate. I played GK when I was younger and had never heard of New Orleans. I loved the game's depiction of the city so much that I went there for vacation and had such a great time that I moved there. Met my now-wife soon after.

I've always credited GK (and a mutual friend of ours) with the marriage. When my daughter gets older I'm going force her to play it :p

Did she tell you to get reincarnated as a pit bull? And you said, "As long as it's a male pitbull with a really big..." :)

Sorry, I'm into this whole NExen as Gabe and his wife as Grace thing.

"Could you do some research for me?"

"Sure. What?"

"I can't think of anything."

"Okay."

Ha. I'm having a great time playing this game and wishing they'd done more adventures in that era. It was really kind of the culmination of the whole formula before Roberta Williams decided FMV was the way to revive the industry... :)

Totally picking up GK. Gk and GK:The Beast Within are still my all time favorite adventure games. Never got to finish the third one though.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan'] It was really kind of the culmination of the whole formula before Roberta Williams decided FMV was the way to revive the industry... :)[/QUOTE]

DRAIN CLEANER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcDqMsuvN0

Oh, Roberta Williams. I want to have an open mic night one day, and make jokes about you, thrilling the two people in the audience who actually know what the hell it is I'm talking about.

[quote name='vherub']it would be nice if they put up a fixed copy of the king's quest collection, and followed that with collections of all the Sierra quest games.[/QUOTE]

You can get the King's Quest and Space Quest Collections from Steam. Right now they go for $19.99 each. I got them during the crazy Thanksgiving sale.

The ones on Steam aren't "fixed", tho; they're thoughtlessly shoddy (on the part of the collection makers, not Steam).

Better than nothing tho! I bought both KQ and SQ and have no idea why they didn't put Quest for Glory up as well. That would be an instant purchase for me.

I'm also hoping for an Infocom Collection. Seems like it would be too good to be true, but I'd love to get every single Infocom text adventure ever released for $10. Maybe the graphical Zorks as a bonus. I never did get to play those.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']And I still have a crush on Leah Remini (haterz can go take a big pewp!).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what's with all the hate? I would do terrible, terrible things to her. Sexually.

Oh alright, I bit on Arcanum as well as GK. Damn you, GOG, it's just too convenient not to have to pull out my CDs everytime I want to reinstall!

And for the peeps complaining about bugs, broken combat and how ugly the game is there is a high-res patch so you can run the game at any resolution, and an unofficial user-made patch that fixes almost everything else. The game looks great now!

bread's done
Back