Archiving gaming mags

Pasco

CAGiversary!
Some of us have the fortune of having the problem of overflowing collections, be they games, music, books, etc. I have read many times people "complaining" that the have too many unopened games and not enough time to play them. I'm in this group. I have also come across the problem of videogame journals. I've got shelves upon shelves and stacks upon stacks of gaming (and some non-gaming) mags. Many (normal) people read their periodical and then throw it away or put it in the recycling bin. I, however, am not what one would call normal. I've been keeping them, in the rare case that I want to go back and read up on something orreminisce on a particular favorite game or console. It, like my other collections, is getting out of hand. And, while packing up and moving DVDs, CDs, and games is a pain in the butt if one is changing residency, doing the same for magazines is a lot worse and they are bulkier and weigh a whole lot more. A friend of mine was collecting a popular men's magazine for years and his apartment flooded. Helping him lug all those magazines to a dumpster was no picnic. So, I'd love to get rid of all these magazines, but still retain the pages (ads and all) electronically. It would free up a lot of space (for more games?) and be less of a fire hazard.

I know some magazines offer older issues on CD-ROM, but I'm not aware if any of the gaming magazines do, and I'm sure that magazines that are no longer published would. I was thinking of scanning the pages and converting them to PDF, but this would take a long time. I have seen MyWire.com, but it's not exactly what I had in mind. Ideally, I would love to have a CD of a year's worth of magazines, such as EGM, GamePro, NextGen, etc. I recall finding a TurboGrafx fan site with most of the TG-16 mags as PDFs, but that's a much smaller project than what I am contemplating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dear God, I've scanned long items before, and it is nothing short of debilitating. I can't imagine doing it with the thousands of mags I have.

I actually occasionally look back at old issues of most of my mags, so I can almost justify keeping them.

I chucked away my old Nintendo Powers sometime in 2006, and of course I needed them shortly after when Gamestop introduced the B1G1 promotion on N64 items, and this year's 75% clearance.

It's a pain but, aside from the editorials, mostly everything can be found for free online from various sources.

EGM uses something like Zinio Delivery Manager, which allows ZiffDavis to send me the electronic copy of EGM monthly. I prefer that much more than the paper edition which would just sit in my 50 lb pile of unread zines from 2002 to 2005.

[quote name='Pasco']Some of us have the fortune of having the problem of overflowing collections, be they games, music, books, etc. I have read many times people "complaining" that the have too many unopened games and not enough time to play them. I'm in this group. I have also come across the problem of videogame journals. I've got shelves upon shelves and stacks upon stacks of gaming (and some non-gaming) mags. Many (normal) people read their periodical and then throw it away or put it in the recycling bin. I, however, am not what one would call normal. I've been keeping them, in the rare case that I want to go back and read up on something orreminisce on a particular favorite game or console. It, like my other collections, is getting out of hand. And, while packing up and moving DVDs, CDs, and games is a pain in the butt if one is changing residency, doing the same for magazines is a lot worse and they are bulkier and weigh a whole lot more. A friend of mine was collecting a popular men's magazine for years and his apartment flooded. Helping him lug all those magazines to a dumpster was no picnic. So, I'd love to get rid of all these magazines, but still retain the pages (ads and all) electronically. It would free up a lot of space (for more games?) and be less of a fire hazard.

I know some magazines offer older issues on CD-ROM, but I'm not aware if any of the gaming magazines do, and I'm sure that magazines that are no longer published would. I was thinking of scanning the pages and converting them to PDF, but this would take a long time. I have seen MyWire.com, but it's not exactly what I had in mind. Ideally, I would love to have a CD of a year's worth of magazines, such as EGM, GamePro, NextGen, etc. I recall finding a TurboGrafx fan site with most of the TG-16 mags as PDFs, but that's a much smaller project than what I am contemplating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?[/quote]

I hate these people who complain they have to many games. While they cant decided which game to play next, I sit here bored, wishing I had more money to buy another game. Pssh, must be nice T_T

[quote name='Riyonuk']I hate these people who complain they have to many games. While they cant decided which game to play next, I sit here bored, wishing I had more money to buy another game. Pssh, must be nice T_T[/quote]
True dat, brosef.

[quote name='Pasco']I have also come across the problem of videogame journals. I've got shelves upon shelves and stacks upon stacks of gaming (and some non-gaming) mags. Many (normal) people read their periodical and then throw it away or put it in the recycling bin. I, however, am not what one would call normal. I've been keeping them, in the rare case that I want to go back and read up on something orreminisce on a particular favorite game or console. It, like my other collections, is getting out of hand. [/quote]

HAHAHA me too! For the longest time (until a month ago), I had Gampros from the mid-late SNES era because they were the first magazine I ever had and they were all shiny and glossy. Back then, I had no game systems...soooo the pretty pictures were all I had. I reread them over and over. I also had a few years of PC Gamers, because they would form a picture on the spines (Well, it would just be PC GAMER). I got to the A before I stopped dealing with it.
Eventually I just sucked it up and threw them away, especially since I think back and realize I'm never going to read them again. If I need to, I'll just google it.

bread's done
Back