Are all Mega Man games the same???

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
I can hardly say that I've played a lot of Mega Man games but...I played through mega man on the nes and now I'm almost finished with Mega Man and Bass for the GBA and the games feel almost identical. I'm just wondering are all the Mega Man games this similar or is it just coincidence these two feel so similar?

Hmm... jump and shoot lots of little robot things while avoiding traps, fight a boss, get an upgrade, repeat.

Yep, that's pretty much how they go. It's a good formula that stands the test of time pretty well.

Of course, there have been many off-shoots that mix it up, but that's generally how Mega Man games are.

[quote name='Scorch']You expect games of the same name to be radically different?[/QUOTE]

Lots of games that are sequels / of the same brand tend to play differently.

The Mega Man games though, even though I love them, are all pretty much identical.

[quote name='Scorch']You expect games of the same name to be radically different?[/QUOTE]

Maybe not radically different but maybe some added elements that would make the game different. Super Mario and Super Mario 3 use the same mechanics but the added features of 3 make it fresh.

I don't feel as if Mega Man and Bass is a bad game but being that its so similar it doesn't really peak my interest to try out the mega man collection or too many of the others.

Try the 3D megaman games on PS yet? I think the Megaman games get better on SNES but it's really always just Mario with boss powerups and shooting, a sidescroller is a sidescroller , not going to blow you away with much reveolutionary gameplay playing them.

What was diffrent between the marios? diffrent power ups?

[quote name='jkam']Maybe not radically different but maybe some added elements that would make the game different. Super Mario and Super Mario 3 use the same mechanics but the added features of 3 make it fresh.[/quote]

I don't think the Mega Man games have evolved much since the X series. I know throughout Mega Man (on NES), they did.. one game added the charged shot, one game added the slide, one game added abilities, one game added the dog.. but with the X series, it felt like more of the same.

Not that I mind, I love the X series.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Try the 3D megaman games on PS yet? I think the Megaman games get better on SNES but it's really always just Mario with boss powerups and shooting, a sidescroller is a sidescroller , not going to blow you away with much reveolutionary gameplay playing them.

What was diffrent between the marios? diffrent power ups?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried Legends at a friends house a few years ago. I'm not bashing the Mega Man series...I enjoy it I was more or less wondering if it would be worth it to me to play the other games in the series.

At their fundemental core, yes, megaman games play alike. However every megaman series does things differently than the others. The Mega Man series plays differently than the X, Zero, Legends and Battle Network series. Megan Man and Mega Man and Bass are both part of the original series thus they share a lot of similarites. X is most similar to the original series but Mega Man is all around more powerful + agile and everything is built to reflect that. Legend is a 3D adventure series. Zero is harder, faster, mission based 2D action and has plenty more customization. Battle Network is an action rpg. SO if you're still interested in Mega Man but find classic to stlae, try one of the other series.

[quote name='jkam']Yeah I tried Legends at a friends house a few years ago. I'm not bashing the Mega Man series...I enjoy it I was more or less wondering if it would be worth it to me to play the other games in the series.[/QUOTE]

God be with you after trying Legends THAT GAME SUCKED for real!

All of the side-scrolling Mega Man (1-6 NES, 7 SNES, 8 PS, MM&B GBA) games are more or less the same. The X games mix it up a bit, but are still based on the found priciples. Give 2 and 3 on the NES a run through. Those are the highlights of the series in my book.

Not really... The original MM games are definitely the most similar, but they definitely had innovations in successive games like being able to charge and slide.

MMX... they actually did add some nice new things to the games. X2 had stuff like the air dash and more versatile mechs along with the speeders. X3 had 4 mechs, a bunch more parts to choose from, and side bosses. X4 = Zero. X5 = time based stuff. X6 = not much innovation... but that's only 1 game.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']The only 2 u have to play is Megaman 2 and Megaman X2. You dont need to waste your money on anything else[/QUOTE]

X2?!? :puke: I thought X and X3 were much better than X2.

But to the OP, they are pretty much the same, but a lot of them are pretty good. (I've played through 1-8 and X-X6 and more or less enjoyed all of them.)

bread's done
Back