Are Best Buy 2-Year Service Performance plans worth it?

blaked569

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Sorry if this was already posted, i did a quick search and it didn't seem to come up. I just bought a 80g mgs4 ps3 bundle, and I was wondering if the best buy service plan was worth it. Most people in line opted for the plan, but I don't really see myself playing ps3 that much in the next two years (I bought it pretty much mainly for mgs4). so is 2 years of reassurance worth 60 bucks?? thanks for your help.

The PS3s have a much lower failure rate than the 360s. In fact, the PS3 and Wii have very similar numbers as far as failure rate goes. Last I saw it was something like 99.3% consoles don't have any issues. Chances are, yours won't.

Do you have a Visa Platinum card? I was told by my credit card account rep that people who have a Visa Platinum can add a service warranty through Visa free of charge on Visa's website.

Yes, I have it on almost everything. I have it for my 360, PS3, Rock band and psp. My rock band guitar broke, I just walked in, got a new rock band bundle and gave them my old bundle. It took less than 5 minutes. If you can afford it, it is definitely worth it.

It depends on whether you think the object will break or not. However, what you have to remember is that it is for only one exchange; therefore if you were to buy the 2 year service thing and it has problems next month, that is it. After that one exchange it doesn't matter that there are 1 year and 11 months left on the service thing, you've already used it up. Just keep it in mind eh?

[quote name='sonderiaom']It depends on whether you think the object will break or not. However, what you have to remember is that it is for only one exchange; therefore if you were to buy the 2 year service thing and it has problems next month, that is it. After that one exchange it doesn't matter that there are 1 year and 11 months left on the service thing, you've already used it up. Just keep it in mind eh?[/QUOTE]

At my BB they told me within the first year I can exchange it as many times as it breaks. In the second year if it breaks and i exchange it I have to get a new warranty. I have a 2 year on my Elite and it broke once already. I brought it to BB they gave me a new one and I still have the warranty.

[quote name='DomLando']At my BB they told me within the first year I can exchange it as many times as it breaks. In the second year if it breaks and i exchange it I have to get a new warranty. I have a 2 year on my Elite and it broke once already. I brought it to BB they gave me a new one and I still have the warranty.[/quote]

*shrugs* Things may have changed then. I remember being the way I'd described it as well as in another thread, an actual best buy employee backing me up. It could be a store specific policy. Make sure to get it in writing.

[quote name='blaked569']Sorry if this was already posted, i did a quick search and it didn't seem to come up. I just bought a 80g mgs4 ps3 bundle, and I was wondering if the best buy service plan was worth it. Most people in line opted for the plan, but I don't really see myself playing ps3 that much in the next two years (I bought it pretty much mainly for mgs4). so is 2 years of reassurance worth 60 bucks?? thanks for your help.[/quote]

I bought one on my PS2 I bought in 2001 from them, I bought one on my Xbox I bought in 2005 from them and I bought one on my PStwo slim that I bought from them late last year.

WHY? Well, for the money it's a good deal, since you can go into the store and just swap out for a new system. The only problem is if you either don't use it or you have a system like you bought which was supposed to be a limited edition(gunmetal grey PS3 I assume, right?), then you're SOL when you go to try and get another one if they're no longer in stock.

Since the 80 gb was even discontinued now, the chances of you getting another 80gb PS3 or a PS3 with the BC is close to nil unless Sony brings out another BC model.

The only thing is though, you called it a Product Service Plan, while the thing I bought was called a product REPLACEMENT plan. They are a bit different beasts, in that I believe the PSP requires you to send out the item to Best Buy or whoevers service center and then you have to WAIT to get your item back and be without one until it gets shipped back. The PRP simply lets you go in and replace your faulty item with a brand new one from off the shelf.

But, again, it goes back to whether or not you'd want to be getting a mere 40gb model and be stuck with the basic black system and not the grey one that came with the bundle.

It's really up to you, but since the 80 gb's aren't made anymore, I would just forgo the PRP or PSP on this, since the PS3 is a damn fine piece of hardware which I just bought at the end of April for GTA IV.

woo! thanks for everyone's input! i guess since 80g's are discontinued, there might not be a point to me getting this. i'll ask them for more information.

Extended warranties, by design, are not a good deal. They are cash cows (large profit makers) for the stores which equates to poor value for the average consumer. That you would be told to buy one on a site that purports to be all about saving money boggles the mind.

I don't know how officially supported this is, but my friend used his warranty near the end of it's life to exchange his 360 for the forza/mua bundle. They offered to extend the warranty for another 2 years for a discounted rate, so he did. When the falcon chip systems came out, he swapped his for one of those and again extended his warranty for a prorated amount. He said he does that with all his systems (ds -> ds lite, psp -> psp slim) that get upgraded within 2 years of purchase.

Just a thought (and a little story) to consider..

For the record, I only bought one at target on my 360 because of the RROD stories. Turns out the Arcade systems aren't too plagued with RROD, therefore I probably paid for nothing. That's the other side of extended warranties.

[quote name='pulsar0510']Extended warranties, by design, are not a good deal. They are cash cows (large profit makers) for the stores which equates to poor value for the average consumer. That you would be told to buy one on a site that purports to be all about saving money boggles the mind.[/QUOTE]

It doesnt matter if they make a profit, because every business is trying to. Its a good value because you save money in the long run IF you need it. Its up to you as a customer to determine if that chance is worth the cost of the service plan.

Some people think just because they treat their products well, nothing will go wrong with this new item, or my all time favorite "My last tv lasted 10 years with no problem at all!".

Its just like any other type of insurance, you pay for health insurance/car insurance and its wasted money if nothing happens....when you really need it though it pays off. The hope is that you pay for it and dont need it but its good to have just in case.

Now those are obviously on a much higher scale but these offer peace of mind in that same sense.

Oh btw for the person wondering, for PRP(2 year replacement plan), if its still within return policy you dont have to buy a new replacement plan on it. For a service plan, if it has to be replaced while still within the first year(aka during mnf warranty as well) then the service plan is carried over.

[quote name='Weedy649']It doesnt matter if they make a profit, because every business is trying to. Its a good value because you save money in the long run IF you need it. Its up to you as a customer to determine if that chance is worth the cost of the service plan.

Some people think just because they treat their products well, nothing will go wrong with this new item, or my all time favorite "My last tv lasted 10 years with no problem at all!".

Its just like any other type of insurance, you pay for health insurance/car insurance and its wasted money if nothing happens....when you really need it though it pays off. The hope is that you pay for it and dont need it but its good to have just in case.

Now those are obviously on a much higher scale but these offer peace of mind in that same sense.

Oh btw for the person wondering, for PRP(2 year replacement plan), if its still within return policy you dont have to buy a new replacement plan on it. For a service plan, if it has to be replaced while still within the first year(aka during mnf warranty as well) then the service plan is carried over.[/quote]

You're wrong. They make a profit out of line with their normal margins because most folks never use the plan in realation to what they charge. Not to mention the fact that message boards are legion with horror stories of folks trying to use a warranty purchased at Best Buy(and other retailors) and being rebuffed/told it doesn't cover "whatever"/ or being without their product for months at a time. Extended warranties are never a good deal. They have more in common with the lottery than with healthcare coverage.

[quote name='pulsar0510']Extended warranties are never a good deal. They have more in common with the lottery than with healthcare coverage.[/quote]
Yes. I prefer to save my money and self-insure the products I buy (cars, electronics, whatever). The money I've spent (total) on repairs and/or replacements is far less than I would have spent on warranties.

Target and Wal-Mart both offer 2-year plans and they're much cheaper I think. When I got my 80GB PS3 w/ MGS4 bundle, the 2 year service plan was only $28.88. I think Target is $30?

I never bought any service performance plan at all. So I have a few questions about it in general.

With the Targets or Walmarts plan, do they just replace your broken one with a brand new right in the store, or do they take it and send it in for repair for you?

The hardware comes with a standard 1 year manufacturers warranty, so the plan only really covers the second year, doesn't it?

VISA has an extended warranty coverage that doubles the manufacturers warranty up to an additional year. Does this amount to more or less the same thing as a 2-year service plan offered by a retailer?

It's worth it for the 360, used my BB warranty once already. PS3s aren't breaking as often, and since I can't even buy the 60gig model any more, a warranty was pointless to me.

So, it depends on your risk analysis on the particular item.

bread's done
Back