Are buying video games an addiction

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
some days i just cant stop buying video games.. Give you an example right now

i have these games i have yet to even play (these are just DS games)

Pokemon diamond
Pokemon Platinum Version sealed
final fantasy 4
Suikoden Tierkreis
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon quest 4 (played about 10 hours)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness sealed
Disgaea DS Sealed
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia Played less then 5hours
Fossil League Dino Tournament Sealed
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (played less then 5 hours)
Blue Dragon Plus
Naruto: Path of Ninja 2 sealed
mario partners in time

and in the last week just went out and got

The Dark Spire
Dokapon Journey
Legacy of Ys: Books I & II
The World Ends With You
Lost in blue 3
Puzzle kingdoms (just got it woo)

Knights in Nightmare (just preorded ---thought the goodies was too good to pass up)

and still tempted to pull out the credit card and buy

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier off gamefly for 27

and will probaly buy the new YU GI OH DS game in 2 weeks (if i can dump the cards off for around 20+ )

and these are just rpg type games... That is a 20 game backlog and i still sort of feel like i need to keep buying games even though i probally have a 1 to 3 year backlog just right here... (mostly just play 2 to 3 hours a day if that)

and that does not even count the games i rent from video stores and gamefly...

Does anyone else just keep buying games even though they got a massive back log to play... I dont know if i think im going to miss a chance to get a great price or what.. Funny thing some of those games i have not even played yet i paid MORE used then what they cost NEW Now...

I'm not so sure if you're addicted to buying the games, or addicted to the idea that you're getting something on sale or at a discount perhaps.

I've cut way back since I looked at my backlog and thought to myself, "I can go for about a year without even buying another game and STILL not play all of these. Do I really need another one?" I've put back a lot of games because of that...

I buy a lot of games, but to keep my spending in check I only try to purchase really good deals or something I know I want to play at that moment (which still has to be a deal, nothing ever new). For example, this last best buy deal, I picked up SCIV and Silent Hill because for 10 bucks they are def worth it even though I wont get to Silent Hill in the longest time. But what I do do is lend games I know Im not gonna play to friends or my brother that way I can at least justify spending the money. So Siren New translation and Silent hill are with 2 of my friends while I play Valkaria chronicles. Probably not the best route to go but It works for me.

I think I am addicted to buying games. Thought not for the DS. I don't understand why people buy DS games. With the R4 chip, every single DS game, FOR FREE!

But anyways...... I'm addicted to buying PS2 games. I cannot stop buying PS2 games. I have over 100+ games for that system. If I spent 1 year, 24/7 playing my PS2 games, I think it would take 1 year and a half (older systems including Dreamcast and PS1 probably 2 years). Yeah I have an addiction. I LOVE that discount bin.
Frequency for $7? Mine.
Skygunner for $4? Mine.
Yakuza 2 for $20? Need new pair of underwear!

Well I do buy games, but only when I think they are worth it which is not often. I will also only buy clearance games if I really did want to play it.

I also got back into WoW. Now you can say all you want bashing WoW but the way I see it, I spend less on video games since I have fun in WoW and don't feel the need to play anything else. I spend $30 in 2 months where I would probably spend a lot more if I was not playing WoW.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well I do buy games, but only when I think they are worth it which is not often. I will also only buy clearance games if I really did want to play it.

I also got back into WoW. Now you can say all you want bashing WoW but the way I see it, I spend less on video games since I have fun in WoW and don't feel the need to play anything else. I spend $30 in 2 months where I would probably spend a lot more if I was not playing WoW.[/QUOTE]

That just shows how differently people play games, because I tried playing a few MMOs and cant stand playing them more than a few days, few weeks if they are interesting enough. For me its worth paying the money for a clear cut experience with a start and finish than to play a game that doesnt end but has few reasons other than just grinding and gear to play. of course Im assuming Im the minority on that considering the millions on WoW. Id rather watch a good movie than watch a show go on for 20 seasons more than it needs to if you know what I mean.

Finding deals and completing collections is a game in of itself. It can be very addicting. I have hundreds of games I may never get around to playing keep getting more when the price is right. Fortunately, my version of 'right' is a very low number and that keeps things somewhat under control.

Most of those games WILL drop in price by the time you get around to playing them. Every time you go to buy a game, figure out if you are going to play it RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, wait for price drops or clearance. There are occasions where you find a game for a price that won't be seen again for 6 months. Fine. But I can't imagine a scenario in my head where you aren't wasting money on the games you've listed.

My backlog is pretty big too. Most of the games I haven't played yet are pretty huge. Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Halo 3. Hell, I finally got around to beating Bioshock a few months ago.

I don't think it's a bad thing to buy lots of games. Half the people here have dads with 200+ vinyl collections. Games are just our generation's vinyl.

I've started getting to my game backlog... now my other problems... adult videos, which sit unwatched, and then vinyls, vinyls are bad. I buy them for they are shiny, but I have nothing to play them in even... but damn vinyls are shiny...

The true addiction though: Figures. Don't start buying GI Joes/Transformers, it's like Pokemon, you gotta catch em *all*.

well since puzzle kingdoms has me hooked i was able to pull the Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier out of my Ds and send it back to gamefly. Would of been nice keeping it for 27 bucks BUT I think i will be able to pick it up cheaper hopefully. It was a fun but major pain in the butt game..and how i was playing it according to a walkthough.. I was about 10 hours into the game and only 30% done (meaning the game could of been up to 40 hours long and it would just been sitting there holdin up my open gamefly spot)

and puzzle kingdoms will probally be taking up all of my time and hopefully by saturday or monday i will have Dokapon Journey in hand from goozex.. (suck they already dropped this game 100 pts on goozex)

sucks for some reason goozex does not list that game super robot

Yeah.. during a drought last year, I severely cut back on buying 360 games and started buying Blu Ray movies. Don't get me wrong, I still have a ton of 360 games I haven't played yet (and I finally picked up Battlefield BC!!!), but I think movies are my new addiction

Got a big backlog for sure and i still keep buying. But i also sell some so it balances out fairly well. Gaming used to consume more of my time, but now i tend to buy games and dont even look at em, just resell lol...

Well everyone needs a hobby too. And like my previous collections, they could become some use. For example all my PSX games were just sitting there because they werent interesting enough for me to start or play over when I have current gen stuff to play. But when I hacked my PSP and learned to convert them, I played a number of FF over again because now its portable and I could play them on the go. Still waiting for a good portable platform to run all my old DOS games though. For some reason all these smart phones still have trouble emulating DOS properly.

Yea the person in the that story ^ has an issue. I think thats an addiction more than a hobby. My opinion is that addiction is something that you keep doing to the detriment to yourself, a hobby is something you do because you have the means. I mean I was tempted to buy something earlier but I know my CC bill is getting bigger than it should so I decided against it. Now if someone doesnt have that threashhold and just spends, then its an issue. Plus if I dont have money I cant buy booze.

I actually spend more time looking for deals and/or thinking about buying games than I do actually playing games. Anyone else like that?

I use to buy pretty much any game/movie that I was just the slightest bit interested in if I could get a "deal" on it. I've got hundreds of games I've never played and even more movies that I either haven't watched or have only watched once.

Then about 2 years ago I was cleaning out the basement and going through the close to 800 sq ft of boxes of all the "collectible" crap I've amased over the years.....comics, sports cards, toys, movies, games....and it just hit me. I've basically got an Aston Martin in the basement and frankly, seeing all that old stuff together and putting a $$ amount on it in my mind made me a little sick.

Since then I've cut the pointless spending by something like 90%. I do still buy games and movies but only the stuff I really want and only titles that I know I'm going to get some real value from and I've started selling a lot of the old collectible crap when I see opportunities to profit nicely.

I bought a lot when I first found this site around Black Friday of last year. I've since curbed the habit when I found Goozex.

If you buy a game for a deal, and don't get to it for awhile...(a year as some of you have said in this thread) about the time you get to it wont it be cheaper?

Like if you just are getting to mass effect, you can get it used for $9 on amazon, a year ago there's no way you could get around that....

[quote name='Ender']I actually spend more time looking for deals and/or thinking about buying games than I do actually playing games. Anyone else like that?[/quote]

Guilty.

I have around 70 PS2 and original Xbox games I haven't touched yet..but I know I WILL touch them one day. I see it as completing a collection of great games. Prices aren't going to get much cheaper especially if you pick them up during Buy 2 Get 1 sales. If you wait much longer all the good games will no longer be available in bargain bins as people like me snatch them up. ;)

[quote name='Scorch']Yeah.. during a drought last year, I severely cut back on buying 360 games and started buying Blu Ray movies. Don't get me wrong, I still have a ton of 360 games I haven't played yet (and I finally picked up Battlefield BC!!!), but I think movies are my new addiction[/QUOTE]

Well, movies have always been an addiction of mine but recently I have also been starting to buy more Blu Rays instead of DVDs. Funny thing is that I had so many movies once upon a time that my nickname by my close friends & family was Blockbuster because they knew they could always come to my house and find something to watch. That is the main reason that I love Blu Ray because those same people don't have a Blu Ray player so they won't even touch them since I've had so many DVDs come up missing for people not returning them.

[quote name='Ender']I actually spend more time looking for deals and/or thinking about buying games than I do actually playing games. Anyone else like that?[/QUOTE]

I use to be the same way but mine was more toward flipping games I found on the cheap to get the games I wanted to play but I was spending way more time in flip mode then I did playing what I was getting. Now, since I have less time I try to focus on buying stuff I want to play and don't even look at stuff to flip.

Just an FYI. I'm no expert (...yet. I'm studying psychology), but a lot of you are showing symptoms of addiction. To the OP, yes you have an addiction problem. You really need to get that under control. Also just wanted to mention that to the person who said addiction means you do it "to the detriment of yourself", that is questionable. For example, there's a thing called a functioning alcoholic. I functioning alcoholic is someone who can lead a totally normal life (have a family with children, hold a steady job, have a circle of friends and a life) but be addicted to alcohol. This scenario applies to any addiction. The best way I can describe an addiction is something you frequently "crave" or "desire" to an extent that you have difficulty controlling those urges. Addiction is always a replacement for something. I hate to sound cliche, but it's true.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']Just an FYI. I'm no expert (...yet. I'm studying psychology), but a lot of you are showing symptoms of addiction. To the OP, yes you have an addiction problem. You really need to get that under control. Also just wanted to mention that to the person who said addiction means you do it "to the detriment of yourself", that is questionable. For example, there's a thing called a functioning alcoholic. I functioning alcoholic is someone who can lead a totally normal life (have a family with children, hold a steady job, have a circle of friends and a life) but be addicted to alcohol. This scenario applies to any addiction. The best way I can describe an addiction is something you frequently "crave" or "desire" to an extent that you have difficulty controlling those urges. Addiction is always a replacement for something. I hate to sound cliche, but it's true.[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen a post from you in forever, VV!

Thanks for the insight.

bread's done
Back