Are component cables a big upgrade?

V4oLDbOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
93 (100%)
I just bought a wii, and am plaing on a hdtv. But the picture quality is a bit weak, its 480i so I'm not expecting much. But I get these lines going horizontally accross the screen, moving vertically. So would getting component cables be a significant upgrade over the composite cables, with an hdtv?

You're getting an HDTV that only does 480i? I don't think 480i or even 480p is technically HDTV , it's EDTV. That Wikipedia link will allude to why you want component cables

If you can't easily afford component cables, you are not yet in a place financially to buy a new television. I would consider saving the money, put it in a savings account or one-year CD, and waiting until you can get 720p. For gaming and high-motion movies, 1080i does not offer that significant an advantage, so 720p will do; of course 1080p is even better than 720p, but if you're on a budget, 720p is your best value.

Seriously, do not buy a television set that can't do 720p. It will make you happy for maybe a year, but you will regret it for much longer.

I can only presume that there is some miscommunication going on. Are you asking if a component cable will make a significant difference with the STDV you have now versus using a composite cable? It would improve color and provide a sharper picture, though whether or not the difference is a big deal would be for you to decide. Versus an s-video cable? I suspect the difference there would be pretty minimal, if anything, but I don't know. If you have an HDTV (720p or higher), then yes, it should make a noticeable difference versus composite or s-video.

There really isn't a miscommunication, OP said he's playing the Wii on an HDTV and he isn't expecting much because the Wii is currently putting out 480i on to his more than presumably capable set.

Comparison of composite vs component cables here -
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html

Not exactly night and day but you can see the improvement, the comparison uses launch titles so its not really the best example for whats currently out there. It would be more apparent in better looking games like Metroid 3 or Galaxy.

it did wonders for my picture. before i got them the system was barely playable.

my picture looked much worse than those sample shots.

I'm not a hardcore graphics person so I see all the arguments about more jaggies with component cables, but either I don't notice them or it's not enough to bother me.

I think it looks better so I'll say yes as well

In the op I said I was playing on a hdtv and was asking if, component cables made a difference over composite ones, on the HDTV. I already got several answers before I got the lectures...

Sorry forgot to mention that I picked some up at Microcenter with the $10 off coupon, also got the nyko charge kit with the same coupon...

I picked up those exact cables a few weeks ago for my 37 inch HDTV... red looks like pink :( and I really don't see an improvement despite putting it to 480p mode :(

Another major reason to go for component cables is it allows you to run in progressive mode, which eliminates the display lag caused by feeding an interlaced signal to the TV. Playing games that require any sort of timing such as Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero will be very difficult without progressive scan on an HDTV.

Hell, my neighbor has the Wii set to 480i on his 60" Samsung DLP and the lag is so bad that even Wii Tennis is significantly off.

Ok so I'm now using the component cables. This is my set up as of now

40" samsung lcd with component cables. The improvement is noticeable to a degree, but the horizontal lines still show up. But the picture is a it clearer, I'm basing that off of the text being a bit sharper. I've yet to play a demanding game, but for now, $10...seems like its worth it for the improvement.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']In the op I said I was playing on a hdtv and was asking if, component cables made a difference over composite ones, on the HDTV. I already got several answers before I got the lectures...[/quote]

I see now. The problem is, you wrote this:

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I just bought a wii, and am plaing on a hdtv.[/quote]

If I read plaing as "playing," I would have given you a more useful response. I read it as "planning," as in, you were planning on buying an HDTV. Also, since the Wii should be able to do 480p and you say the picture quality is 480i, that implied you were talking about a TV and not the Wii.

Don't be so defensive, and let us know if you feel like the component cable was worth it (after switching to 480p, which should be an improvement).

[quote name='beeporama']

Don't be so defensive, and let us know if you feel like the component cable was worth it (after switching to 480p, which should be an improvement).[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't realize the typo, I wasn't being defensive, tone is hard to type.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Ok so I'm now using the component cables. This is my set up as of now

40" samsung lcd with component cables. The improvement is noticeable to a degree, but the horizontal lines still show up (edit: only if I'm close, 3-5 ft). But the picture is a bit clearer, I'm basing that off of the text being a bit sharper. I've yet to play a demanding game, but for now, $10...seems like its worth it for the improvement.[/QUOTE]

But yeah, I got the component cables with the microcenter coupon, before it went dead sat. at my MC. IMprovement, but not incredible.

OP I was having the same problem when I had got mine HDTV.

Personally, I was confused as to why people said "HUUUUGE DIFFERENCE" when honestly, I did not notice a HUGE differen. A difference, yes. It does look better than what it did on my STV, but by all means it's nothing huge.

The Wii is not meant to look nice and after I had realized that, I pretty much accepted it and ignore it 99% of the time :lol:

Component on my 50" is a huge difference compared to the standard video input on my friend's 60". It is so bad that I am about to buy him some component cables.

I never said using standard on an HDTV.

For me, I didn't notice a HUGE different on my standard TV w/ normal components comparing it to my HDTV w/ hd component cables.
But :shrug: I guess everyone is different. I didn't even try my normal components on my HDTV, because ew, :lol: why would anyone even want to do that?!

[quote name='lilboo']I never said using standard on an HDTV.

For me, I didn't notice a HUGE different on my standard TV w/ normal components comparing it to my HDTV w/ hd component cables.
But :shrug: I guess everyone is different. I didn't even try my normal components on my HDTV, because ew, :lol: why would anyone even want to do that?![/quote]
I think you mean composite on your normal TV. Based on what you're describing, you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference. The difference really comes on an HD set and switching between composite and component. Those cables should really have names that don't sound and look almost the same. It's so confusing.

I have no point of comparison since I started playing mine with Component cables from the start but I have no complaints whatsoever.

Going to be ordering those component cables, quick question though. I was thinking about ordering a pair for my brother-in-law. He lives in europe so has pal wii with pall tv.. will the cables be compatible?

Personally, I think composite cables are much sharper, but I don't really see a difference between standard and S-video, which some people also claim is noticeable.

bread's done
Back