Are either of the steering wheel games any good?

j_factor

CAGiversary!
Just wondering if anyone's tried GT Pro Series and/or Monster 4X4. Both come with a steering wheel attachment for the remote, which kind of interests me. I haven't really heard anything about either game, although if GT Pro Series is anything like Gran Turismo and Sega GT, I'll pass.

So... any good?

Also, does the steering wheel attachment "do anything", or is it just a piece of plastic to make the controller wheel-shaped?

I have GT Pro Series and it absolutely blows. It looks like a PS1 game, and handles horribly. I can only guess the other games just as bad.

I'm not a graphics whore or anything, but the GT game looks like total shit and the steering wheel is just a piece of plastic shaped like a wheel. I haven't played it though so who knows.

GT pro racing is cell shaded which is supposed to be cartoony and it doesn't look that bad. The wii is not a pc with high end everything and it was made very clear about that. It doesn't look like shit but it's not as good looking as Carbon is i'd bet(haven't played it yet).

The wheel is actually pretty cool and takes some getting used to. The game can be played with or without it but I choose with...it's just an interesting take on a driving game.

As long as you're not looking for the best graphics in a game ever, you'd probably enjoy it!

T. Foolery

the steering wheel makes you feel like your playing at the arcades in my opinion. and i love it. i received GT pro series for free...so im not complaining

I actually noticed that already. But it's $20. I could get it with a game for a mere $30 extra.

No one's played Monster 4x4? If it's totally unknown I might buy it just because.

[quote name='j_factor']I actually noticed that already. But it's $20. I could get it with a game for a mere $30 extra.

No one's played Monster 4x4? If it's totally unknown I might buy it just because.[/quote]
But those games aren't that good. Why spend the extra money on titles of questionable quality instead of just buying the one redeemable item they're associated with? If you're concerned about the price, just make your own.

The fact that there's a lack of reviews on these games (with two Nintendo Power and one GameSpot reviews) should say something about the quality.

[quote name='daroga']Does the wheel work well with Excite Truck?[/QUOTE]
I don't think so, since in Excite Truck you tilt the controller instead of rotating it.

I guess it could be done, it just wouldn't feel like you were using a steering wheel--more like tilting a dinner plate left and right.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']But those games aren't that good.[/quote]

GT Pro Series isn't good. We've yet to establish anything regarding the quality of Monster 4X4.

Why spend the extra money on titles of questionable quality instead of just buying the one redeemable item they're associated with? If you're concerned about the price, just make your own.

It's not really a redeemable item if it's not worth using for any good games. As someone said, it wouldn't really be appropriate for Excite Truck. I don't know of anything other than these two games that it would work for... maybe NFS Carbon, but I really have zero interest in that game. I suppose there will probably be future games that it would be nice for, but I'll wait for at least one such game to come before I bother getting the wheel.

And anyway, I was actually curious about the games, not just the wheel itself. I am satisfied that I probably wouldn't like GT Pro Series, but I'm still curious about Monster 4X4.

The fact that there's a lack of reviews on these games (with two Nintendo Power and one GameSpot reviews) should say something about the quality.

I don't agree with that. A lot of mags/sites didn't bother reviewing Bangai-O, and that turned out to be one of my favorite Dreamcast games.

GT Pro Series's graphics and gameplay both suck. I'm waiting for a Forza-style sim, or I might get Carbon.

Why wouldn't it work for Excite Truck? Looks to be just a piece of plastic to surround the Wiimote. It still allows you complete movement on all sides as it's not affixed to anything.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Why wouldn't it work for Excite Truck? Looks to be just a piece of plastic to surround the Wiimote. It still allows you complete movement on all sides as it's not affixed to anything.[/quote]
Because in excite truck you hold the controller with the buttons facing up and with these other games you hold the controller with the buttons facing you. So it is tilting on a different axis.

[quote name='E_G_Man']Because in excite truck you hold the controller with the buttons facing up and with these other games you hold the controller with the buttons facing you. So it is tilting on a different axis.[/quote]

really? I didn't play it that way

[quote name='Metal Boss']really? I didn't play it that way[/QUOTE]

Me neither (only played the kiosk demo, as I don't have a wii yet). Actually, I did try playing by holding the wiimote w/ buttons up at first and rotating it (didn't try tilting), but quickly found out that it worked so much better w/ the buttons facing me, and rotating the controller like a steering wheel. So I don't see why the wheel attachement wouldn't work.

I think the wheel works really well with Excite Truck. The battery cover latch doesn't dig into the hand. And I find it's much easier to know the orientation of the wiimote. I was having trouble with the 720 spin in the Tutorials. Came back to it after I put on the steering wheel and accomplished it on the first try.

I couldnt disagree more. GT Pro Racing looks like a PS1 launch game. Its jaggy and choppy and horrible looking. It is by far the worst looking launch game for the Wii. Ive never played it, so I have no comments on its playability or control, but as far as graphics go, its a stinker.

[quote name='tomfoolery']GT pro racing is cell shaded which is supposed to be cartoony and it doesn't look that bad. The wii is not a pc with high end everything and it was made very clear about that. It doesn't look like shit but it's not as good looking as Carbon is i'd bet(haven't played it yet).
[/quote]

[quote name='E_G_Man']Because in excite truck you hold the controller with the buttons facing up and with these other games you hold the controller with the buttons facing you. So it is tilting on a different axis.[/QUOTE]

You're wrong (or at least confused). You're supposed to hold the controller with the buttons facing you and "steer" in the same fashion as you would with the steering wheel attachment. So I would think it would be effective.

[quote name='Tybee']You're wrong (or at least confused). You're supposed to hold the controller with the buttons facing you and "steer" in the same fashion as you would with the steering wheel attachment. So I would think it would be effective.[/quote]Perhaps he's used to driving big rigs where the wheels are nearly horizontal. The rest of us folk drive cars that have steering stalks that have the wheel itself near vertical.

[quote name='Tybee']You're wrong (or at least confused). You're supposed to hold the controller with the buttons facing you and "steer" in the same fashion as you would with the steering wheel attachment. So I would think it would be effective.[/quote]You can do it that way? I hold it with the buttons facing the ceiling and tip the right or left side down, the way I want to turn. I'll have to try it this way tonight.

I've been playing Excite Truck with the wheel attachment. I hold it just like I would my car wheel and it works just fine. Though $20 for the wheel seems kind of steep when it comes with other games for free.

bread's done
Back