Are gamestop and EB hoarding Wii?

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
Because I find this really wierd that a lot of store got like Target and Circuit City got additional Wii shipment after launch but the guys at gamestop and eb seems to have no clue at all if or when they are getting more in, which I find quite hard to believe. When I call them one day the lady had the guts to tell me that they will not get any more Wii until after christmas. Come on it is a game specity store, and they expect me to believe that bull crap?

NeoWhoa.jpg

Why would we wanna hoard them?

Most people seriously don't know when we will get Wiis in stock. The other day when I was working, we had a surprise shipment of 2 20gb PS3s.

They were sold quickly.

[quote name='Kuros']Why would we wanna hoard them?

Most people seriously don't know when we will get Wiis in stock. The other day when I was working, we had a surprise shipment of 2 20gb PS3s.

They were sold quickly.[/quote]Lol, 2 is considered a shipment?

Believe it or not, there are some retailers that don't know when exact shipments of a said item come in. That's just how it is.

Work gaming retail (as a lot of us on CAG do), see how it really is, then stop bitching.

Gamestop and EB are not getting nearly as much as probably more mainstream stores like Target, Wal-mart, etc.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Gamestop and EB are not getting nearly as much as probably more mainstream stores like Target, Wal-mart, etc.[/quote]

This was a rumor going round the local EB.

I stopped in my local EB several days last week, as did a bunch of other people. The UPS truck comes during a pretty consistent window of about two hours.

Last week, the EB received no Wii. They did receive 8 PS3 (4 60GB, 4 20 GB) and sold four of them on the spot. The other 4 went to outstanding preorders. I was there and saw this personally.

Nintendo is shipping crap out -- this EB received three shipments of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Woohoo! Not.

Another nearby EB located in a mall received 3 Wii Friday morning and sold them right then. They also received some PS3s.

Some EB employees are being somewhat misleading, although it does depend on how you look at it. At the EB in the Irvine Spectrum, someone asked when he could get a Wii and the employee replied that it would be after Christmas.

This is not quite accurate, as EBs are getting shipments. Just not many of them and not every day. So, for someone just dropping in and expecting to find one, January is probably when that guy could find one.

[quote name='slvrdrgn123']Lol, 2 is considered a shipment?[/QUOTE]
Wiis come in 3 to a box so considering how big a PS3 is, theres nothing to be LOLing about. Feel free to :rofl: at the size of a PS3 though.

Who gives a damn.
The reason why they tell you after Christmas is because they get asked 20 times an hour. They can't give an exact date/time out as they don't even know.

It's pretty obvious why EB and Gamestop don't get nearly as many Wii as say Wal-Mart and Target. They both suck, big time.

How many Gamestop and EB bitch threads have popped up on this forum compared to to other stores, not for having bad deals, but for having just bad service and policies?

What about the preorders and promises from EB and Gamestop last year for the Xbox 360? Do you think people forget about that after 9-12 months? Surely Nintendo's marketing research shows this and thus allocates stock accordingly. At least I would hope so, because, like I said EB and Gamestop suck and I won't shop there.

[quote name='b3b0p']It's pretty obvious why EB and Gamestop don't get nearly as many Wii as say Wal-Mart and Target. They both suck, big time.

How many Gamestop and EB bitch threads have popped up on this forum compared to to other stores, not for having bad deals, but for having just bad service and policies?

What about the preorders and promises from EB and Gamestop last year for the Xbox 360? Do you think people forget about that after 9-12 months? Surely Nintendo's marketing research shows this and thus allocates stock accordingly. At least I would hope so, because, like I said EB and Gamestop suck and I won't shop there.[/QUOTE]

That's right! Fight the man!

[quote name='b3b0p']It's pretty obvious why EB and Gamestop don't get nearly as many Wii as say Wal-Mart and Target. They both suck, big time.

What about the preorders and promises from EB and Gamestop last year for the Xbox 360? Do you think people forget about that after 9-12 months? Surely Nintendo's marketing research shows this and thus allocates stock accordingly. At least I would hope so, because, like I said EB and Gamestop suck and I won't shop there.[/QUOTE]

There are so many 'bitch' threads because Wal-Mart, Target, etc. don't sell USED games. Or sell 'opened' new games. Wal-Mart, Target etc. don't cater to videogamers while EB/GS do. People, apparently, expect Superb customer service at EB/GS because they pay .25 cents more then minium wage then Wal-Mart/Target.

Thank you for also not shopping there. Err, well I'm sure you will when their is a deal to exploit, but never for anything else, right? How dare they give such low trade-in values and rip people off! But hey, Max Payne 2 sells there for $1.99 and trades in for $2.25....LETS EXPLOIT!!!!!!!

[quote name='gizmogc']Max Payne 2 sells there for $1.99 and trades in for $2.25....LETS EXPLOIT!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Ooh, does it? :) LOL

i still am bitter that they did the preorder for it on a Fri. I got a shit load of credit there and am unable to spend it on the Wii because they arent there.

[quote name='b3b0p']As expected, it's the Gamestop fairy.[/QUOTE]

Well, turning a topic into "OMG I HATE GS/EB THOSE NOOBS!" is pretty lame.

[quote name='b3b0p']As expected, it's the Gamestop fairy.[/QUOTE]

As expected its the normal 'EB/GS SUCKS!!!!111!!!! THEY SELL NEW GAMES THAT ARE USED AND OPENED. OMGWTFBBQZOOL!!!!" :roll:

[quote name='js1']Well, does anyone have any idea the best time/day is to check EB/GS for systems?[/QUOTE]

11am. Thats when they typically get shipments in. Not to hard to spot the PS3s as they come in a box the size of VW Beetle.

[quote name='gizmogc']11am. Thats when they typically get shipments in. Not to hard to spot the PS3s as they come in a box the size of VW Beetle.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

The whole Wii and PS3 situation at my EB is pretty crazy. We get our shippments between 11:30 and 12:30 (usually), and people camp out in our parking lot. As soon as the UPS truck pulls up in front of our store, 15 or 20 people get out of their cars and run in. The systems are spoken for before we can even finish unpacking them.

I was at GS the other day and a guy was trying to buy like 2 or 3 Wiimotes, and I guess through talking to the employee he mentioned that he didnt have a Wii and was gonna sell them or something. Then the GS employee looks at him all serious and says I cant sell them to you. The employee totally kept his cool and just stared him down, it was awesome. So after about a minute of back and forth "are you serious?!?!" "Yeah man". So as the guys walking off all pissed the dude that works there says "you would be doing a disservice to the community" It was so awesome, seriously, made me love GS all over again. (except for 5 dollars extra DS games).

I dunno some shady stuff was going on at the EB Games by my house (Union NJ Route 22)

My friend has been looking for a Wii so everytime I go into a store I ask for him to help him out. I walk into EBGames on Friday ask for a Wii they got none at all. Saw something I wanted but I left my Edge Card in my glove compartment so I went to get it. Come back in a couple minutes later and this guy comes out of the back with a PS3 and a Wii in his hand for some girl (who came in while I was getting my card).

Maybe she pre ordered it which is cool, but then she's like "I have to buy all of this?? You didn't tell me that, I don't got that kind of money" to the cashier. Anyway he takes her to the side says some things, she leaves with the Wii and PS3. I get my game and go on with my life.

Clearly she was girlfriend/friend/relative of the employee who was buying it either to resell or play, but what can you do.

Gamestop and EBgames is the worst place if you're trying to score a Wii. My advice is go some place where they are getting a lot. Gamestop will never have more than 5-9 Wii's at a time, and they'll only be getting shipments once a week. Places like Target, CC, Best Buy are getting 30-50 and if you line up just a little earlier in the line you're pretty much guaranteed a system, where Gamestop and EB will pull some shit about not knowing how many systems they have when there are really 5 in the back. Think of your chances, where you do want to spend your time? I got mine at Target yesterday morning, they got nearly 40.

Don't ever believe what EB tells you over the phone. I tried calling Friday 2 seperate times at the EB in Aberdeen, NC ( Bunch of Punk Asses that work there) to check if they received their shipment of Wii's. The guy told me the same thing both times, that the UPS guy made the delivery but no Wii's were in the shipment and that the truck was done for deliveries that day. I went in the next day to see if maybe they would receive em' and come to find out, they received 3 the day before and didn't even say "Well, we did get some in after all but we are sold out.", wasted trip that made me want to beat the hell out of the dude that BS'ed me on the phone. I agree that EB is pretty shady, I'm almost positive one of the jerks who works there bought a Playstation 3 and Wii off of the first shipment. Watch out for EB in general, always some high school dropout looking out for his buddy or looking to turn around and sell a system for profit.

they save them for their friends, seriously, tons of people have witnessed this firsthand, me included similar to rsigleys story

Gamestops suck. I went in today, and they tell me maybe 2 weeks for the next shipment. Gimme a break, like thats believable.

[quote name='jza1218']Gamestops suck. I went in today, and they tell me maybe 2 weeks for the next shipment. Gimme a break, like thats believable.[/QUOTE]

Then, like, don't shop there. Its been posted WAY too many times here on weekly shipments from big stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy etc. that get systems in and when. Use that information and GET one. Don't get pissed because you limit yourself to 1 store.

[quote name='gizmogc']Then, like, don't shop there. Its been posted WAY too many times here on weekly shipments from big stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy etc. that get systems in and when. Use that information and GET one. Don't get pissed because you limit yourself to 1 store.[/QUOTE]

God you're annoying. Do you own stock in Gamestop or something?

And I'm trying to get it there because I have over $100 in store credit there, not that its any of you're business. I'm pissed because of the overall lack of information. 3 times last week I was told to call back later in the week. Then on Friday I was told to check back Monday(today). I went there twice, and the second time they told me two weeks.

[quote name='jza1218']God you're annoying. Do you own stock in Gamestop or something?

And I'm trying to get it there because I have over $100 in store credit there, not that its any of you're business. I'm pissed because of the overall lack of information. 3 times last week I was told to call back later in the week. Then on Friday I was told to check back Monday(today). I went there twice, and the second time they told me two weeks.[/QUOTE]

No, I would never own stock in such a shitty company. Do they even have stock options? Anyone?

$100 in credit means you can buy 2 games. Why not buy 2 games there and by the Wii at a place that actually sells it?

Why do they keep on giving you random dates? Because they DON'T KNOW. There are many employees that work for EB/GS that are frequent CAGers...there is no real good idea of when new stock comes in. They don't know. How about I come into you're place of work and ask you the same question 40-70 times over and over all day. THATS exactly what happens at EB/GS. Customers, Phone Calls etc. all asking the same damn question. They will tell you a date just to shut you up and hope you don't come in the next day and ask the same question again.

well a lot of the times they just don't know when or how many they are getting plain and simple. Sure some employees may hold some for friends, family etc or even take bribes or who knows what but for the most part I think they just don't know and get tired of getting millions of people every day asking the same question. One friendly employee suggested that I go out sunday early and bundle up to stay warm and get in line at a target or circuit city out in the middle of nowhere - said that was probably my best bet. So he was sorta saying his store wasn't the best place to be looking.

I've worked retail and getting questions like that does suck. But it's no excuse for lying, making up dates etc. to just get people to go away.

It's your job. If you don't like it and can't do it at the level one should be expected to, then quit and find another job. Their are plenty out there.

Sadly, customer service is pretty much dead. :(

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've worked retail and getting questions like that does suck. But it's no excuse for lying, making up dates etc. to just get people to go away.

It's your job. If you don't like it and can't do it at the level one should be expected to, then quit and find another job. Their are plenty out there.

Sadly, customer service is pretty much dead. :([/QUOTE]

I've worked retail many a years, and people are NOT happy when you give them an HONEST "I really don't know". They call you stupid or they will question YOU if you know anything about your job.

Put it this way, if you don't tell them what they want to hear you are gonna get bitched at.

And whoever is bugging the EB/GS people, just chill. You will get a Wii. Seriously. Check stores like Best Buy/WalMart/Target every week (especially for Sundays since thats when an ad comes out). I'm pretty positive we will get at least 1 more shipment before Christmas--if not, 2 :)

This is another thing: If you know your Wal-Mart is getting Wiis in on say "December 15th", and if you don't have school or work that day.. go camp. Go wait outside a few hours. Seriously.

I waited 12 for my Wii on launch. It was a bitch, but whatever. I still got it and I can leave retail employees alone =)

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've worked retail and getting questions like that does suck. But it's no excuse for lying, making up dates etc. to just get people to go away.

Sadly, customer service is pretty much dead. :([/QUOTE]

So they should say 'We don't know' and then have that customer go ABOVE your head and ask the manager. Then above his head and the DM? People WILL do that. They expect to get whatever they want because 'The Customer is always right' bullcrap line fed to them years ago. Be patient. I know, its tough. If you don't like it, pay the extra $200 and get it from ebay.

[quote name='gizmogc']So they should say 'We don't know' and then have that customer go ABOVE your head and ask the manager. Then above his head and the DM? People WILL do that. They expect to get whatever they want because 'The Customer is always right' bullcrap line fed to them years ago. Be patient. I know, its tough. If you don't like it, pay the extra $200 and get it from ebay.[/QUOTE]

That's what employees should do, yes. And customers shouldn't be so annoying, but that's the world today, and the employees are getting paid to provide customer service. Just tell them we don't know about our shipments until they arrive and tell them what time they can check back to have the best chance of getting one.

I don't have to be patient as I got mine at launch as I had a preorder at Gamestop. Now I'm done with EB/GS until the next hardware launch. :D

My local regional manager created an email waiting list for the Wii. I put my name on it and I received a call about 2 weeks later that my Wii was ready for pick up. Now this list was about 100 long last time I checked somehow I was toward the front of it. If they are doing similar things in your area this may explain why it seems they are "hoarding" Wiis. I used to look down on Gamestop as a company but after this effort they made for me I have changed my opinion. What they did was secure a costumer base sure but they also allowed me to sit on my ass and not wait in lines and be a minute to late for the next few weeks. Getting the Wii was painless and I thank them for that.

yeah ive called 15 different stores in my town. only support i got was toys r us. They said they get packages everyday mon-friday and they have 0 idea whats in them until they get them. I think that sounds horrible for business but at least they told me to call back once a day.

bread's done
Back