Are Metal Slug Anthology and KOF Orochi Collection on PSN?

AndrewCP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I don't have a PSP anymore and was browsing the PSN site on my computer to find certain games like these aren't downloadable and can only be bought on UMD now. Well I'm getting a Vita and have heard that these are available on the store (and especially mentioned in the PS Store thread) so I'd love to know if you access the store on the PSP, if these games are purchaseable. I know about NEOGEO Station and that some of these games are downloadable separately but I'm interested in buying the collections as digital downloads in the near future.

[quote name='AndrewCP']So I don't have a PSP anymore and was browsing the PSN site on my computer to find certain games like these aren't downloadable and can only be bought on UMD now. Well I'm getting a Vita and have heard that these are available on the store (and especially mentioned in the PS Store thread) so I'd love to know if you access the store on the PSP, if these games are purchaseable. I know about NEOGEO Station and that some of these games are downloadable separately but I'm interested in buying the collections as digital downloads in the near future.[/QUOTE]

The Collections are serviceable, but the individual neo geo station releases are true arcade perfect. The collections have horrendous loading time, slight lag, worse controls and blurring that leaves the game off.

However those collections are a cheaper way to getting the games rather then the actual neo geo station releases, and it varies by person on whats more important. More games or arcade perfect emulation with better filtering and no loading.

But I take it the collections are still being sold on the store right (could confirm this info on the website)? The Neo Geo Station versions look pretty good but the collections were enjoyable for me enough when I owned them on UMD. They've got to run better off the memory stick. There's that and no guarantee how many Neo Geo Station releases we're going to see.

I have Metal Slug Anthology, Metal Slug, and Metal Slug 2 all as downloads from PSN. They are all still available. The Anthology doesn't have the option to turn off "smoothing", but it does offer three view modes: 4:3, original pixel (which runs in a much smaller window), and full screen (stretched and distorted, but playable). The standalone games (Metal Slug and Metal Slug 2) are great arcade ports that do offer some additional tweaks, notably you can turn off "smoothing" and get a more original, pixelly look and feel to the game (which is better to me).

Unfortunately Metal Slug X on PSN is a PS1 port, NOT a port of the original arcade game, and there are no other standalone ports like Metal Slug 3, X, 4, 5, and 6 available. But there is Metal Slug XX, a much better port of the original Metal Slug 7 that came out on the DS (better graphics, bigger screen, etc.). All of these are available through PSN still, I just checked the store through my PSP. The Anthology is 19.99 (as is Metal Slug XX), and the standalones are like $7.19 each for PS+ users, 9.00 for non PS+ users.

I still own the Anthology on UMD (as well as Metal Slug XX), but wanted the downloadable Anthology just to have it easily available (and it does load a bit faster, though load times are always an issue with SNK ports).

Great to hear they're on the store but I find it weird you can download only a handful of titles using a PC. Disregarding price, it sounds like the individual releases are superior and ideal but I'm still leaning towards the collections as they're all there (in Metal Slug's case), cheaper, and contain some minor extras. Thanks guys for the info and checking, appreciate it greatly :).

[quote name='AndrewCP']Great to hear they're on the store but I find it weird you can download only a handful of titles using a PC. Disregarding price, it sounds like the individual releases are superior and ideal but I'm still leaning towards the collections as they're all there (in Metal Slug's case), cheaper, and contain some minor extras. Thanks guys for the info and checking, appreciate it greatly :).[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, and I think you can't go wrong getting the Metal Slug Anthology, is really is a great collection of some of the best action/arcade games ever made. You can always look at the individual ones later. This series has always been one of my favorites, still have several original Neo Geo systems, and all the Metal Slug home carts except MS1, plus all the MVS carts except Metal Slug 6 (which was not released as an MVS cart). The animation, hand-drawn background, incredible music and sound effects, and fantastic humor in these games is phenomenal. Its too bad that SNK seems uninterested in continuing the franchise; would be great to see some new versions come out in the future.

Purchased msa umd complete under $9 I own it for ps2 lack of ingame save feature hurt replay value happy psp version offers ingame save feature.

bread's done
Back