Are you buying a 720/Infinity/Nextbox at launch?

The fact that MS isn't distancing themselves from this nitwit just leads more credence to the fact that it's likely true.

It's a sad sight to see. It's like bizarro world where MS wanted to trade places with Sony for a generation and be the arrogant SOBs that don't give a shit about their customer base.

Personally I haven't had a lick of internet trouble for as long as I can remember, and have no issues having a persistent connection but I don't feel comfortable supporting a console that requires it. There are just too many variables and instances that would render the console worthless.

If that and the anti-used games measures are true, hopefully gamers speak with their wallets because a company putting out a system that is so anti-consumer friendly has no business in the gaming industry and needs to be sent a message.

Can you imagine your average sales person selling this if someone asks about it? Hell no. They'll push people towards the PS3 or WiiU.

[quote name='darkcecil32']I have never been less excited about an upcoming console generation as I am with this one.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, pretty much that. What sucks for me is, in addition to not being excited about the upcoming consoles, I'm only mildly interested in mobile/Android gaming, and only slightly moreso in PC gaming.

Like I said earlier...maybe I've just gotten too old for a hobby that targets people younger than I am. Shrug.

[quote name='Mako1215']If it's a online only console then they can go fuck themselves. Ps4/Wii U for me.[/QUOTE]

Won't PS4's cloud gaming require an always-on connection?

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Won't PS4's cloud gaming require an always-on connection?[/QUOTE]

By definition the "cloud" would be online only. From what I've heard is that a lot of that will be used for backwards compatibility of PSN games and to play while they download.

I'm hoping all this shit with MS is a publicity stunt because of all the good talk about Sony lately. If its true then I predict MS is going to have a shitty holiday season.

The "doesn't play used games" thing is especially stupid. Aside from the huge multiplayer games, the majority of people will wait for price drops lim we CAG'S do. I don't think this is going to help the devs of single player games.

There are people that are willing to get Nextbox knowing they have to pay for live so they can have their achievement/friend list/gametag. Also very little impact on their core user base, people who mainly use it for COD/Halo/Madden online.

[quote name='confoosious']I don't know why you guys go batshit crazy and up in arms over RUMORS.

Especially really stupid ones.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I won't be getting one at launch, solely because of (A) my backlog and (B) less time to complete backlog due to family/work. After the 720 is released and my backlog is knocked down a bit I will decide. I'm not gonna get all worked up over rumors, however if they prove to be true it will be a tough decision. Let's not forget we already have a sort of "anti-used" game practice already in place ie; online passes. I could see them expanding that practice into requiring the code to play the game at all. So you could still buy a used game, but then buy the pass at the startup screen like they do now. Either way it sucks. I stopped buying used games and usually only buy new games after they have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in price, $20-$40 max range so I don't mind buying new.

[quote name='confoosious']I don't know why you guys go batshit crazy and up in arms over RUMORS.

I have no idea what this "rumor" is that you speak of. This is not a rumor, it's a quote from a MS executive. He's basically confirming that it's online only so #dealwithit
This gen will not go well for MS. They may back this stuff out at the last second though. They haven't announced yet so I'm sure they're considering it.

OEY5yp8.jpg

[quote name='Blaster man']I have no idea what this "rumor" is that you speak of. This is not a rumor, it's a quote from a MS executive. He's basically confirming that it's online only so #dealwithit
This gen will not go well for MS. They may back this stuff out at the last second though. They haven't announced yet so I'm sure they're considering it.
[/QUOTE]

He's not a Microsoft executive, so no, you're wrong.
In the wake of new purported details about the next Xbox's always-online requirement, Microsoft Studios' creative director has spoken out on Twitter about negative reactions to the prospect.
Adam Orth's tweets are now protected, but a poster on NeoGAF saved them for posterity:

Update: Xbox Live's Major Nelson has posted the following official Microsoft statement regarding Orth's comments:
"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

I believe the general sentiment of this thread is if this ends up being true then people are less interested in buying it. The entire foundation of this thread is based on speculation and rumors so really the discussion about the possible always-on requirement is a natural continuation of that discussion.

[quote name='slickkill77']He's not a Microsoft executive, so no, you're wrong.
In the wake of new purported details about the next Xbox's always-online requirement, Microsoft Studios' creative director has spoken out on Twitter about negative reactions to the prospect.
Adam Orth's tweets are now protected, but a poster on NeoGAF saved them for posterity:

Update: Xbox Live's Major Nelson has posted the following official Microsoft statement regarding Orth's comments:
"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."[/QUOTE]

I've certainly seen plenty of articles calling him an executive and the "creative head" sounds like one as well. An executive isn't JUST a CEO.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah, pretty much that. What sucks for me is, in addition to not being excited about the upcoming consoles, I'm only mildly interested in mobile/Android gaming, and only slightly moreso in PC gaming.

Like I said earlier...maybe I've just gotten too old for a hobby that targets people younger than I am. Shrug.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel many days....but then I consider the fact that I know people 10+ years older than me that still game in whatever limited free time that they have. I find that life just seems to become more and more of a balancing act as I get older, and free time is now a far more precious commodity.

When I do actually set aside/find time to play games, I still find that I really enjoy them. I just don't have that strong overwhelming urge to play games that often, other than once in a blue moon. When I was younger, I'd have that strong desire every day. School was the only impediment back then ;)

This past year, outside of The Last Story and Ni No Kuni [which I had been looking forward to for a LONG time], I can't readily recall what other games I've really played (there's a few more, I'm sure, but memory fails me). My playing has been steadily trending downwards these past few years, but I feel like I'm starting to get at a major crossroads. Maybe I'll just, *gasp*, become a casual gamer, if that's not what I'm considered already...

[quote name='darkcecil32']That's how I feel many days....but then I consider the fact that I know people 10+ years older than me that still game in whatever limited free time that they have. I find that life just seems to become more and more of a balancing act as I get older, and free time is now a far more precious commodity.

When I do actually set aside/find time to play games, I still find that I really enjoy them. I just don't have that strong overwhelming urge to play games that often, other than once in a blue moon. When I was younger, I'd have that strong desire every day. School was the only impediment back then ;)

This past year, outside of The Last Story and Ni No Kuni [which I had been looking forward to for a LONG time], I can't readily recall what other games I've really played (there's a few more, I'm sure, but memory fails me). My playing has been steadily trending downwards these past few years, but I feel like I'm starting to get at a major crossroads. Maybe I'll just, *gasp*, become a casual gamer, if that's not what I'm considered already...[/QUOTE]

This sums it up nicely. I'm curious about the new consoles but there's nothing I have to get right away. I can't keep up anymore - there are too many great games that I want to play and not nearly enough time - and they are all way too long.

[quote name='Javery']This sums it up nicely. I'm curious about the new consoles but there's nothing I have to get right away. I can't keep up anymore - there are too many great games that I want to play and not nearly enough time - and they are all way too long.[/QUOTE]

Basically me as well. Last year the only games I got at release were Mass Effect 3, NHL 13(what a mistake that was) and Halo 4, and the only game I'm even considering at release this year is GTA V. Nothing about the next gen so far makes me excited for it.

[quote name='Blaster man']I have no idea what this "rumor" is that you speak of. This is not a rumor, it's a quote from a MS executive. He's basically confirming that it's online only so #dealwithit

OEY5yp8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I don't know about you guys but this clearly says the new xbox will be always connected. I mean look at that post!!

I bet if he posted about getting some milk and eggs at the store it would mean the new xbox had milk and eggs in it too!

:whistle2:|

[quote name='Superstar']Yeah - I don't know about you guys but this clearly says the new xbox will be always connected. I mean look at that post!!

I bet if he posted about getting some milk and eggs at the store it would mean the new xbox had milk and eggs in it too!

:whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

Well... this is the guy who saw a quote from Gabe Newell about how he expects PCs for the living room to start shipping this year, and decided that this was enough to consider as an official confirmation that the Steambox is coming in 2013.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334068
The conversation isn't there anymore, but the thread got really interesting when the xi3 piston was announced.

Really, the nextbox could be always connected and it could not... this twitter exchange really doesn't say much of anything about it. It's really just about a guy who's arguing with people who are against the whole always-online idea. You could argue that, as a high-level Microsoft employee, the moment he had anything to say about always-online can be taken as some sort of validation, but most people don't really consider that to be a true-blue method of confirmation.

[quote name='iamsmart']Well... this is the guy who saw a quote from Gabe Newell about how he expects PCs for the living room to start shipping this year, and decided that this was enough to consider as an official confirmation that the Steambox is coming in 2013.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334068
The conversation isn't there anymore, but the thread got really interesting when the xi3 piston was announced.

Really, the nextbox could be always connected and it could not... this twitter exchange really doesn't say much of anything about it. It's really just about a guy who's arguing with people who are against the whole always-online idea.[/QUOTE]

When I see insider's saying things, I have to take it seriously. You can certainly say it's not happening until the official announcement if you want. BTW, looks like the prototypes of steambox will be out in a couple of months.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/valve-steam-box-release-date-news-and-features-1127072

Steam Box release date

Although we do know that the Steam Box will go on sale this year, we don't have a precise release date yet.
Newell suggested at the Bafta gaming event that Steam Box prototype units would begin to be tested in around July 2013.
But don't expect the first Steam Boxes to arrive with the fanfare of a new console launch. They're a new trend, rather than a brand new machine, but they might turn out to have more of an influence on gaming than anything else over the next few years.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Next Xbox reveal due 21st May, costs $500 or $300 with a subscription, reports suggest

Just called "Xbox."[/QUOTE]

People were bitching about the brand confusion with 3DS and Wii U, now we're left with the exact same name as a previous version, not to mention the removal of part of the title? This thing is gonna confuse the hell out of people, even more than Wii U and 3DS did. They should go ahead and have some hue of green as their game cases as well...

Holy crap, lol. I hope that article is a late April Fool's joke because that makes it sound like the worst system ever. Jesus! I'm glad my backlog is huge. I've got plenty of time to let these idiot game companies figure out what consumers actually want and change their launch strategy entirely.

With the alway online and lack of used games support rumors, when, not if, when this generation falls flat on its face the execs will blame mobile and social gaming.

[quote name='perdition(troy']There is no way that they would go with the $500 price point...its just not possible imo.[/QUOTE]

It would be insane.

When are these companies going to realize that the loyalists are a dying breed? This generation I preferred the 360 to the PS3 by a factor of 10 but that doesn't mean jack when the next generation comes around.

[quote name='Corvin']With the alway online and lack of used games support rumors, when, not if, when this generation falls flat on its face the execs will blame mobile and social gaming.[/QUOTE]

Yup...and PC gamers will take credit for it, lol :lol:

[quote name='perdition(troy']There is no way that they would go with the $500 price point...its just not possible imo.[/QUOTE]

Why not? People said the same thing about Sony pricing the PS3 but they did it anyway. It's amazing to me how a company thinks that just because they came out on top in one generation that their sh&t don't stink and they can do whatever they want in the next and they'll be bulletproof.

Maybe this is all a setup so that when they announce the real thing, everyone will be so super happy that it isn't always online, and DOES allow used games, that they won't notice that it doesn't really add much over the 360 and is a waste of time. ;)

[quote name='keithp']Why not? People said the same thing about Sony pricing the PS3 but they did it anyway. It's amazing to me how a company thinks that just because they came out on top in one generation that their sh&t don't stink and they can do whatever they want in the next and they'll be bulletproof.[/QUOTE]

One would hope MS would learn from what happened from Sony (from first to third in US sales in one generation)--but big companies tend to be dumb/blinded by greed so who knows.

No chance that I'll buy near launch after Microsoft released such a horrible design last time.

And with these only online/no used game rumors, I want to see how this plays out for a while anyway.

[quote name='crunchewy']Maybe this is all a setup so that when they announce the real thing, everyone will be so super happy that it isn't always online, and DOES allow used games, that they won't notice that it doesn't really add much over the 360 and is a waste of time. ;)[/QUOTE]

And not only that, people will be so overjoyed they'll overlook the $500 pricetag on top of it!

That's the suspicion I've had...it may not be true, but I'm not ruling anything out. Certainly if it has no-used/always-online enabled, I'll be out. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes down.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yup...and PC gamers will take credit for it, lol :lol:[/QUOTE]

There's actually a lot of truth to that. A lot of the younger crowd who started off gaming on the XBox or 360 are now old enough to afford their own computers. I would imagine that a lot of them are now transitioning into PC gaming thanks to services like Steam. (which provide console convenience married with PC hardware)

The average game consumer is never going to be as loyal as most of these companies hope. If the brand doesn't deliver, former fans will jump ship very quickly.

I won't pick up a next-gen console for another couple of years. With the size of my backlog, I'd just be wasting money if I decide to get a new console at the end of this year. It's not even that big of a backlog (about 15 games), but I just don't have that much time to dedicate to gaming. Who knows, I may not get another console at all.

it's looking like the "always on" for gaming actually applies to the rumored $99 Xbox 360 console since it doesn't have an optical drive and is meant to counter AppleTV, Google TV, Roku, etc.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

Microsoft is working hard in its new strategy for the next years. The company wants to expand its Xbox brand with two new Xbox. One would be next-gen, the other one would be a new redesign for Xbox 360. Take in mind the Wii Mini, MS would like to offer something similar to Nintendo. This cheap model would be focused as a set top box product, although you will be able to load games too, but the games should be load directly from the HDD. This Xbox wouldn’t have disc drive.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That would be welcome news if true. I can imagine the "Xbox mini" slotting into Durango like a 32X. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Is it sad I thought that also. Then I thought of the Sega CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay look, it the 720 can replace my cable box and has ALL the channels available to it with a coax in cable maybe it would be a buy for me even at $500. I'm paying $11.99 a month for my HD cable box so I could save $144 a year if I could dump that box.

If its just taking in the cable box signal and routing it through the 720 for some extra features that will be a lot harder sell. MAYBE it would still be worth it if it had easy DRV functionality and a GIANT HDD. What I really want is to save $144 a year on the cable box rental. Even at $500 the 720 would pay for itself through cable box savings in 3.5 years. I could even see a justification for the subsidized model at that point since I'm already renting a shitty cable box.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/4/10/4208970/next-xbox-tv-entertainment-plans

The question I'm curious about is -- if you're going to be playing XBLA games on the new Durango, are you going to need the "mini Xbox" if they were produced for the 360? Or is the "mini box" only for disc-based 360 backwards compatability?

I can't imagine the only XBLA games you'll be able to play on the Durango are Durango-only...but you never know.

completely different architecture so you would need the 360 in order to play any 360 games.

however, many XBLA titles (and ALL XBLIG titles) are programmed high level and if that's the case, it would be a fairly easy task to recompile them to work with the next Xbox. however, most commercial retail boxed titles use low-level programming (to extract as much performance out of the 360) and those cannot just be recompiled.

the rumors of a unified Xbox Live are decently strong. that 360 and next Xbox owners can coexist peacefully on the same network. Microsoft finally has a strong ecosystem and they're not going to tear it down to start over. It's not the same situation as with the original Xbox Live which was not modular and not easily upgradable.

bread's done
Back