Are you F-ing serious? (Tales of the overpriced)

Methadon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ok, I haven't seen a thread like this yet, so I thought I'd start one.

I was in Best Buy the other day, and despite not owning a HD-DVD player, I figured I'd look at their selection anyway. To my surprise, Star-Trek - Season One was available. I thought it odd that it was 9 (iirc) discs, but then saw it was "combo-format" so it made more sense. Then I looked at the price.... $179.99!!

Lesse, $180 for JUST the first season, which was 24 episodes (again, iirc). I read that the "ship shots" and other things have been given a CGI facelift, but seriously.

I wouldn't really consider myself a Star Trek fan (I liked TNG, but hated all the rest, for some reason), but I wouldn't even pay $180 for all 6 seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which is my *favorite* show.

I saw Bullet Witch for 360 the other day at the store with a 59.99 price on it, so I figured I'd check it to see how low the clearance must be on it... it was still 59.

That's just... wrong.

Basically, anytime you walk into an FYE game section, in a store that isn't going out of business and/or has their games on clearance. $50 for MLB 2K7 is awesome.

I saw the thread title and thought this would be a thread about the "Tales of" series being overpriced...so without further ado:

It surprises me that Tales of the Abyss is still 40 bucks most places. I was thinking of getting it as a gift for a friend who really liked the game....but not for 40 bucks.

[quote name='bfauble83']Gas is overpriced...[/quote]

Speaking of that... I use 76 gas and everywhere here their gas is about $3.15, but there's an idiot selling it for $3.49

He won't be around much longer...

Check this one out:
Code:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=640918

I wanted to thread crap him for it, but I wouldn't out of principal. Here's what came with it:
  • AV Cables
  • Wireless Controller
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Crackdown
  • The fan add-on that has VGA/Component/Composite/USB outs
  • X-Sata
  • Halo 3 adhesieve skin
  • Flashed firmware (play backups)
  • X-clamp replacement (prevent RRoD)
And here's what DIDN'T come with it
  • LIVE functionality (banned)
  • NO hard drive
Dude wanted $500 for it. For those who didn't have numbers handy, here's the rundown:
  • $20 Call of Duty 2
  • $30 Crackdown (cheapest I found)
  • $15 Perfect Dark Zero (or you can TRU clearance for $5)
  • $30 X-Sata
  • $50 Ugly Halo 3 skin
  • $10 Parts for RRoD fix
  • $280 Xbox 360 Arcade (with MU, 5 games, wireless controller + AV/HDMI)
Ok, so I could buy his used, meory unit-less, banned combo for $500, or buy everything in the combo NEW, enjoy Xbox Live and have an HDMI port, as well as an option to save my games, and pay LESS. I'd also forgo the ugly H3 skins :p

[quote name='Kauza']I saw the thread title and thought this would be a thread about the "Tales of" series being overpriced...so without further ado:

It surprises me that Tales of the Abyss is still 40 bucks most places. I was thinking of getting it as a gift for a friend who really liked the game....but not for 40 bucks.[/quote]
I immediately thought the exact same thing

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I was at a pawn shop the other day... they had two of the three BK games behind a glass shelf, at $10 each... and used! :dunce:[/QUOTE]

I see that all that time at pawn shops oddly enough, along with 125 dollar fat ps2s. Though not game related I think the pawn shops around here are just overpriced period,99 dollar 4 mp digital camera just struck me as wtf material

[quote name='VipFREAK']Speaking of that... I use 76 gas and everywhere here their gas is about $3.15, but there's an idiot selling it for $3.49

He won't be around much longer...[/QUOTE]

What is 76 gas?

[quote name='Kauza']I saw the thread title and thought this would be a thread about the "Tales of" series being overpriced...so without further ado:

It surprises me that Tales of the Abyss is still 40 bucks most places. I was thinking of getting it as a gift for a friend who really liked the game....but not for 40 bucks.[/QUOTE]

TotA won't get lower than $30. Even if it does, it will be sold out way before.

I got mine for $29.99 at Walmart, and I was thankful.

76 the gas station chain.

i recently got into videogame site and ebay trading/selling/buying, and damn...after some of the deals i've come across, GS/EB are just plain pirates. but it's fun to wander around electronics clearance sections to see obsolete technology being liquidated because nobody in their right mind would buy them for any price.

still, it was priceless seeing a stack of 1gb sony usb drives for 9.99 each at target when an isle over there was a "clearance" 128 MB flash drive for 7.84.

this one pawn shop in town is way overpriced on everything..

but FYEs in general.. or virgin megastores.. those 2 have terrible terrible prices.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']What is 76 gas?[/quote]

76truckee.jpg

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']What is 76 gas?[/QUOTE]

They have the giant orange M&M candy as their sign, never seen one? Maybe its a north thing?

[quote name='Snake2715']They have the giant orange M&M candy as their sign, never seen one? Maybe its a north thing?[/QUOTE]

My favorite has always been the Conoco with the PB mags on the stands.

We can't forget Phillips 66.

Both those places suck.

Funny because they are the same company:

http://www.conocophillips.com/

Anyone remember Stop N Go?

I think the most overpriced game is Genji for PS3 because it's still sixty-fucking-dollars everywhere around me. :bomb:

[quote name='Snake2715']They have the giant orange M&M candy as their sign, never seen one? Maybe its a north thing?[/QUOTE]

I am about as north as you can get, right now I can see Canada looking out my office window.

darn... i was all set to make a link to Kohl's gaming site, but they've stripped it down to resonabley priced greatest hits titles. a few months ago they had a ton of games, but it was stuff like Tiger Woods 4 for PS2 for $79.99... it was hilarious. oh well...

Gamestop sells Ultimate Alliance for 17.99 used, Forza 2 for 29.99 used, but the combined package of both for 19.99 used...wtf?

[quote name='opportunity777']TotA won't get lower than $30. Even if it does, it will be sold out way before.

I got mine for $29.99 at Walmart, and I was thankful.[/quote]

Tota is $19.99 now at Walmart. It is YMMV (not the price, but availability) but if you went to 4 walmarts I would be willing to bet you could find it. Better yet, just go to the zip code search and head down the list calling them.

[quote name='opportunity777']TotA won't get lower than $30. Even if it does, it will be sold out way before.

I got mine for $29.99 at Walmart, and I was thankful.[/quote]

I picked up both Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Legendia at my Kmart recently one of them was 3 bucks and the other one was 12 - I can't remember which was which off the top of my head though.

[quote name='eliter1']
went to gamestop last weekend and the had the Marvel/Forxa bundle for
89.99!!:hot::bomb: WTF are they thinking:hot::bomb:
[/quote]

Seriously? #-o

[quote name='extzed']I picked up both Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Legendia at my Kmart recently one of them was 3 bucks and the other one was 12 - I can't remember which was which off the top of my head though.[/quote]
Legendia was 3.

[quote name='schuerm26']Tota is $19.99 now at Walmart. It is YMMV (not the price, but availability) but if you went to 4 walmarts I would be willing to bet you could find it. Better yet, just go to the zip code search and head down the list calling them.[/QUOTE]

You are lucky :)

My Walmarts are horrible.

some stores still sell Vampire Rain for the 360 for $59.99

they should be paying you for clearing that up on their shelves :)

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I was at a pawn shop the other day... they had two of the three BK games behind a glass shelf, at $10 each... and used! :dunce:[/quote]

The one guy at a flea market here who has games, movies and CDs for sale wanted $40 each for them for a while, till he found out he got ripped off when someone sold them to him and he paid $15 each. #-o#-o

He still has them for $12 each, as of the last time I was looking around his stand though. #-o#-o#-o#-o

Oh and Methadon, for a while the first season of La Femme Nikita was $80-90 and that was on plain old DVD. The season boxsets are expensive and just NOT worth it, unless you plan on watching them TONS of times.

I have The Boondocks Season 1, Pinky & The Brain Vol. 1, Aqua Teen Hunger Force(either vol 3 or 4) and I think one other tv DVD set. I think I've watched each one maybe ONCE each. I'm tempted to trade them to FYE for whatever they'll give me.

[quote name='Porksta']Not to change the topic, but its not.[/QUOTE]

are you driving a prius or some hybrid shit? otherwise I wouldn't be surprised.

[quote name='Zhanmadao']are you driving a prius or some hybrid shit? otherwise I wouldn't be surprised.[/quote]

I drive a a 2.4L 4-cylinder car and $20 gets me by the whole week just fine... I drive a lot, too.

[quote name='Methadon']I drive a a 2.4L 4-cylinder car and $20 gets me by the whole week just fine... I drive a lot, too.[/QUOTE]

I see, I'm paying Super gas weekly (91 Octane) which hits you back 70 per week.

[quote name='Zhanmadao']I see, I'm paying Super gas weekly (91 Octane) which hits you back 70 per week.[/quote]

I only use 93-octane, personally.

I live in a town of 5,555 and it neighbors a town of like 13,000. They are basically joint cities, anyways, in one of the crap ass malls we have, there is this video game stores featuring all last gen stuff all the way back to the NES. They want like $15 for some NES titles (COMMON ONES like DUCK HUNT!). I have no idea how they have been in business for almost 2 years either, as they never seem to sell anything. Mall rent in that place is cheap because the Super Wal-mart, Best Buy, Target, and Home Depot drove away their business... so I wonder if it's just some rich guy showing off his collection of overpriced games. If I opened a store in there I could make them look bad, but not put them out of business since no one hardly shops in the mall anymore. I remember 10 years ago when they used to have an arcade, a movie theater, and wall to wall people in there! Thanks big business for ruining my town!

[quote name='Methadon']
I was in Best Buy the other day, and despite not owning a HD-DVD player, I figured I'd look at their selection anyway. To my surprise, Star-Trek - Season One was available. I thought it odd that it was 9 (iirc) discs, but then saw it was "combo-format" so it made more sense. Then I looked at the price.... $179.99!!

Lesse, $180 for JUST the first season, which was 24 episodes (again, iirc). I read that the "ship shots" and other things have been given a CGI facelift, but seriously.

I wouldn't really consider myself a Star Trek fan (I liked TNG, but hated all the rest, for some reason), but I wouldn't even pay $180 for all 6 seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which is my *favorite* show.[/quote]

Give it time, BB is supposed to be dumping HD-DVD soon & marking down all the HD-DVD crap they has left.

As for stuff I've seen overpriced. The pawn shop I usually get games from has had a disc only copy of Dead or Alive Ultimate(Xbox) for $24.99 for two years. I've asked about lowering the price and they're firm with the price, guess they like having it on display then. This is the same pawn shop I picked up Skies of Arcadia Legends(GC) w/o a manual for $10, so their pricing is confusing.

bread's done
Back