Are you going with rechargeable batteries? Too many damn choices.

Kendro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
64 (100%)
I completely forgot about the battery situation for the Wiimote, especially since the VC controller will be using power from it as well. Now I'm thinking it is a great thing I haven't picked up the 360 Play and Charge Kit because now I can just use rechargeable batteries for it as well. I've done some digging and found some products but have no idea which ones are good.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries-Adapter/dp/B0000DC4EO/sr=8-1/qid=1163186889/ref=sr_1_1/102-7405774-3183326?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Power-Charger-Ni-MH-Batteries/dp/B00012F7HS/sr=8-2/qid=1163186889/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-7405774-3183326?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

I noticed the Energizer has 2500 mAh while the Sony has 2100 mAh but I have no idea WTF any of that means.

[quote name='Kendro']I completely forgot about the battery situation for the Wiimote, especially since the VC controller will be using power from it as well. Now I'm thinking it is a great thing I haven't picked up the 360 Play and Charge Kit because now I can just use rechargeable batteries for it as well. I've done some digging and found some products but have no idea which ones are good.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries-Adapter/dp/B0000DC4EO/sr=8-1/qid=1163186889/ref=sr_1_1/102-7405774-3183326?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Power-Charger-Ni-MH-Batteries/dp/B00012F7HS/sr=8-2/qid=1163186889/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-7405774-3183326?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

I noticed the Energizer has 2500 mAh while the Sony has 2100 mAh but I have no idea WTF any of that means.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong-- one of the best buy associates explained this to me a long time ago, but I think 2500 mAh is better than 2100 mAh because it holds more power.

(googling... correct)
mAh stands for Milliamp Hour, a technical term for how much power a particular battery will hold. Digital camera batteries with higher mAh values theoretically last longer without requiring a recharge, allowing you to take more photographs before you have to replace your batteries.

It is recommended when placing batteries in a digital camera that their mAh values match. Otherwise, it is possible that one lesser mAh battery will drain before the others, causing extra strain on the remaining batteries or causing your digital camera to not work until all batteries are replaced.

I have those same energizers with the packin charger. The charger is nice because it folds up to store away smaller, compared to my kodak one I use for my camera, which is big and bulky and gets thrown in my camera bag to store. Mine didn't have a car charger, though, but I doubt I'd use it anyway.

mAh (mili amps per hour) basically tells you how long they will last before you have to recharch them. I'd go with the energizers.

Yeah, it's basically battery capacity. Smart idea investing in rechargeable AAs, it saves me a ton of money these days between all of my remotes, controllers, and wireless mice/keyboards.

But are the mAh ones only good for digital cameras and MP3 players? Is it advised to get "normal" rechargeable batteries for the Wiimote?

"Normal" rechargeable batteries? What do you mean? mAh is a measure of charge capacity, not what type of chemistry is in the battery. Most rechargeable AA's are nickel metal hydride, and can be used in basically any device that uses AA's. Rechargeable nickel cadmium batteries are on the way out and should be avoided.

Also, since rechargeable batteries lose a bit of power every day, you should use alkaline batteries for devices that you would need in emergencies: smoke/fire detectors, flashlights, radios, etc.

As for rechargeable batteries, I like MAHA PowerEx batteries. Also be sure to get a high-quality charger.

You wanted to buy Sony batteries for your Wiimote?!?!

You can just buy cheap Walgreens batteries and recharge them, even through they say not to on the battery. I have done that with the GBA and the Wavebird without any issues.

There's some place Strell recommends for getting batteries. I checked their once and they had great prices. Hopefully he'll come in here and remind us where they are.

[quote name='David85']You wanted to buy Sony batteries for your Wiimote?!?!

You can just buy cheap Walgreens batteries and recharge them, even through they say not to on the battery. I have done that with the GBA and the Wavebird without any issues.[/quote]Wait, you're recharging regular alkaline batteries? If you've done this a lot, you've gotten very lucky. If you continue to do this, I hope you like cleaning up battery acid when those things rupture in your charger, or worse, your device(s).

I believe the Strell-approved place for buying batteries online is http://www.batteryspace.com/

[quote name='munch']There's some place Strell recommends for getting batteries. I checked their once and they had great prices. Hopefully he'll come in here and remind us where they are.[/QUOTE]

UNPOSSIBLE.

[quote name='daroga']
I believe the Strell-approved place for buying batteries online is http://www.batteryspace.com/[/QUOTE]

THESE MEN SPEAK LIES.

LIES I TELL YOU.

LIES.

I'll buy the cheapest most backwards batteries ever. Actually, I've got a large supply of AA due to a rather light hurricane season.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']For some reason, I thought the Wii Remote was rechargeable. This is stupid.

Worst. System. Ever.[/quote]I thought it was rechargeable as well. Huh. Not enough for me to hate the system, but a bit unkewl.

So... what are the best batteries/rechargets for the best price? I looked up stuff about this a long time ago and got very confused by the amount of testing and charts.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']For some reason, I thought the Wii Remote was rechargeable. This is stupid.

Worst. System. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Not this shit again.

There are countless reasons why this is a good thing.

Shut up.

[quote name='Strell']Not this shit again.

There are countless reasons why this is a good thing.

Shut up.[/QUOTE]

I think you are the one who should shut up, sir! In fact, I challenge you to a duel! I shall defend the merits of rechargeable batteries with my life!

HAVE AT YOU!

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I think you are the one who should shut up, sir! In fact, I challenge you to a duel! I shall defend the merits of rechargeable batteries with my life!

HAVE AT YOU![/QUOTE]

Well.....

Humor: Strell 1, BtT 0.

[quote name='furyk']Well.....

Humor: Strell 1, BtT 0.[/QUOTE]

Humor aside, I'm serously offended, though! There's no way regular batteries are better.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']And I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.[/QUOTE]

HOW APPROPRIATE.

YOU FIGHT LIKE A COW!

[quote name='furyk']Ok. That made me chuckle.[/QUOTE]

All for you. ;)

Strell - enlighten us, please. I feel sad knowing I don't know....something.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']All for you. ;)

Strell - enlighten us, please. I feel sad knowing I don't know....something.[/quote]
I'll try it:

Rechargeable battery dies, gotta charge it up and stop playing.

Play-n-charge kit you say? You go ahead and swing that controller around while it's tethered to your system. I'll go with batteries. :)

[quote name='Z-Saber']Remember that one time, when this thread was about batteries?

Good times.[/QUOTE]

Remember this one time we had a hundred other threads about batteries a few weeks back?

[quote name='furyk']Remember this one time we had a hundred other threads about batteries a few weeks back?[/quote]nop sher dont

Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
First you better stop waiving it like a battery.

I am incredibly bored on a frozen snowy WI night. I had some rechargeables for my digicam that were energizers from walmart or sams club. It was ~$20 for 4 with travel charger. Im going to have to purchases some with wiimote and 360 wifi eating regular ones.

[quote name='Kaijufan']So does anyone have any recomendations for a charger and batteries from Strell's site?[/quote].

[quote name='Kaijufan']So does anyone have any recomendations for a charger and batteries from Strell's site?[/QUOTE]

I pimp out the big mama. It can do four at a time for all common sizes (even 9V!) and has a discharge/recharge feature, which is nice if you put 4 rechargeable batteries in something and want to make sure they all are even.

There are bundle deals. I got the above + AAA, AA, C, and D batteries to the tune of about 50 + shipping I believe.

'Course, that's if your super anal about things, and this just happens to be one of my things. So you can get one of the smaller ones that's cheaper and doesn't have all the bells and whistles (besides, I imagine they are largely the same). The only thing I can think of is "smart charging" that can keep from overcharging a battery, which I suppose is bad. But it looks like all of these can do that, so ehh.

So that all said, I'm sure this baby would do the trick for most people, and it works in 2-3 hours, which makes it quite helpful for Wiimote/Wavebirds/other-non Wiimote and Wavebird things.

Here's the charge + cells bundle page, and they have all sorts. Here's a small one with 8 AA's for $19.

I figure this place is a steal. 4 rechargeable batteries at the store can be 8-10 bucks alone. That is robbery, my friends.

Anyway, this place kicks total ass, and I really don't think you could go wrong with any of their stuff. Their batteries have high mAh ratings and will last. I've got plenty in things from alarm clocks to remotes to Wavebirds to...more Wavebirds.

So happy chargin', peoples.

I'd stay away from the Energizer, I had one and it suddenly quit working. I replaced it with a brand new one, and it broke a few days later.

I need a new one for my Wii.

If you walk into an Ace Hardware on Black Friday, you can get a 30 pack of Rayovac AA's for $5

Is it worth it to get rechargeable batteries? I was thinking of just getting some Energizer batteries and replace after 60 hours of use. It could add up in the end, but don't rechargeable batteries lose their longevity every time they get charged? Just curious.

[quote name='musicnoteless']Is it worth it to get rechargeable batteries? I was thinking of just getting some Energizer batteries and replace after 60 hours of use. It could add up in the end, but don't rechargeable batteries lose their longevity every time they get charged? Just curious.[/quote]I've got some older rechagables that are still doing alright, although they're starting to fail fast. But they're about 2 years old.

For now, I think I'm just going to grab a 12 pack or so of the Rayovac batteries. I've used them a lot in my Wavebirds, etc., with no problems, they're way cheaper than the bigger name brands and seem to be about as good. Rechargeables are more cost effective, but who wants to risk forgetting to charge things in the middle of a Zelda marathon the first week? ;)

From ButtonBashers.com:
"IGN’s dedicated Wii section has the news that the Nintendo Wii controller, the famous Wii-mote, will last up to 60 hours on 1 charge of 2 AA batteries in the basic motion-sensing mode, and up to 30 hours in the hi-resolution “directional” mode of tracking, which can detect where on screen you’re pointing the Wii-mote."

For batteries, we normally see output voltage rating (Volts) and charge capacity (mAH) in the specs. If you're dealing with rechargeable AA, just note that they typically have an output voltage of 1.25V. Non-rechargeables AA have 1.5V.

As you can see, the output voltage rating is really not a big concern assuming that the Wii-mote can work with the minimum of 1.25V, and also assuming that the battery is capable of maintaining this voltage during its use.

In terms of charge, the charge capacity also varies depending on the technology type: NimH, NiCd, or LiOn. This is where you get your different charge capacity rating. In terms of the Wii-mote, let's just say that the higher the charge capacity, the longer you don't have to change the battery.

Bottom line, in terms of picking the battery for your Wii-mote, you'll mainly look for the charge capacity (mAH).

Where can you find the charge capacity rating on batteries?
Normally, they are not given on the battery package. One way to find it is by going to the manufacturer's website or just try to find it on Google or Amazon.

I suggest using the following AA batteries:
Energizer e2 Photo Lithium
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-AA-Lithium-Photo-Battery/dp/B00003IEME/sr=1-1/qid=1163341932/ref=sr_1_1/104-4610602-7988738?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

These batteries seem to have a higher charge capacity rating compared to the other Energizer batteries (3000 mAh vs. 2500 mAh).

Im thinking of getting the ones strell posted here seems like a great price for what its worth, but is there anyhting else I would need to know about rechargeable batteries? chargine precautions, usage, blahblahblah?

or these

bread's done
Back