Arguments against the digital distribution of media

Photomotoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
In this digital age it is becoming more and more common to see media like music, movies, books and games move away from being sold in physical forms and more in digital formats.

I want to know what you guys think about all this. Judging from the thread title it should be fairly obvious that I am against the idea of it.

There are many reasons a person could have for wanting physical copies and many of them are in reality arguments that are not really reasonable. Arguments such that sounds something along the lines of "I just want to have it", it just seems to enforce the idea that people who want to have physical copies of media are either; obsessive about having possessions or material goods or the people have some sort of technology related fear.

More reasonable arguments are ones such as the idea that a person may think that if the media in question is only obtainable in one location(XBLA games, Wii console, Steam) and are not copyable that once the service in question is offline they are left without said media. This argument is fair, but it seems like something that is not an imminent issue, it is something that only affects people over the longterm and it has not been really seen yet what truly happens in such a situation.

The best argument I see is that of resale. In most, if not all cases of digital media; you cannot resell the thing you paid for or even return it. Say you buy an Xbox 360, and you buy a bunch of games from XBLA. If you do not like some of them after a while there is nothing you can do, you can not make any of the money back, and in the case of the Microsoft Points it complicates things even more since you are buying the points not the game. Let's say you sell the console, your account with all those games is worthless and will add nothing to the consoles resell price. You can spend $100 on retail games on launch day and a month later maybe get back $60 of it. But spend any amount on most digital media and you could not get a penny back.

Now, games that are on XBLA and even the games on the VC are really not the issues here. Those games are cheap(Adds up though) and most of the time you know if you will like something or not. What concerns me are games like Warhawk and games on Steam. Buying games that retail $50 or so dollars seems like a dangerous idea in the sense that if you dislike the game or it does not work(Steam) you could be facing hundreds of dollars in loss over some period of time.

Example : You buy HL2 from Steam. Your computer specs are too low. What now?

Sell it? Nope. You can "Gift it", but good luck finding a buyer. You can sell your account, assuming you have only the one game.

Return it? Impossible.

So you are stuck with it.

Another scenario, the service where you bought your game goes down. In the case of Steam you are screwed, they 'might' release patches that make the game not rely on Steam but would they have that for the game install too? For XBox games you are fine until the console dies and you try to get your content back. The situation is not as bad for consoles as it is for PCs, yet.

Consoles are going more and more toward a PC standard with things like installs and patches becoming more and more common. Just imagine the consoles as a PC that has a standardized hardware configuration and OS. The PS3 looks like that already, with installs being common and features like a browser and keyboard/mouse support.

The previous scenarios are console specific and do not really apply to things like music, movies and books. The main reason this is true is because there are methods to copying that media easily. More and more is being to make this false but there will always be something to counteract that, or so I hope.

With a console game you cannot copy a game, digital or not, and have it work on an unmodified console.

Digital distribution also kills the second-hand market, this goes hand in hand with reselling. If there is a fully digital market you would never be able to buy something 'below-retail' you would be at the whim of the distributor. You can bet that there would be a scant few. With a product that has not physical footprint it is all to easy to restrict it's sale within certain criteria. My point for this argument : forget this site, CAG is obsolete.

Scenario : A developer makes a game and sends it off to a distributer. They have the option to release in retail. They don't. Digital saves money on packaging, printing discs. All they do is upload some code and modify a site. Really, no cost for them. They price the game at $50. And that is it. They leave it at that price for a year, until the sequel hits. They then lower the price to $40 to drive sales. They have a lot less reason to lower prices, they have no 'inventory' to move. There is no wasted space in some warehouse. The only reason to lower the price is to temporarily drive sales. This is true for all price drops but in this situation there is only one reason to drive sales and that is profit, not clearance.

What I am saying is that we should be careful. But maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it since I am conceited. What do you guys think?

Is this the way things are going?

Going to go?

Should be going?

Too long to read?

P.S. I may have missed a point or two. It's a bit late so I didn't really work out my arguments that well.

I still don't know how I feel about digital distribution. On one side you have great advantages like
  • all in one place
  • don't have to change discs
  • don't have to go hunting to find the game
  • should be cheaper than retail - though not always is
with not having to change discs being my biggest plus to it. When I'm really bored I can have a short attention span, so it's nice being able to hop from one VC game to the next without changing discs.

On the other side, you have several lame disadvantages
  • DRM issues
  • Can't resell
  • Very little, if any, sales
  • Don't technically own the game
  • Screwed if distribution method goes away
Being completely screwed if the distribution service is gone is by far the worst of the disadvantages. At the same time, currently I've only bought XBLA or VC games, so those aren't super duper omg terrible if they are lost, since each one is priced about the same as a rental. Losing full retail games would be a whole different situation.

Eventually, digital distribution will probably take over. Hopefully when that happens there are better systems in place for distribution and they will have also been made cheaper.

Ryu,

Here is my problem. You listed the often times given arguments why gamers should like digital distribution. Here is the problem:
I don't care if my games are all in one place. I have them organized in a room, so I can find anything I want within a minute.

Changing discs often takes seconds to do, so I don't mind

Hunting for the game - same as the first

Cheaper - maybe - but as you said, not always.

Really, in my opinion, there are no reasons that digital beats the traditional methods for the average gamer, unless you are willing to give a hefty discount.

But, look at it from the manufacturing side

1) Don't have to split profits with retailers
2) Don't have to spend all the money on packaging - etc (sure, there is server space, etc, but that is much cheaper
3) You effectively destroy the used market - everyone that wants your game has to buy it new from you at whatever price you want to sell it for.

As much as we all rag Gamestop, used games help the prices go down. I remember back in the SNES days when games would consistantly be 4-5 years old and retail at the full price. We see that now on XBLA, a few games have had discounts, but not nearly as fast as non digital brothers.

Overall, I'm very much against this move, but I think it's only a matter of time until it happens.

What I fear is that, eventually, they will try to push more of a "rental" service upon people. Why should you be allowed to pay for a game one time, and then play it for years and years? If you are going to keep replaying it, then you should give the developer more money, since you got more than the expected use out of it. Don't think this is so far fetched, in MBA schools across the country, this is a topic that gets talked about (finding ways to charge people who really enjoy your products more).

I'm not a huge fan but I'm not completely against it either. I do kind of appreciate the convenience factor that it provides. I don't like that I can't resell the game if and when I'm done with it though. I actually kind of like the current climate where the bigger games are disc based where as the smaller games are virtual. I think the big deciding factor will be next gen for those virtual console, PSN, and XBOX Live Arcade games. Will we be able to "keep" them and play them on the next-gen newer hardware or are we basically paying for an extended rental?

The good thing about our CDs or DVDs is that there is a way to buy a physical copy and then convert it to a file. It's nice to have those options. It would be cool if we could do something similar with our games. I think given the current climate its too early to call out as being a good or a bad thing. It would be nice for them to come up with some sort of a system for "trading in" "reselling" or "discounting" some of these games in the future. Time will tell.

It's really simple for me, I want my own actual copy. A disc, cartridge....whatever.

I may change my mind if we saw digital distribution result in lower prices for games since they are cutting out significant production costs by not producing discs, cases, instruction manuals and the various retailer expenses but I am 100% sure that, for example, if Halo 4 were released digitally it would still be the same $60 in pure digital release as it will be at Best Buy.

Digital distrubition will do nothing but pad the bottom line of the publishers/developers, it will not provide a bottom line savings to consumers.

Well here is how I feel. I buy games for two reasons, the box and the multiplayer. If I don't want either of those, I will "procure" the game via other methods.

So really I hate digital distribution. Unless of course they lower the price but still ~$20 is about the max I am willing to pay for anything if I don't get something I can actually hold on to.

I just want to own a physical copy... once I pay for something, I don't want anyone else telling when, why, what, or where I can use it.

Not being able to trade/resell is what kills it for me. I pretty much ditch every game after I'm done playing it. I never replay games anymore so it's just pointless--I can't even play all the new games each year I want to, much less waste time replaying a game when I could be playing something new.

The physical copy thing I don't care so much about with games--probably just because I don't collect them or keep them around I guess. I do with CDs and DVDs though. I still buy CDs even though 99% of my music listening is on my MP3 players or my computer.

The DRM issues suck to. It's nice to be able to just borrow games from friends, lend your games to friends etc.

The lack of a resale value doesn't bother me much. My family has a terrible terrible packrat gene. I have a hard enough time getting rid of a cardboard box, for fear that I may need it someday.

The two big problems as I see it are Price and Bandwidth. Price-wise, rarely is the digital stuff cheaper than physical. Even though they save on shipping/packaging/storing and they cut out the middle man, we rarely see a benefit. As far as bandwidth is concerned, when we have to download everything, Game Developers have to save every byte to ensure the filesize is as minimal is possible. This could easily lead to stuff getting over-compressed or cut out. Just look at XBox Live Arcade. How often do we hear tales of people agonizing over its filesize limit (Portal, Street Fighter 2 HD, etc).

I don't care about resale, fancy packaging, or any of that stuff - my concern is whether or not I can back up what I've bought. If I want to play a game a few years down the road, I really can't trust the company to still allow me to play it. What if the company closed? what if they decide to close the download servers a la MSN Music?

There are not cheaper prices, either - it's just paying the same amount of money for less.

[quote name='infinitepez']
The two big problems as I see it are Price and Bandwidth. Price-wise, rarely is the digital stuff cheaper than physical. Even though they save on shipping/packaging/storing and they cut out the middle man, we rarely see a benefit. As far as bandwidth is concerned, when we have to download everything, Game Developers have to save every byte to ensure the filesize is as minimal is possible. This could easily lead to stuff getting over-compressed or cut out. Just look at XBox Live Arcade. How often do we hear tales of people agonizing over its filesize limit (Portal, Street Fighter 2 HD, etc).[/QUOTE]

The XBLA issues are little to do with bandwidth and a lot to do with Microsoft's boneheaded decision to produce an XBox 360 without a hard drive.

fuck digital-only distribution of media. Many great reasons have been listed above:
-You can't sell what you've paid for.
-You can't give/lend it to someone, or borrow from someone else.
-No sales.
-You can usually only get the media from one source. There is no competition so you have to pay what they are charging.
-As with music, they usually come riddled with DRM, and come in a lossy codec. If I paid for it, I want to be able to do with it what I will, and it had better be the entire song, not some compressed crap. Sure, I can't make copies of it for others, but I had damn well better be able to put a copy of it into my PC, my MP3 player, etc.

The one thing that DD has going for it is that revenues for the original developer, by cutting out the middleman retail outlet/publisher/distributor, should be much greater.

Too many negatives though, for sure.

The bigger question is, how many of you who appear to be against digital distribution are acting appropriately and not buying ANYTHING that is digitally distributed?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
The bigger question is, how many of you who appear to be against digital distribution are acting appropriately and not buying ANYTHING that is digitally distributed?[/quote]

Thank god I'm not the only one out there who thinks on this level. Instructions on getting your voice heard:

Step 1 - spoken coversation
Step 2 - speaking with your wallet

[quote name='QiG']I just want to own a physical copy... once I pay for something, I don't want anyone else telling when, why, what, or where I can use it.[/QUOTE]

This is why I don't like buying anything digital (I bought a few VC games, now I regret it). Sure they're usually a bit cheaper but until digital media is 50-60% cheaper than physical media, I don't see it being worth my money.

The only downloadable games I've paid for are Castlevania: SotN and Geometry Wars. Castlevania was cheaper than what I would have paid to get the PS1 disc and Geometry Wars was only $5 and is an awesome game that needs to be played.

I agree with you largely. The DRM is a real sticking point for me.

There are those who want instant gratification though and will download a game at home rather than having to spend the time and gas to get to the store when they can have it delivered right to their living room in the same/less time than it would take to go to the mall and stand in line.

Personally, if the Xbox 720 and PS4 are digital download only, I won't be buying them.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
The bigger question is, how many of you who appear to be against digital distribution are acting appropriately and not buying ANYTHING that is digitally distributed?[/QUOTE]

I've never bought a single MP3 as I care about having a physical CD that I can do whatever I want with. Similarly I'll never buy a digital movie (aside from rentals).

For games, I have less problems with DLC, expansions etc. I don't have as big a problem with whole games either--again aside from the fact that I'd hate not being able to sell or trade games. I don't keep games after I beat them so I don't care about not being able to play them down the road if the download company folds etc. But I do care about not being able to sell it, throw it on Goozex etc. to put toward another game.

I only like digital distribution for games that would not typically get a national release. Some XBLA/WiiWare/PSN games come to mind... but that's it. I don't agree or support the use of selling major games via Downloads (warhawk, GT5, etc). Expansions I have less of a problem with... IF the original game/acct is transferable and not linked ala WoW with the original discs/STEAM. I hate steam. Period. I especially hate that I cannot play my games if I am not connected to the internet (a trend that may happen with future EA games since they are looking at a new policy of verifying legitimacy every 24 hours with their games to combat piracy).

As expressed above, if the primary method of game distribution for the next generation systems (ps4, xbox3) I will be re-investing my gaming time into computer gaming. Many of the game companies (where there's no primary loyalty or franchise) have already been moving away from sole release on consoles anyway.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I agree with you largely. The DRM is a real sticking point for me.

There are those who want instant gratification though and will download a game at home rather than having to spend the time and gas to get to the store when they can have it delivered right to their living room in the same/less time than it would take to go to the mall and stand in line.

Personally, if the Xbox 720 and PS4 are digital download only, I won't be buying them.[/QUOTE]

I think many players feel this way (though, I enjoy going out to the store, so with few exceptions, I would almost rather drive to the store than to download it, everything being equal.

But, I think the problem is, there will be games next generation that you want to play. Vie it Grand Theft Auto 5, or Mario whatever, there is always a new must play game. If that is only offered via download, I think most players would get it anyway, even if they were crying the whole time. Once players break down an accept the first game, they'll accept future ones easier.

[quote name='lordxixor101']
But, I think the problem is, there will be games next generation that you want to play. Vie it Grand Theft Auto 5, or Mario whatever, there is always a new must play game. If that is only offered via download, I think most players would get it anyway, even if they were crying the whole time. Once players break down an accept the first game, they'll accept future ones easier.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely correct. Unlike a lot of other markets, the video game market has less risk of the whole "vote with your wallet thing". Gamers gotta have their fix, and video game companies can pull some seriously fucked up shit that wouldn't fly in other industries. The Red Ring of Death would be completely unacceptable in other areas of business, but Microsoft gets away with it because we gotta have our games. Nothing much can be done about it.

I do think with Digital Distribution you'd see gamers be much more selective with what they buy.

We already are in terms that most of us don't buy a lot of games at $60, but wait for sales, price drops, trade in deals, picking up on ebay or Goozex etc.

If it goes to digital distribution, sales and price drops would be much less common so I'd think people would be more apt to stick to just the AAA titles.

95% of the time I sell a game when I finish with it and overall end up coming out about even through generally buying stuff on sale/clearance/whatever so based on that I'm not going to be buying any digital content if I have a choice. If it goes all digital I'm sure I'll greatly reduce the number of games I buy.

two big reasons why i dont like it.

1. i want to own the physical copy and be able to resell the game should i want to.

2. future use. lets look at a the example of the backwords compatibility. right now i can play my playstation 1 games on any playstation system (well, depending on what ps3 you get). with xbox, many of those games can play on my 360. same with gamecube games on my wii. whos to say that i can play warhawk on my playstation 4. or that all the xbla & wii vc games i download will be able to transfer to the next system. i sure hope they can, but i doubt it. i like to save space, i dont want to have the 360, xbox 3, and 3 playstations, and 2 wiis hooked up to my entertainment center. so thats a big concern for me if digital distribution becomes the norm.

[quote name='magiic']The inability to resell what I have purchased makes digital distribution a no go for me[/quote]

QFT

I wonder how many copies of Half Life and Half Life 2 are locked in people's Steam accounts never to be used because Valve wants to sell the game to the next user and won't allow games to be sold in a secondary market?

It's bad enough with digital distribution, but Valve ties store bought games to the online system.:bomb:

Here is the problem being it cheaper, it would probably NEVER will be cheaper.

History has shown that Retail/Physical formats are cheaper more than the Digital distribution has, like 95% of the time!

Because Greedy companies just want YOUR money, so while it should be cheaper, it ISN'T going to be, period.

Anyone who believes that BS lie is just an Idiot!

In fact, Digital media will become even MORE expensive when Physical formats goes away. Bank on it!

http://newlevelgaming.blog-city.com/20_reasons_why_digital_distribution_is_bad_for_gamers.htm

http://www.defunctgames.com/shows.php?id=feuds-145

Lately, companies are forcing their Digital distribution on everyone, with NO option of Physical format! That's when it crosses the line, and if I wasn't totally against it before, I am NOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='NTolerance']Well, the ISPs are on your side. Soon they will collude to limit bandwidth and prevent digital distribution.[/quote]

You're an optimist. I think they will collude to force content providers or consumers to pay them a cut off the top for every digital transaction. They'll try to justify it as a bandwith tax, a supertoll for the internet superhighway.

We are here to talk about Digital Distribution, NOT ISPs.

While I can see it do have something to do with DD, but let's pretend if ISPs are not going to be a problem.

Let's pretend that the argument against DD, ISP is not that major of a concern.

I don't hate DD because ISP is not good enough. I hate it for 100s of other reasons than ISP reason!

The only games I have for Steam are Team Fortress 2, Peggle, and Braid. I paid $10-$15 for each, and they are games I really enjoy. I feel I'm going to get my money's worth out of each purchase and will not regret buying them via DD even if Steam goes away at a later date.

Actually, I just remembered that I bought TF2 retail for $10. But don't you have to be on Steam to play it? What if Steam is no more? It would be as useless as if it were purchased via DD. In fact, since I can run it through Steam without the disc, I'm not even sure where the disc is at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gung-ho DD. In fact, I was mostly opposed to it until I bought TF2. I do now enjoy the convenience of Steam though.

My ultimate beef with going all-DD is more of an aerial-view argument. I'm not 100% comfortable with having most of the things I enjoy in a form of 0s and 1s. In other words, I'm just not ready for the world to load everything onto computers and shred/destroy the originals. I think it is important to have some things in physical form and not be 100% reliant on computers.

But are discs with 0s and 1s embedded in them really physical form in the case of my above argument? I don't know.

It's late. I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Internet-people.

[quote name='SuperJedi']More people want to hating on Digital Distribution? Come in and release your Anger at DD! :)[/QUOTE]

I think most people would prefer physical copy. But eventually there will be this game that one you have to play, and it is only available as a digital formant. Most people will just in.

If were talking just Gaming here. Simple... I want my used cheap copy.

[quote name='camoor']They'll try to justify it as a bandwith tax, a supertoll for the internet superhighway.[/quote]

Remember them trying to charge for email? Not going to happen.

I hope...

I actully like digital distribution if it is used right. I think Steam got it perfectly even though you cant return or sell it back which I think could be a later feature once digital distribution gets really popular. Digital Distribution is only starting to get popular now. Not everyone is using it yet. Once I think the majority of people start to use digital distribution there will be better polices.

Somewhat of a big fan of Steam, and The stuff that GOG is doing looks pretty okay to me, in a lot of levels.

For most of the newer PC titles out thee, I don't really see a a viable used-market system anymore, with online activation, install limits, and whatever asinine DRM measure that was brought forth in the past, now in the present, and in the near future.

For me, I shop for the bargains. Most of the stuff in my Steam account were brought during the Weekend Deals, buying games at around $5-$15 price mark when it usually retails from $20-$50 on Steam, BB, CC (RIP), Amazon or whatever.

That being said, I'm somewhat worried and dubious on what would happen when Steam folds. I've heard rumors on what could happen, ranging from a downloadable "unlock" patch, to having a different method of authentication, to the consumer being bum-raped with non-functioning copies.

Also, as noted before, DD prices are slow to change, and at time are even set higher then physical copies. I wandered in to a well-known video-game store recently, and I spied a copy of L4D for $30. Steam's currently selling the game for $40. WTF happened to the whole notion that DD will be cheaper?

One more thing: I love collecting game Boxes. It's the same reason why I would only buy a lot of older games in complete sets. Part of the fun is playing the game of course, the the other part is having something to show of to your friend, filling in the gaps of your media library with an old-skool copy of Postal, Mechwarrior 2-4 + expansions, The original Magic Carpet game, or even the first 4 Everquest expansion + the original game box.

And let's not forget the added bonuses of cloth maps, shiny trinkets, nicely constructed game boxes, or even the chance to reminisce on dated but perfectly preserved developer catalogues which they highlight games that were never be released.

I used to be anti-DD, but my response is a bit tempered now. As long as there is still competition from physical media, they seem to be offering decent prices, sales, and other perks to make up for the missing CD and paper manual.

My only strong objection to contemporary DD is the way they shutdown your ability to sell the used games. By not allowing you to resell a downloaded game (either on your own or through Steam) they are violating the first sale rule and IMO are comitting an illegal act. I predict Steam has quite the class-action lawsuit coming to it.

I guess I just look at digital distribution (DD) differently than most. I'm not disgusted with DD over something trivial or stupid (imho) like resale or collection purposes. I detest it for one simple reason: replayability. For instance, I can take any NES game I own and play it on any NES out there, no fuss. 10, 20 years from now, will I be able to play my DD games? Will the service that I get it from even be in existence? I don't binge and purge games like most gamers here on CAG. I savor them and love the freedom of being able to go back to them at any time. I can take physical games anywhere with me and play them on someone else's system. Not being tied down to any account/service/system is the driving force for me loathing DD in any way, shape, or form. With no portability and no guarantees of future usage, I'll stick with physical media.

That being said, for those worried about resale, take note of what Stardock is doing with Impulse. They are going to be letting users sell their licenses to other users on there sometime in the near future. If other companies follow suit, I think all of you worried about resale will be happier.

Like Soda Popinski, with games simply not having the ability to trade/sell after beating or to use sites like Goozex to trade and acquire most of my games would keep me from ever supporting digital distribution. Games are a one play and done thing for me and just not worth buying if I'm out the money for good.

But if there is a way to sell or trade the license, then I could get on board.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']if DD eliminates retail, I'm all for it as long as different online outlets can sell on sale.[/QUOTE]

WHAT?

Why the hell do you hate retail?

Do you not notice/appreciate retail put games on cheap/clearance/sale so many MORE times than DD has ever been?

Sometimes people's thinking just boggles my mind.

If retails like Best Buy, Target is eliminated. We will NO longer be getting cheap games like $4.99/$9.99 when it's still like $49.99 like at Wal-mart or Most of the Digital Distribution services.

A recent factual example of this, was Best Buy a couple weeks ago, most people can't forget this already!

[quote name='QiG']Thank god I'm not the only one out there who thinks on this level. Instructions on getting your voice heard:

Step 1 - spoken coversation
Step 2 - speaking with your wallet[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am trying really HARD to Boycott Digital Distribution!

Like, Fallout 3's DLCs, I LOVE the game, but I am NOT going to use the DD method if I can.

I hate DD so much I am trying all I can do to make sure it ISN'T the future. Not gonna give in to the Dark side of the future!

But it SUCKS to wait forever until the DLCs actually comes out in Physical format in retail stores.

The companies have us cornered without much options, and I don't like it at all!

Eventually, me and the company are going to get ugly, they going to LOSE me as a loyal consumer by doing this CRAP!

I sure hope Justice Department (DOJ) goes after companies that ONLY put out stuff in Digital Distribution, but NO Physical format options for people want that instead, but DOJ probably don't care about matter like this, though.

The worst part is that other consumers DON'T care, they SUPPORT DD for stupid lazy reasons! (Doesn't appreciate retailer do sales/clearance so Often like a lot of us do) :(

[quote name='FroMann']I actully like digital distribution if it is used right. I think Steam got it perfectly even though you cant return or sell it back which I think could be a later feature once digital distribution gets really popular. Digital Distribution is only starting to get popular now. Not everyone is using it yet. Once I think the majority of people start to use digital distribution there will be better polices.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on that!

Companies just want MORE MONEY.

This Digital distribution method is a clever way for them to do just that... but NOT really something benefit consumers more, though.

To let you resell, does NOT benefit them, so I doubt it's gonna happen, period.

bread's done
Back